Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

One day, Queen met a Dalek...

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know I usually put my Rammstein posts in the metal thread.... But I don't think this is really "metal" 🤔

As is often the case with Rammstein, their lyrics have multiple meanings and interpretations.

Lyrics translated

We stick together
We endure one another
We hold onto one another
No one holds us back

We stay faithful to you
We firmly hold onto that
And obey the rules
If you leave rules to us*

And the shark, that has tears
And they run from the face
But the shark lives in water
So no one can see the tears

We keep our speed
We keep our word
If one can’t keep up
Then we immediately stop

We keep our eyes open
We hold each other by the arm
Six hearts that burn
The fire keeps you warm

In the deep it is lonely
And so many a tear is shed
And it so happens that the water
In the oceans is salty

You can think of us
Whatever you want
We get compensation
We never keep still

In the deep it is lonely
And so many a tear is shed
And it so happens that the water
In the oceans is salty

Translation © Affenknecht.com

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Because I like the sound of Spanish... not that I understand a word without translated lyrics ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Because I like the sound of Spanish... not that I understand a word without translated lyrics ;)

No te preocupes, es el sentimiento que cuenta.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

2 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

No te preocupes, es el sentimiento que cuenta.

Google translate agrees :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, Gorth said:

spanish sound, but not exact how you meant.

am knowing it ain't the first roy clark malaguena posted on these boards, but has been awhile. clark deserves to be in GOAT discussion but rare is included.

margarita cansino is likely our favorite hispanic entertainer all-time.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How the heck does he do that guitar playing without his fingers bleeding... 🤔

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A bit more Rammstein. Sort of rock, sort of metal, all industrial. Touchy subject too (pun unintended) about the rampant sexual abuse of children in the church. Song is close to 20 years old and they (the church) still have to get their **** together and do some internal reckoning.

Lyrics translated:

He is pious and very sensitive
A picture of the Lord on his wall
He wipes the stains from the bible
He likes to distribute the sacramen
t
He loves the choir boys
They keep their souls clean
But the tenor worries him
That is why he must be closest to him
Quiet and silent on his bedside table

A picture of the lord
He turns it over slowly
When the tower clock strikes twice

Hallelujah

He folds his hands in prayer

Hallelujah

He lived without a woman

Hallelujah

So he has to love his next one (literal translation, I think the bible says love thy neighbour)

Hallelujah

The young man can stay with him
Sin nests over my legs
He is happy to help drive them out
With music and candlelight

Hallelujah

He folds his hands in prayer

Hallelujah

He lived without a woman

Hallelujah

So he has to love his next one

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

He takes the boy into prayer

Hallelujah

He is the real Christian

Hallelujah

And knows what charity is

Hallelujah

Turn around slowly

turn around

• Like 1

“The challenge was to compose a traditional fanfare, direct and powerful, yet with a contemporary sound. . . . The music was not terribly difficult to compose, but working slowly as was my custom, I did not have the fanfare ready to send to Goossens until November. The piece has been Fanfare for the Common Man for so long that it is surprising to see on my sketches that other titles were considered: Fanfare for a Solemn Ceremony, for the Day of Victory, for Our Heroes, for the Rebirth of Lidice, for the Spirit of Democracy, for the Paratroops, for Four Freedoms.

After I decided on Fanfare for the Common Man and sent the score to Goossens, I think he was rather puzzled by the title. He wrote, ‘Its title is as original as its music, and I think it is so telling that it deserves a special occasion for its performance. If it is agreeable to you, we will premiere it 14 March [sic] 1943 at income tax time. . . .’ [The income tax deadline was changed to April after the War.] I was all for honoring the common man at income tax time. “Since that occasion, Fanfare has been played by many and varied ensembles, ranging from the U.S. Air Force Band to the popular Emerson, Lake, and Palmer group. . .  I confess that I prefer Fanfare in the original version, and I later used it in the final movement of my Third Symphony.”-- aaron copland

seeing how today is tax day...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

,,,fanfare to the common tax payer ;)

for those perhaps confused by the st. vincent de paul reference, st. vincent de paul is a catholic lay charity. were started by a group o' french law students in the early 1800s-- provided food and firewood to the poor o' paris during a particular brutal winter. is not uncommon for stvdp to have thrift store locations in cities as part o' their mission. 'course there is also more than a few catholic churches dedicated to st. vincent de paul, so is possible mr. joel is suggesting donation to the church as 'posed to the charity. 

regardless, paunchy, motorcycle helmet billy joel playing a piano meant for the trash is kinda fun, even if person with the camera appears to be suffering from a seizure.

HA! Good Fun!

C'mon dude, 2hour playlist? Be a little more focused ;)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not quite as ragey as...well trying to have a raging choir is going to difficult, I'd imagine.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hoc musica placet Caecilium.  (Wrong, but it's been 20 years)

Ah wait, should be hoc musica Caecilium placet. I think.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Hoc musica placet Caecilium.  (Wrong, but it's been 20 years)

If we ever get a time machine we should play it in ancient Rome and see if it would be a hit.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not Rammstein, but front man Till Lindemann's solo project: Praise Abort!

(it's not really about condoning aborts but about condemnation of parents that should never have had kids in the first place)

Controversial subjects and profanity ahead...

• Like 2