So I cant get this very interesting unique weapon out of my head , considering you can acquire it very early and maybe I could even export second copy via hired companions for double the effects, Any ideas for interesting builds using this weapon or two of them ? Im thinking because it turns you invisible on Crit one of the classes for character should be Rogue for the backstabs, also sceptres dont get penalty for being in melee range which is great, voidward to reduce raw damage , stalking cloak to stun from invisible , also I could burn rogue recourses and some potions on more chances to go invisible , multi class options that comes to mind could be either fighter (devoted or tactician) or monk(Helwalker or shattered pillar), priest of Wael gets same skills as rogue trickster but uses priest resources. Another idea would be to get "ranged backstab" mod that would open more possibilities for ranged builds.

Anyone tried anything like that ? 

ranger/fighter probably. you miss out on stunning shots from ranger, but you still get driving flight and all the acc bonuses. Mixing in a fighter lets you get tactical barrage (boeroer rightly corrects this as disciplined strikes), which gives you 25% hit-to-crit and +5 additional perception (accuracy). at that point with all ranger bonuses active even on upscaling PotD you would be doing mostly crits against enemies (up to +50 accuracy from ranger, +5 perception, and then the remaining hit chance you have 25% of it converts to crits).

if you want to mix in subclasses, a sharpshooter/devoted might do even better. Sharpshooter gives you hit-to-crit at range; fighter's Armored Grace can mitigate the sharpshooter's recovery penalty when wearing light or better armor (doesn't do anything for you if you're wearing cloth). In addition, Devoted mitigates PEN concerns and you get a +25% crit damage bonus, which would be rather sizable with such a huge crit rate.

while you don't get a rogue out of any of that, you can pick up the Stalking Cloak mid-game and stun enemies every time you come out of invisibility. problem with backstab is that you have to be pretty close to trigger backstab, so unless you're real good about staying in range you would squander that aspect of being rogue or part rogue.

side note: it's a little annoying that everything wael-related is so inconsistent. Eye of Wael is a scepter, but priest of wael's spiritual weapon is a rod.  Priest of Wael's spiritual weapon's lash is shock, but the Symbol of Wael spell does frost damage. Or maybe that's not inconsistent, it's intentional and part of the MysTeRy oF WaEl.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

You mean Disciplined Strikes (Intuitive). Tactical Barrage gives you Acute + Aware.

My take would be Helwalker/Ranger. Not only does he get the MIG bonus and the speed and lösh from Lightning Strikes, but also +2 PEN and +5 MIG from Thunderous Blows and +12 ACC from Enduring Dance. Also the Scepter's modal will give you wounds while firing but will not break Enduring Dance. With Stunning Surge you wil make sure deflction drops even further (-10 Deflection equals +10 ACC) and with such many crits you can use it a lot of times since the cost gets refunded. 

Of course you can't use Backstab/Assassinate then. But the Stalking Cloak would be cool enough I think...?

From a roleplaying perspective an Illusionist or Illusionist/Assassin makes most sense. The best part of the Eye of Wael is the Power Level bonus. If you'd be an Illusionist and have two of them and the mask you'd have +7 Power Level with illusions. Try them with Kalakoth's Freezing Rake... :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

24 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

My take would be Helwalker/Ranger. Not only does he get the MIG bonus and the speed and lösh from Lightning Strikes, but also +2 PEN and +5 MIG from Thunderous Blows and +12 ACC from Enduring Dance.

can't tell if that 'lösh' was intentional, but i found it humorous nonetheless.

only problem with enduring dance (my original idea as well) is that it won't stack with hunter's claw, whereas the +5 PER/25% hit to crit from tactical barragedisciplined strikes would. enduring dance would add more consistency, but in practice i didn't find it too hard to rest and ramp up hunter's claw with maia whenever I expected to run into a consistent batch of enemies (edit - though actually would be a little bit more annoying in a multiclass just because of fewer ranger resources per fight). if consistency is desired, adding in a priest for devotions might be better. hard to say no to lightning strikes (or whatabout swift flurry? does that work with ranged? you'd be critting left and right) though.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Some time ago I tested this and no matter how many enemies I crit with a spell: Obfuscation never went off.

But with Driving Flight, Accurate Wounding Shot and the ACC of a Ranger it procs pretty often on the scepter's attack. So I guess it's safe to say it's only working with the attacks from the scepter. It may be  that "Illusive Spells" (which get triggered from scepter crits as well) would proc Obfuscation. Because spells that proc off of weapons often count as weapon attacks themselves.

Since you can never know if it was the scepter attack itself that triggered Obfuscation or the Illusive Spell that followed it's hard to tell. But anyway: you can't trigger Obfuscation via usual spellcasting, sorry.

But did you know that "Illusive Spell" applies that random illusion spell effect not only on that one enemy - but it actually indeed casts a proper spell with AoE and all? Like you hit one enemy with the scepter, it procs Gaze of the Adragan and all enemies around your target become petrified as well?
With Driving Flight I sometimes have two procs of Illusive Spell at once (for example all enemies in range were blinded and also dazed from Curse of the Blackened Sight + Dazzling Lights).

• Thanks 1

I never thought of using this wand as an offensive weapon particularly in a ranged damage build. I mean it's  great weapon, as is Tekehu's wand. But since it's a wand/scepter I never thought about using it in this way. Cool idea actually. :)

Edited by AeonsLegend

Thank you Boeroer. That's pretty interesting. But not quite what I had in mind. As I play in Turn Based, I don't like to "waste" any rounds attacking.

Hmm... so far it seems to me that.. once again... Engoliero de Espirs might be my stat-stick/force multiplier of choice.

So far I'm using Blightheart and its not bad. Sometimes Sun&Moon with Magran's favor... but usually I'm not casting that many Fire spells. Less then 40%.

Seems to me that if I could trigger aoe kill chains, Engoliero (with sneak attacks and Deathblows) could outperform the Blightheart's 10% lash. And heal my Bloodmage char to boot!

Edited by Haplok

Maybe have a look at "A Whale of a Wand". It has the enchantment "Sea Stories" that has 10% chance to charm an enemy with spells you cast. Didn't use it myself though, so no idea if that's really useful in an actual playthrough or just "nice to have".

1 hour ago, AeonsLegend said:

I never thought of using this wand as an offensive weapon particularly in a ranged damage build. I mean it's  great weapon, as is Tekehu's wand. But since it's a wand/scepter I never thought about using it in this way. Cool idea actually. :)

Waterhaper's Focus is one of my top ranged weapon choices. Especially on Scouts. Ondra's Wrath (enchantment) profits from Sneak Attack, Deathblows and weapon quality and so on. The Blast of rods because WF has a jump (eventually combined with Driving Flight it has 2) and procs Ondra's Wrath very quickly. Ondra's Wrath was nerfed so it doesn't proc more of itself, but it is still very good. Also triggers Deep Wouds...

Current's Rush (enchantment "High Tide") is also very powerful, but since scepters have no AoE it can take longer to proc it. But: if it does on a group of enemies it's really deadly. Because it does a crush AoE attack which itself can trigger more High Tides which gain can trigger High Tides, potentially leading to a deadly cascade (didn't get nerfed like Ondra's Wrath - maybe because I got smart and didn't mention it in the forum when it was introduced. ;)). Very, very potent IF enemies stand very close to each other (so you want to use luring with Sparkcrackers or Dazzling Lights or whatever spell you can cast from stealth that makes some noise and then maybe Pull of Eora or Binding Roots etc.). Also triggers Deep Wounds.

This is from one shot that triggered High Tide in a group of CRE_Dummies (done with a lvl-20 scout) : 
currents_rush.png?dl=1

Watershaper's Focus can do similar things. Note that Ondra's Wrath as well as High Tide can both trigger Avenging Storm (which I didn't use in the screenshot)!

That's why I suggested the Whale of a Wand to you.

The rest of the post was an answer to @AeonsLegend.

Another stat stick for casters can be Griffin's Blade. It's only 10% additive spell dmg but better than nothing (and one handed so there's room for something else in the offhand - like Whale of a Wand).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

This is all very interesting to me but for another reason: if I have two copies of a particular unique that I can wear twice, the effects stack?

IE having two Rings of Prosperity's Fortune or two Pukestabbers would be fun, at least in my head.

Yes, they would. Generally speaking. There might be buffs with a cap (like Scordeo's Edge's Adaptive) that don't stack above that cap. Bit I didn't test. 

Also: if you have items with limited charges you can "recharge" them when you stack them in the stash. For example two Rings of Reset can be used to have one in the stash and the other one worn. If the worn one is empty you stack it with the full one, divide them again and both are full. Also works with necklace of fireballs, missile gloves, figurines and so on. 

Edited by Boeroer

On 4/22/2020 at 2:24 AM, Boeroer said:

Yes, they would. Generally speaking. There might be buffs with a cap (like Scordeo's Edge's Adaptive) that don't stack above that cap. Bit I didn't test. 

Also: if you have items with limited charges you can "recharge" them when you stack them in the stash. For example two Rings of Reset can be used to have one in the stash and the other one worn. If the worn one is empty you stack it with the full one, divide them again and both are full. Also works with necklace of fireballs, missile gloves, figurines and so on. 

Thanks @Boeroer, just a quick question for a... friend. If I outfitted a character with console commands and imported that character to a different save, would that also taint it? (achievements off)

Just curious for this... friend.

• Hmmm 1

Yeah, now I'm rushing Engoliero for the 3rd time already....

Although the 2nd time I barely used it (wasn't that great at generating Focus fast on combat start... and for an Ascendant initial tempo is critical).

Will see how useful it is for a Spellblade nuker.

Edited by Haplok

Not without some serious sheningans, no.

But, as I already wrote, I'm not currently looking for a weapon to smack people with.  Instead I'm looking for something to hold that will do cool stuff as my character casts his deadly spells.

Edited by Haplok