What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

Priest and cipher or a multiclass of both have the most dialogue options IIRC

Though I'd say race (island shark people) and culture (island shark people culture) probably have the most unique reactions and dialogue. I think someone in the Yoga Fire section counted them all up but I don't have the link on hand.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but I always play a wizard or wizard/cipher

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

so GoG have discount on Deadfire so I guess I am going to give it a shot. Any hints on what might be good RP class? I felt like first game was tuned for ciphers with all that soul stuff around. Considering its continuation of first game with 'same' character I will stick to cipher and that pirates are the thing of second game i will multiclass to thief?

Good/bad? any thoughts?

Cipher is a good choice, I suppose. There are several cipher-only dialogue options.
Pirates, the Principi sen Patrena, is just one of four main factions and can be (almost) completely ignored. Backgrounds and cultures related to the said factions get more unique reactions, than others. So, multiclassing is optional and there's a cipher/rogue sidekick.

I'm having a lot easier time fighting these bosses in Borderlands 3 using FLAK than I was using Moze.  Maybe it's just that my pet seems to distract the enemy and allows me to take shots without being the focus on attention, but one would think Moze's tank ability would outweigh that.  But it doesn't.

The Grave boss (forget the full name) was so easy with FLAK.  It just took time because of its ridiculous HP, but I never once was in jeopardy of dying.  Yet I rage quit at least twice and died at least 3 times with Moze when I fought that boss the first time.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

5 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

so GoG have discount on Deadfire so I guess I am going to give it a shot. Any hints on what might be good RP class? I felt like first game was tuned for ciphers with all that soul stuff around. Considering its continuation of first game with 'same' character I will stick to cipher and that pirates are the thing of second game i will multiclass to thief?

Good/bad? any thoughts?

Are you using turnstyle? If so, use guns. They're OP 'cause you get an equal number of attacks each turn with not reload time.

Ah, got my first new sidekick and I already don't like her. Why can't we get some sane priest companions from time to time xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hoping someone here can help me identify a PC game from the 90s. It was a space/sci-fi (strategy?) game where you had a ship and had to mine planets (and possibly asteroids) for some rare mineral but not like Starflight mining but more like strip mining and maybe also setting up planetary defenses or doing managerial stuff something. I think you worked for the bad guys then rebelled or something but I'm probably misremembering a lot of things since it's been over 20 years.

I know that's not much to go on but it's been bugging me all day. 

This is the first thing, which for some reason came to my head after reading your request. It's probably not what you search for though, but it's both space and strategy and has iirc some meteors as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Legacy

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

After spending half the day on the line my good friend Google figured it out. 

Maelstrom

Description
Maelstrom is a managerial space strategy and simulation game. After the last great war, a small and previously unnoticed planet, Zokbar J, seized the opportunity and pounced on the broken pieces, creating the "Syndicate," which now vies for domination of the galaxy. You defected, and now control Harmony, a large Fitzholium miner, and can manage your planets' resources to build a fleet and defeat the Syndicate.

• Thanks 1

What about the game Syndicate from the 90s?  Nothing like going to town with a mini-gun ....

Playing Dragon Age Inquisition after burning through Origins pretty quickly on normal mode.  Debating if I should go back and play Dragon Age 2, not sure I can get into the Action RPG of it all.  Pretty great stories, really liking Inquisition, really amazing games.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Gave a decent go to Disco Elysium (bout 5 hours).

Loving it so far. It gives me Planescape vibe, with it's heavy focus on writing and interactions. It is an RPG through and through, with plenty of checks. Your skills acting as characters talking to you and pointing/informing of things is creative and intruiging. You also can die... a lot. In unexpected but not unforeshadowed ways. Save often folks. 

The time passing mechanic so far looks interesting. Possibly the most promising time mechanic I have seen in a game.

It is a slow burner though. Those hours culminated in achieving a task I set out to do when starting. Lot's of talking, inspecting, and tinkering.

Artstyle is amazing. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Gave a decent go to Disco Elysium (bout 5 hours).

Loving it so far. It gives me Planescape vibe, with it's heavy focus on writing and interactions. It is an RPG through and through, with plenty of checks. Your skills acting as characters talking to you and pointing/informing of things is creative and intruiging. You also can die... a lot. In unexpected but not unforeshadowed ways. Save often folks. 

The time passing mechanic so far looks interesting. Possibly the most promising time mechanic I have seen in a game.

It is a slow burner though. Those hours culminated in achieving a task I set out to do when starting. Lot's of talking, inspecting, and tinkering.

Artstyle is amazing. 

This is the kind of first-person feedback i've been hoping for to help me decide on the game. I am completely sold on this game's RPG elements. I just tend to dislike games that are not of a 'medieval' nature and instead are 'contemporary,' so that's the only thing that sort of concerns me.

1 minute ago, kanisatha said:

I just tend to dislike games that are not of a 'medieval' nature and instead are 'contemporary,' so that's the only thing that sort of concerns me.

That's up to you. No swords no sorcery (so far?) Here. Technology wise it seems fairly all over the place - its borrowing from many different periods. 

Haven't made up my mind about the setting - am a bit lost, but that's fine, so is my character. 

While it does give me planescape vibe, its focus reminded me of Fallout: mostly focusing on your character and your reactions rather then straight up world/plot development. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:17 PM, GhostofAnakin said:

I'm having a lot easier time fighting these bosses in Borderlands 3 using FLAK than I was using Moze.  Maybe it's just that my pet seems to distract the enemy and allows me to take shots without being the focus on attention, but one would think Moze's tank ability would outweigh that.  But it doesn't.

The Grave boss (forget the full name) was so easy with FLAK.  It just took time because of its ridiculous HP, but I never once was in jeopardy of dying.  Yet I rage quit at least twice and died at least 3 times with Moze when I fought that boss the first time.

Yeah, I've been Flak and hubby eventually settled on Moze (mostly because of the critical hit ammo regen skill). He's been consistently of-level or over-leveled at bosses and I keep thinking his weapons must extra-suck because he does so much less damage/dies a lot. Jabber's rocket launcher does do a lot of damage tho, if you use it, even against bosses. But I've built for health-regen and damage and pets do distract. And of course Fade/crits is extremely powerful even if they nerfed it a bit.

But Fake-Nero seems too fast for the early mech suit to be helpful for example.  It's too slow, animation of getting in and out takes too long, stuff like that. They're going to tweak the skills a lot later I hear. Mech suit is too weak in harder difficulties and pets, while great in Normal, die too fast in TVHM/Mayhem3. Common w/pets in games really. I'd like to try a melee-focused Amara someday.

I'm still barely in the main plot, if the # of chapters I've read are correct. I finished Jakob's Estate on Eden6 and am just fluffing around there because I'm too lazy to do much else. Eden6 is finally a planet I actually like the design of...mostly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started Jade Empire for the first time in years. Immediately got sucked in despite the terrible combat. Makes me sad how far BioWare's fallen. A game with a fraction of the budget, less than a 10th of the people working on it, and 1/3rd as technically competence is still twenty times as fun as Anthem.

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 3

My party is now level 16 in Deadfire.  I've had a lot of weird things happen.  The biggest news most recently is that I set a sea dragon free after siphoning off enough of its soul to keep the druids going for the time being.  I simply killed off the slavers on their island.  I figured I'd be screwed somewhere along the line, but apparently it doesn't matter that much.

Anyhow, I (b)finally (/b) figured out that I can move to places within cities by clicking on specific locations once I click on a district.  Good Lord!  THEN, I found out I can sail to places immediately by clicking on known locations.  I'm telling you, I'm kicking myself.  However, since I'm (b)already(/b) planning my next run, it's not so bad.

I have literally lost sleep playing this game, which is a hallmark of greatness.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

31 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Oh, so that is why I can't wake up in the morning. I must have stumbled across your lost sleep.

Damn you!  Give it back!  Finally quit for the night.  I'm in some sort of undead city.  I'm not at my most alacritous right now, but I think this has to do with some sort of Flying Dutchman thing in the game.  Rat bastard game keeps me up to all hours.

Keep having connection issues in Destiny 2 and I'm simply about to give up. The last three missions I've done I've gotten disconnected partway through each time and I've pretty much had it at this point.

Can't even blame it on the new expansion rush either as this crap had been going on prior to the Steam move.

Ugh, well, new dungeon in Conan Exiles, let's go check that out instead I guess.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Yeah, I've been Flak and hubby eventually settled on Moze (mostly because of the critical hit ammo regen skill). He's been consistently of-level or over-leveled at bosses and I keep thinking his weapons must extra-suck because he does so much less damage/dies a lot. Jabber's rocket launcher does do a lot of damage tho, if you use it, even against bosses. But I've built for health-regen and damage and pets do distract. And of course Fade/crits is extremely powerful even if they nerfed it a bit.

But Fake-Nero seems too fast for the early mech suit to be helpful for example.  It's too slow, animation of getting in and out takes too long, stuff like that. They're going to tweak the skills a lot later I hear. Mech suit is too weak in harder difficulties and pets, while great in Normal, die too fast in TVHM/Mayhem3. Common w/pets in games really. I'd like to try a melee-focused Amara someday.

I'm still barely in the main plot, if the # of chapters I've read are correct. I finished Jakob's Estate on Eden6 and am just fluffing around there because I'm too lazy to do much else. Eden6 is finally a planet I actually like the design of...mostly.

I spoke too soon.  FLAK sucks against the Agonizer 9000.  The companion dies all the time because it can't avoid the sweeping blade attack, or for whatever reason it doesn't shoot at the mech boss.  I'll even give it commands and it'll just wander around until the blades kill it.  That's the one boss fight so far where I had an easier time with Moze than with FLAK.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just finished off a dragon in what I assume is DLC.  I finally find a bunch of fellow pale elves and they try to get me killed.  I got it on the first try, but I managed to make a fairly significant mistake so Serefen ended up with two wounds.  Still, it was a fun battle.  Since my (wizard) main was the only one doing significant damage to him at the end, and he was looking pretty bad, I don't know if I would have made it had my last spell not hit.  Serefen did some good damage.  Disintegrate can ruin a day if it hits.  Still, that bony bastard dragon had a real hardon for the little runt.  Fun times!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GhostofAnakin said:

I spoke too soon.  FLAK sucks against the Agonizer 9000.  The companion dies all the time because it can't avoid the sweeping blade attack, or for whatever reason it doesn't shoot at the mech boss.  I'll even give it commands and it'll just wander around until the blades kill it.  That's the one boss fight so far where I had an easier time with Moze than with FLAK.

What tree are you focused on? I don't really rely on the pet for anything - he makes me laugh a lot and he's capable of (slowly) taking care of "trash mobs" or even "badasses" quite often. But I don't go into boss fights thinking he'll do much actual dmg. Him being able to revive me has occasionally saved me when I get over-aggressive with a dozen mob baddies tho. Aggressive is my style.

I think the pet AI always goes for the little guys in a boss fight if they're closer (vs aiming at a boss) plus Jabber's weapon range is a bit limited.

I just finished the 2nd Vault (took 7-8 minutes but was no sweat, pet contributed hardly nothing to the boss dmg.) and am on the way to the Agonizer I guess.  2nd Pandora looks side-quest boring and I don't want to get too overleveled so I'm skipping for now and going main quest.  (edit - Eden-6 is still my fave planet)

I do have some pretty hefty weapons tho. Like this no-delay Maliwan shotgun that does cyro or 500 dps corrosive. It's a lvl 24 weapon and it's just crazy even at my lvl 32. All non-bosses die with one or two shots and a few seconds of waiting. I'll be sad when it finally gets too weak.  (edit - I do think enemies do more dmg. overall even if you're of-level than in the first two games)

Also, the Homing/Bouncy (the key traits) + Money (or healing) grenades are the bomb. I use those to clear out mobs faster more than my guns at the moment (cause, no target chasing) and seem to have no problem keeping grenade stock up. Hubby now wants one for himself. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

What tree are you focused on? I don't really rely on the pet for anything - he makes me laugh a lot and he's capable of (slowly) taking care of "trash mobs" or even "badasses" quite often. But I don't go into boss fights thinking he'll do much actual dmg. Him being able to revive me has occasionally saved me when I get over-aggressive with a dozen mob baddies tho. Aggressive is my style.

I think the pet AI always goes for the little guys in a boss fight if they're closer (vs aiming at a boss) plus Jabber's weapon range is a bit limited.

I just finished the 2nd Vault (took 7-8 minutes but was no sweat, pet contributed hardly nothing to the boss dmg.) and am on the way to the Agonizer I guess.  2nd Pandora looks side-quest boring and I don't want to get too overleveled so I'm skipping for now and going main quest.  (edit - Eden-6 is still my fave planet)

I do have some pretty hefty weapons tho. Like this no-delay Maliwan shotgun that does cyro or 500 dps corrosive. It's a lvl 24 weapon and it's just crazy even at my lvl 32. All non-bosses die with one or two shots and a few seconds of waiting. I'll be sad when it finally gets too weak.  (edit - I do think enemies do more dmg. overall even if you're of-level than in the first two games)

Also, the Homing/Bouncy (the key traits) + Money (or healing) grenades are the bomb. I use those to clear out mobs faster more than my guns at the moment (cause, no target chasing) and seem to have no problem keeping grenade stock up. Hubby now wants one for himself. 😛

I've been focusing on the skill tree that regenerates health and stuff.  I don't necessarily need my pet to do a lot of damage to the bosses, but I'd like it if they actually did what I told them to do.  The command function is there for a reason, but even though I've got the rocket launcher jabber equipped to fire rockets at who I command him to, he just stands there looking at the boss until he gets killed.  I can't even use him as a revival tool because he's always dead way before I actually need him to save me.

The Troy fight is also giving me more problems with FLAK than it did with Moze.  A part of it is the same frustration I had the first time with Moze, where my shields don't seem to be doing what they're supposed to.  With Moze, my shields seemed to actually absorb those energy balls Troy shoots at you.  Now, they hit me all the time, taking out my shields, then he follows up with a melee strike that takes my health.  And of course my pet does nothing, stands too close to him, and just ends up dying right away.  At least with Moze she had that mech bear that was almost like a "cheat shield" where if I found I was losing too much health, I could activate it and do some damage while hiding behind its stronger shields.

The best weapon I currently have equipped is a purple gun I bought from that nutjob aboard Sanctuary who sells you stuff for Eridium.  That's a bit disappointing considering the fact I've literally got an entire bank full of "legendary orange" weapons, but they're not nearly as effective as a purple I bought.  Kind of wish the orange gear would be extra special so when you find one, it's like a big deal.  Instead, it's like, "Oh cool, an orange.  I'll just put this in my stash for collection sake".