PoE3 or Tyranny2?

megablast2

I hope for PoE3 to like tie it up. Either smash the wheel and send gods to abyss, or restore the wheel and ascend as new god of rebirth.

Any fantasy trillogy without godlike transcendence just doesnt cut it.

Or... it is time of Beta Protocol with best of Deus Ex, Cyberpunk and Splinter Cell. The world is ready.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked both PoE2 (better even than PoE) and tyranny. Combat wise, I prefer Tyranny, but I think the world of PoE has more potential.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

48 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Could be the historical RPG Sawyer's been wanting to make.

Well, I don't remember cursed infantry being a thing, and when Sawyer says "historical" I assume he means historical. There is also the boob armor. I don't think that's very Sawyer-like.

The whole thing has very fantasy feel to it. I dig it though. Action RPG with Dark Souls inspired combat?  Set character (Sera seems to be the [or a] protagonist)? Since I played Dark Souls I have been wanting a Gothic game but with Dark Souls combat... one can dream....

Edited by Wormerine

22 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Well, I don't remember cursed infantry being a thing, and when Sawyer says "historical" I assume he means historical. There is also the boob armor. I don't think that's very Sawyer-like.

The whole thing has very fantasy feel to it. I dig it though. Action RPG with Dark Souls inspired combat?  Set character (Sera seems to be the [or a] protagonist)? Since I played Dark Souls I have been wanting a Gothic game but with Dark Souls combat... one can dream....

Yeah you're right. I didn't click on the images to take a closer look.

In any case, seems like Obsidian is all about first-person perspective with their games these days (the job ads recently highlighted by people specifically mention first-person melee combat). So I probably won't get to play another Obsidian game for a long time to come. Sucks for me.

26 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

In any case, seems like Obsidian is all about first-person perspective with their games these days (the job ads recently highlighted by people specifically mention first-person melee combat). 

Interesting. I wonder, if there is something fudamentaly easier (or/and cheaper) about 1st person perspective. For melee combat I generally prefer Third person view. 

23 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Interesting. I wonder, if there is something fudamentaly easier (or/and cheaper) about 1st person perspective. For melee combat I generally prefer Third person view. 

I think a lot of gamers' view is that first-person is what gives you the greatest amount of immersion in the world in an RPG, and this view has now seeped into the mindset of RPG developers. I personally disagree very strongly and also prefer third-person but as with everything else so too here, my view/preference is in the minority apparently. And first-person is just too jarring and confusing and frustrating a perspective for me to be able to handle such that I enjoy the game.

• 1 month later...

Found these recent articles about the intersection of MS, Game Pass, Xbox, and the studios MS has recently bought (including of course Obsidian). Very interesting reads, including in the context of recent comments by Sawyer re. the prospects for a PoE3:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-09-how-minecraft-and-mojang-taught-xbox-how-to-buy-studios

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-09-developing-for-xbox-game-pass-i-could-never-pitch-these-ideas-to-a-publisher

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-10-are-xbox-series-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

• Thanks 2

Yes, the very hope was that with Micr focus on gamepass the studios will be allowed to work on variety on projects: the big, the small and the niche. We will see how long it will last, and how well it will turn out, but for now we might have few things to look forward to.

The "held-back-by-XBOX-one" is not something I quite understand. The promise was of 1 year support for the older console - which isn't long. Most studios they aquired won't have a flagship big titles in that time (like Avowed) so they might/might not be released for series X only. Things like Psychonauts2 or Wasteland3 aren't exactly next gen. I suppose most of complaints come from the new Halo, which I don't have an opinion about. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that you're not looking to create PoE 3, but please keep making CPRGs

renderTimingPixel.png

Pillars of Eternity 1/2 are probably my most favorite rpgs since DA:O. You guys have the potential to create another great game and be strong competitors to the upcoming BG3.

I played both PoE2 and DoS2. I honestly believe the SOLE reason that game performed better is due to the marketing. The combat system in that game is very janky (I hate the magic armor/physical armor), boring itemization, short and boring story, and ONLY turn-based.

PoE 2 improved on EVERYTHING that PoE 1 lacked. With that being said -- never do the pirate theme again. I'm sorry, your audience loves fantasy rpgs and one could argue that pirates are very niche. I think we want to be like Varian Wyrnn and not Jack Sparrow.

The reason DA:O is one of my favorite games is the "conditions-based" gameplay. I know this is technically under the "RTWP" gameplay style, but I would consider otherwise. I literally create conditions so that my toons play themselves. I cannot find this in ANY other RPG and I LOVE that about this game. I play PoE2 over and over, waiting for your next game.

edit: whoops

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.