I was looking into some sort build that revolves around bows as I have used that weapon group really minimally. These two warbows caught my eye as they have an enchantment that would allow them recover immediately on 50% of the crits. So I'm asking how would you go around building around those?

Devoted/sharpshooter - devoted and sharpshooter passive pen should stack with weapon modal. Recovery penalty shouldn't be so bad if you skipping it with crits and as soon, as you got driving flight, you have two chances with every shoot. Subclasses and discipline strikes give solid hit-to-crit, and bonus crit damage. Conqueror stance, marked pray and ranger passive abilities makes accuracy high enough to get crits frequently.

I have also some ideas you can try

Takedown combo with power strike for massive damage, but it's mele only, so take monastic unarmed training and switch to fists

Boost accuracy with scordeos edge and clear out - without proficency it wouldn't be effective for damage, but great accuracy boost

If you build up hunters fang stacks with mele weapons (sun and moon and shattered vengance or rapier in offhand, or WotEP) it maybe gives bonus to ranged weapon too, but i haven't tested it 

• Like 1

With high accuracy and hit to crit conversion.

That might involve a Ranger since that's the class with the most ACC bonuses. 

Example: Ranger/Monk (stacking the Ranger's ACC passives with Monk's Enduring Dance). Stunning Surge lowers deflection even more. 

Ranger/Fighter with Warrior Stance and Disciplined Strikes.

Ranger/Paladin with Flames of Devotion and Ring of Focused Flame (+20 ACC) as well as Accurate Wounding Shot (+20 ACC). 

Ranger/Berserker with Berserker's Frenzy, Barbaric Smash, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst. The recovery skip on kill combines well with the 50/50 recovery skip on crit. 

Ranger/Cipher with debuffs and Borrowed Instincts.

Ranger/Wizard with Citzal's Martial Power and debuffs (Miasma and such).

Ranger/Troubadour with Sure-Handed Ila, Mith Fyr and Ben Fidel's Neck/Killers Froze Stiff. 

Devoted/Berserker also works though. Not that much accuracy but the crit conversions from Disciplined Barrage and Berserker Frenzy stack up (though not additively but still). And Blood Thirst etc.

Aided by a Priest with Devotions and Blessing. 

Stuff like that. 

Note that Driving Flight (Ranger) raises the chance to trigger the effect significantly. Hit rolls done by Driving Flight do count. This also works really well with Stunning Surge (refund on crit).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I made some tests and this is actually really great 🤨

Takedown with power strike was a mistake, but scordeo and hunters fang works (with ranged weapons, if you build stacks earlier in melee) much better than i assumed, giving +50 accuracy, which in total makes more than 220.

In this case monk would be better than devoted, because there is no need for that much hit-to-crit and weapon modal can be replaced with tunderous blows, so using frostseeker vs. larger groups isn't so painfully slow. Dichotomus soul helps to keep foes away, lightning strikes and turning wheel increase damage and stunning surge have almost guaranted crit with driving flight. Also skipping recovery with veilpiercer procs much often than 50%, sometimes chaining 5 (my record is 22 after few minutes of fun with dummies, tigers and bounties😲) or more hits without recovery.

Stunning surge and tranquilizer with watershaper focus is even better than frostseeker, but this recovery...

• Like 2

Thank you for the responses!

From what I gathered from your posts either Sharpshooter/Devoted or Sharpshooter/Helwalker would be a good idea for me. The monk one especially with the Deadfire Community Patch as that seems to include making Turning Wheel work for ranged. I've played both monk and fighter before but which one of those you feel would work better in this instance?

Sharpshooter/monk, but helwalker can't get enough wounds with only enduring dance. If you stay back and taking no damage you have to use mortification of the soul. I sugest nalpzaca or shattered pillar.

Yes, in unmoded game turning wheel doesn't work with ranged, so shattered pillar would have fastest wound generating and limit of 5 is harmless for him. You can skip wheel compeletly. With community patch, turning wheel gives better lash, the more wounds you have and shattered pillar limit should be taken off, but it suppose to doesn't work at the moment. In this case nalpzaca is better.

There is one more trick, "shroud of the phantasm" cloack summons 4 copies of character for 10 sec. They are extremly squishy, but they have all your equipment and spirit animal, that is exactly the same as yours, with te same hp and defences. The duration is extendable by int even to 20 or even more seconds. 5 long bows with no recovery and 5 animal tanks on the field ends most of encounters almost immediately.

I think this is one of the rare cases where I would consider a Shattered Pillar as well. 

But: what does the ranged Shattered Pillar use the better wound generation for? Everything besides Thunderous Blows doesn't work ranged (Force of Anguish, Torment's Reach and so on). So you wouldn't spend a lot of wounds anyway. You would concentrate on Mortification with Stunning Surge. 

So... my point might be: what's the faster wound buildup good for (in an unmodded game)? On the other hand the Helwalker might build up wounds less quick, but at least he would gain +1 MIG per wound. And it's rare that you won't get damaged at all in a fight. There are always ranged enemies or some sort of AoE or rushers after the early game. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I forgot shattered pillar can produce wounds only by melee attacks. But he would use them to keep active dichotomus soul all the time. When enemy breaks first line or somehow reach your position, just resummon twins to protect you. 

I don't like to rely too much on wounds from damage when not being at front line, but you always can make teammates attack you few times or use scepter with modal, to generate wounds quickly and quite safely, or pick mortification od the soul. But in this case, you need source of healing, like paladin, druid or potions. It also lowers dps, which is undesirable with pure dps build. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Powerotti said:

With community patch, turning wheel gives better lash, the more wounds you have and shattered pillar limit should be taken off, but it suppose to doesn't work at the moment. In this case nalpzaca is better.

Btw, if using community patch, shattered pillar wound limit of 10 works as long as you don’t take lesser wounds. Hopefully that will get fixed with an update but haven’t missed it myself. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 12:37 AM, Kaylon said:

Personally I would go with ranger/cipher. Besides Borrowed Instinct (20acc) you can lower enemies deflection even further (Phantom Foes -10def, Psychovampiric Shield -10def)

Second. My first run was with an Ascendant/Ghost Heart designed around those weapons. Driving Flight gives you two chances to crit, which is handy.

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2019 at 4:51 AM, Boeroer said:

With high accuracy and hit to crit conversion.

That might involve a Ranger since that's the class with the most ACC bonuses. 

Example: Ranger/Monk (stacking the Ranger's ACC passives with Monk's Enduring Dance). Stunning Surge lowers deflection even more. 

Ranger/Fighter with Warrior Stance and Disciplined Strikes.

Ranger/Paladin with Flames of Devotion and Ring of Focused Flame (+20 ACC) as well as Accurate Wounding Shot (+20 ACC). 

Ranger/Berserker with Berserker's Frenzy, Barbaric Smash, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst. The recovery skip on kill combines well with the 50/50 recovery skip on crit. 

Ranger/Cipher with debuffs and Borrowed Instincts.

Ranger/Wizard with Citzal's Martial Power and debuffs (Miasma and such).

Ranger/Troubadour with Sure-Handed Ila, Mith Fyr and Ben Fidel's Neck/Killers Froze Stiff. 

Devoted/Berserker also works though. Not that much accuracy but the crit conversions from Disciplined Barrage and Berserker Frenzy stack up (though not additively but still). And Blood Thirst etc.

Aided by a Priest with Devotions and Blessing. 

Stuff like that. 

Note that Driving Flight (Ranger) raises the chance to trigger the effect significantly. Hit rolls done by Driving Flight do count. This also works really well with Stunning Surge (refund on crit).

Which build among these does most sustained DPS?

Also, what does recovering immediately do for turn-based? It doesn't grant another attack that turn, does it?

Edit: Never mind. I found the answer. You go first the next turn. Not as good obviously, but still worth getting it - especially if you have are a slow character.

Edited by Lampros