Amentep

Music: Listening and Sharing

Millennial here absolutely digging on much of these boomer female artists who were in their prime. Take Cyndi Lauper for instance 

Look at the way she rolls out her lyrics and manages perfect expressions at the same time.

What a woman!   Chauvinism takes a back seat here.

...You ever read a person's post and instantly get the feeling "this is not a genuine poster - real people (i.e. people who are not trying to play a character) don't talk this way"?

@algroth ...I know absolutely nothing about this band, haha - was just trying to link a working video. I'm so very particular about vocalists that I can't listen to most music, which makes my opinion for music pretty negligible for most people, :p.

How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?

How to Totally Remove Ignored Users from Your Obsidian Forums.

Rush's last prog epic, I think (if you can call 9 minutes an "epic"), off Permanent Waves, the album that was the transition from prog to mainstream hard rock.

Moving Pictures had a little bit of prog on it and they snuck some here and there in later albums, but this was pretty much it for length multi-part prog pieces. The drum fills and breakdowns are phenomenal on this track, even by Neil Peart standards.

Edit: Actually, Moving Pictures had The Camera Eye on it, so disregard what I wrote about this being the last prog epic.

Edited by Keyrock

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One of Zappa's most infamous pieces. The drum part, in particular, is ludicrously complicated. I would not be surprised if Zappa wrote this piece specifically to troll Terry Bozzio.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

Some songs I've heard over the last couple weeks:

W O L F C L U B are consistently pretty amazing.

Edit: Typo, because it wouldn't be a post of mine if I didn't make exactly one mistake.

Edited by Oner
  • Like 1

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever."

What is glass but tortured sand?
Never forget! '12.01.13.

we always think ella when we hear summertime.

one more, just 'cause it is a fave.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rammstein live...at least one thing both Russians and Germans seems to agreed on appreciating

Someone mentioned Cyndi Lauper. What can I say, the first half of the 80's holds a lot of nostalgic value for me.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 11/9/2019 at 4:01 AM, Gromnir said:

we always think ella when we hear summertime.

I think of Oscar Peterson.

(Also, my high school marching band, which used a version of it in its field show in my freshman year.) 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ok, so brittany howard has an amazing voice and sound, but that corner with the bassist and the drummer is absolute funktastic.  had no idea 'til we saw this tiny desk concert that nate smith were her drummer.

has been less than a year since we applauded a jazz musician on these boards, and no doubt doing so will bring down fire and thunder 'pon us from the musical gods, but we had to give proper recognition to mr. smith, even if he is only sorta/kinda jazz. regardless, fact brittany howard has such a superlative worthy drummer means we will listen to her music with some anticipation for near future.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

to wash away the jazz we offer a couple from rhiannon giddens.

HA! Good Fun!

The closed captions are what takes this to the next level. Fun fact for non-French speakers, a certain four-letter word is <<baise>>, meaning the band's name is "McF***".

Edited by Agiel

"Turned wrong way round, the relentless unforeseen was what we schoolchildren studied as 'History,' harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable. The terror of the unforeseen is what the science of history hides, turning a disaster into an epic.”

-Philip Roth, The Plot Against America

"Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them."

-James Fallows