Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

Hmm. Is Fallon a BTS fan? I don't like the first minute of the song but the rest is ok in that typical "I'm going to bop energetically around the middle of my room for a while" way, as much kpop is.  I like their "Dynamite" single better tho (note: I barely know a handful of their songs).

More importantly, in my eyes, at least this time they aren't wearing outfits made from 1960's/'70's couches and curtains.

BTS-curtainwear.jpg

...yup, I think Fallon wants to be a member of BTS.  ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From a strange time when the world seemed to come apart at the seams and enemies were no longer the eternal evil and your "friends" weren't necessarily particularly friendly when not needing you anymore... but hey, the total nuclear annihilation with less than 30 minutes notice part was postponed a bit.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 10/4/2020 at 2:16 PM, Gorth said:

From a strange time when the world seemed to come apart at the seams and enemies were no longer the eternal evil and your "friends" weren't necessarily particularly friendly when not needing you anymore... but hey, the total nuclear annihilation with less than 30 minutes notice part was postponed a bit.

Listening to this now, this is such a strange song. The intro is excellent and contains one of Hammett's best solos, but once we get into the first verse, it's all downhill from there. It has to be said, though, that this was the first version of The Metallica Ballad, and the next two iterations (i.e. Welcome Home and One) were both superb.

By the way, wasn't this the gig where you saw a helicopter flying rather precariously close over the heads of the crowd?

Edited by xzar_monty

46 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

By the way, wasn't this the gig where you saw a helicopter flying rather precariously close over the heads of the crowd?

Yes. Monsters of Rock 1991 in Moscow. Estimated 1.6 million people at the concert.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Remember this?

Roomie made a new mash-up of more songs with those chords. It's not comedic tho, just melodic. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

If memory serves me correctly, Let It Be is the only #1 hit by the Beatles that relies on those chords to any substantial degree. That's good.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the "four chord progression" being so prevalent. There's probably a reason for it, like heightened emotional response hence more memorable or something.  Depends what goes around those chords too.  But it is funny when you mash 'em up like that - hence the "all the songs sound the same these days!"  (said by people for decades and decades and...).  :lol:

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the "four chord progression" being so prevalent. There's probably a reason for it, like heightened emotional response hence more memorable or something.  Depends what goes around those chords too.  But it is funny when you mash 'em up like that - hence the "all the songs sound the same these days!"  (said by people for decades and decades and...).  :lol:

In a sense there isn't, that's true. There's almost certainly a logical reason for it, too, as you say. It's the same with intervals: essentially everybody prefers thirds and fifths over diminished seconds and augmented fourths, that's just how our brains are wired, i.e. they prefer consonance over dissonance. (The mathematical ratios for consonance are much simpler than those for dissonance, hence they are "easier" and "more pleasing" to the ear.)

But it's also true that the repetition can get boring, and the prevalence of that chord sequence is itself a reason for it becoming more and more prevalent -- there's a lot of copying going on, too, for equally obvious reasons. When I worked in music, I used to think that approximately once per year somebody was able to come up with something that sounded completely original, even if it used that most cliched of chord sequences.(*)

And yes, the "these days" argument is nearly always just rubbish. Here's an interesting historical tidbit: one of the earliest extant writings known is a lament by an elderly priest in which he complains that the young ones no longer venerate the gods like people used to in the olden days. So this one is as old as humanity, and it's not going to go away.

(*) Originality is a matter of context, too, to a surprising extent. The British hard rock band Def Leppard had a hit back in the day, Animal, and its chorus melody ("And I want, and I need, and I lust, animal") sounds really effective. And it can take a while before you realize that actually there is no melody: the whole thing is just one bloody note. It's the chords around that one note that make it sound like a good melody.

Edited by xzar_monty

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Some old school Rammstein (from a 1997 concert I *think*)

Is this music or humor? Both?  I'll put it here.
I've been keeping tabs on YT "Roomie" for years, I love his impression vids/weird humor mostly. These days he has pretend feuds with others on YT. Anyway, ran across this guy "challenging" him this time.  He's hilarious, loved it. When he imitates Roomie at one point I lost it.  Plus I think he beats Roomie at the impressions this time.  :lol:  Edit: Also, that 'stache is awesome.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

(I wouldn't double-post if y'all posted more ;) )

Ok I officially love this guy.  His normal stuff is singing songs in a style of another artist/musical concept.

This BB King style one is fantastic.  Talks his process this time, song starts around 7:09

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

(I wouldn't double-post if y'all posted more ;) )

So through roomie...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

So through roomie...

:sorcerer:

First time I knew of him was that Winning song he did re: Charlie Sheen (don't think he has it public anymore but I have a copy somewhere, he was so young!), which led me to his channel and his early videos.  His channel has changed a lot and I don't watch everything but he's kept me entertained off and on for a long while. 

7 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

What the Hell happened to us?

You woke up from the dream.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nostalgia time... from my early teen years. A pair of Queen classics. White Queen and March of the Black Queen

• Like 1