What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

Replaying Witcher 3 as coworker keeps talking about it on Switch.  Aerondight is pretty handy for an NG+ playthrough.  Think I wil concede defeat on Battletech, maybe will just cheat to get the SP campaign over with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Everyone's playing Outer Worlds and I feel out of the loop. Ha. I'm still not sure if I want to buy it for PS4. Not because I think I won't at least like the game ... I'd just rather play it on my souped up PC. But a year ...  :P

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

21 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Everyone's playing Outer Worlds and I feel out of the loop. Ha. I'm still not sure if I want to buy it for PS4. Not because I think I won't at least like the game ... I'd just rather play it on my souped up PC. But a year ...  😛

You can buy it from the windows store.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

10 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

You can buy it from the windows store.

I already explained I won't buy it from Windows Store, a page back or so.
Edit: And I won't buy it on Epic either, until they stop with the exclude-Steam contract nonsense. Not because I think Steam is uber or have great love for Steam (I don't), I just don't like such business tactics.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I went back to see your posts.  Apparently, I'd just purchased the game on the Microsoft Store platform.  I seriously don't get the problem.  I'm playing the game.  It seems to play like the game is supposed to play.  It pales in comparison to Deadfire, but it's a fun title.  Is this an 'on principle' sort of thing?  If so, I think it's misguided, but I'll drop the issue.  If it's a question of how the game performs when purchased from the Microsoft Store, it seems to be working pretty damned well so far.  I'm only level 2.  I haven't played much, but the graphics are good, combat goes without any issues (other than getting killed a couple of times), and I'm currently running the game while tabbed out to Edge.  Everything is cranked to the highest settings graphics-wise except for the resolution.  I only have that at 1920x1080 and that's because I enjoy playing on my television and it's about five years old.  I'm sure the game supports higher resolution settings.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

19 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Is this an 'on principle' sort of thing? 

It's more a matter of apparently not wanting the game quite enough to make myself put up with Microsoft software/app/driver installs, blah blah. I don't like tons of stuff on my PC or super cluttered registries. I only got Steam because I wanted FO:NV so badly at the time and even now only have about 100 games purchased on Steam, most of which I barely touched.

Didn't care about consoles ever until I really wanted FFXV and thought it wouldn't come to PC at all for years (I was wrong) so I bought one (it's now mostly a paperweight/streaming TV use).

It's just my way. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

It's more a matter of apparently not wanting the game quite enough to make myself put up with Microsoft software/app/driver installs, blah blah. I don't like tons of stuff on my PC or super cluttered registries. I only got Steam because I wanted FO:NV so badly at the time and even now only have about 100 games purchased on Steam, most of which I barely touched.

Didn't care about consoles ever until I really wanted FFXV and thought it wouldn't come to PC at all for years (I was wrong) so I bought one (it's now mostly a paperweight/streaming TV use).

It's just my way. 😛

For what it's worth, I'm with you in general, I decided to buy it on WinStore mainly to say **** you to Epic in a way that also supports Obsidian. Also, I haven't noticed any extra apps/software popping up since installing, I just have an icon on my desktop that starts the game, as much hassle as any game I've installed from GOG. Then again, it's still DRM'd and such I suppose, I haven't tried booting without internet because I'm way too lazy. :p

Another alternative would be to buy that game pass for a while to play TOW, then drop it and buy the game in a year from Steam. I'll be buying it again when/if it comes to GOG.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

I don't understand.  Why a year?  It's playing on my PC right now.  I don't know if it's "souped up," but the graphics still look pretty good.

Well, will probably be on a sale in a year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm actually surprised about all the positive reviews, because I still remember FNV getting slammed by lots folk. Now folks look at this game as a spiritual successor to FNV.

Who knows, maybe the game won't do bad and we'll get some fancy DLCs.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

44 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I'm actually surprised about all the positive reviews, because I still remember FNV getting slammed by lots folk. Now folks look at this game as a spiritual successor to FNV.

Who knows, maybe the game won't do bad and we'll get some fancy DLCs.

Well... FNV was literally unplayable at launch for a lot of people (including yours truly, who could play for a maximum of 15min without a CTD), so that kinda didn't do it any favours. Took a very long time to get it to a playable state and it's still one of the more buggy games in that engine (might have to fight Fallout 4 for the honour).

Anyway, don't have all that much time to game due to house renovation projects so mostly mucking around in games that don't require any form of commitment, been creeping closer to 100% on Skyrim and been doing some more building in Conan Exiles (should check out that new dungeon as well at some point)

There was some bad save corruption going on with New Vegas too I think? A problem like that is pretty much worst-case scenario because it's the least recoverable type of problem - it'd drive plenty of people to simply quit.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Just beat the main game of Witcher 3 and about to do the expansions now.  This game was hands down one of the best games to come out since the shadow run games.  Used a mod to use any item any level and explored all the nodes except skelligade.   Just to close to finishing it so just did the main secondary quests there to prevent burnout.  Damn, several moments in the story was very well done, just had a blast with it.  Once I finish the expansions, dunno what I’m gonna play next bc RD2 is to massive of a ya me for me to take on without burnout. 

Finished The Outer Worlds. Took me about 35 hours. There was only one quest I didn't do (because it was the most tedious in a game that otherwise had great quests). It didn't really do anything new or surprising; TOW is a great example of a game that executes really well on what it sets out to do without having to lean on being different or new or subversive to standout. Really liked the game. I'll probably play it again in the future, but not for a couple of years.

• Like 3

Festival of the Lost in Destiny 2

Having quite a bit of fun with it. The haunted forest is fun. Got a randomly dropped exotic, the solar hand cannon. It's similar to the void pulse rifle, makes the target explode and anyone who dies from the explosion also explodes. Great for clearing weak enemies with a chain reaction.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Been playing The Outer World.  I'm somewhat into the game, I guess third level and I've been bouncing from place to place.  I just made it to the botanical gardens.  I've taken out a bunch of marauders.  I went into some community center and got handled fairly quickly.  Bastards bum rushed me.  So, I've enjoyed the game.  It's actually started to grow on me, which is a surprise judging from how lackluster I found the beginning.  I have a few observations:

Literature, this ain't.  The dialogue is insipid.  It reads like a Bethsoft game, which is no compliment.

I think of it only loosely as Fallout.  The colors are nice, if a bit overdone.  I think most things are overdone in the game.

Exploration is cool.  It has that in common with Fallout, but, to reference Bethesda once again, it's also a lot like Morrowind or Skyrim.  Colorful locations with a lot of phat loot everywhere.

I'm playing on... I think normal or the next highest?  I probably won't even start supernova, but whatever difficulty I'm playing is pretty forgiving for someone who's literally just running into trouble for the hell of it.

The premise is interesting, but the whole "Eval coprorations are bad!!1!" schtick is just plain old.  Now, I'm early enough in the story that maybe they'll do something more interesting with it.  I would say this sort of industry bashing is new to our age, but it's not.  We didn't create Robin Hood, after all.  David gave Goliath what for.  It's a caricature, of course, on the level of parody, but it's merely annoying sometimes rather than being a deal breaker for me.

I have one companion so far, Parvati, and I like her.  The setting and dialogue are kind like Firefly. That IS a compliment.  The quality isn't as good as Firefly, but I can kind of pretend I'm in that setting while I play.

I highly doubt I'm going to make it through NG+ in Code Vein. The jump in difficulty is huge. I'm having a slightly harder time with enemies (especially bosses) than the first time through, and I'm not going to scale nearly as much as I progress in the game, which will make the late game bosses nigh impossible... for someone of my skill level (read: garbage-tier). I can gain more levels and my HP still scales well, but damage scaling has diminished and stamina scaling is mostly non-existent, I already have some of the strongest gear in the game, so unless there is NG+ exclusive gear for me to get, my gear won't scale at all. 

Edit: I've beaten 3 bosses (of roughly 16 or 17) in NG+ so far, so I'm making progress, I'm just anticipating the mid to late portions of the game are going to be brutal because I'm not going to scale that much. I'm going to give it a shot, I just don't expect to succeed.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guild Wars 2 is still my main time sink, but when playing single player games, I'm sort of all over the place at the moment. Sometimes playing Tyranny, sometimes Nier: Automata, sometimes Code Vein and sometimes Conan: Exiles.

(and Microsofts Solitaire and Mahjong games, as well as Master of Orion 2 quickies)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Okay, I'm now level five and The Outer Worlds is actually quite good.  Dialogue is terrible and the voice acting is pretty bad for an Obsidian title, but the gameplay is damned fun.  The campy humor is totally over the top, but it works pretty well.  Rarely laugh out loud, but I recognize the humor at least.  Haven't concentrated on quests, but I've completed a couple inadvertently.  I found this bolter handgun and it's extremely effective.  First mechanical I fought was in a marauder camp and it was one of the tougher fights.  Then I went into the area with a bunch of mechanicals and they went down like a bunch of chumps. 

EDIT:  I've cleared the geothermal power plant, but

when I get to the power redirect terminal, it says the power plant status is 22%.  I've managed to find three terminals that *appear* to increase power flow, but no change in status.

I wonder if it's possible to fix it.

Edited by MedicineDan

Might have to pause from Outer Worlds until a bug is fixed with one of the companion quests.  Won't go into spoilers, but essentially the quest is listed as "failed" as I'm talking to the companion because, for some reason, the game considers that companion dead.  Even though, you know, I'm literally talking to them at that moment.

I don't want to play further into the game until this is patched/resolved as I don't want to end up having one of my companions considered "dead" throughout the remainder of the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing lots of The Outer Worlds (over 20 hours now) and damn did I miss this type of game. There is a long list of things I absolutely hate about this game but here I am, playing ~4 hours per day. But seriously though, if someone could mod this game to be proper real-time with pause, action queued, auto aimed, and attribute/skill based hit determination, that would be great. Also whoever wrote Martin Callahan should get a bonus.

7 hours ago, GhostofAnakin said:

Might have to pause from Outer Worlds until a bug is fixed with one of the companion quests.  Won't go into spoilers, but essentially the quest is listed as "failed" as I'm talking to the companion because, for some reason, the game considers that companion dead.  Even though, you know, I'm literally talking to them at that moment.

I don't want to play further into the game until this is patched/resolved as I don't want to end up having one of my companions considered "dead" throughout the remainder of the game.

Dangerous decision, this is why I still haven't finished Dragon Age: Origins' Awakening expansion. One of these days I will get to that, I'm sure ;)