Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

It's Herbie's 80th B-Day!  That merits a few tracks. 

Here's Dolphin Dance.  IMO, the best of the tunes he wrote that became part of the standard jazz repertoire.

And Rain Dance!  My favorite early-electronic Herbie.  Head Hunters, which came out right after Sextant, was of course the huge hit of this era, but my tastes run more towards the weird early jazz-electronica than to the funky popular stuff.  

Lastly, Herbie himself dancing.  Sort of.  This was an incredibly influential live performance-- it's from the broadcast of the '84 Grammys and was an introduction of both breakdancing and record-scratching to the nationwide TV audience.  "Rockit" was already a hit, but millions of people who heard it had no idea how they got the record-scratch sound until they saw this broadcast.  The Grammys are a famously conservative organization, and it might be the fact that the ostensible "front man" here was 43 and already an acknowledged master helped them sneak some then-underground stuff into living rooms throughout America.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 4

^ One of the greatest ever

In a completely unrelated entry here's possibly the greatest metal band ever:

I have said this before and I will say this again, I think Iron Maiden is one of the all time great bands. The same way we still remember and listen to Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc. now, I think people will still remember and listen to Iron Maiden 100, 200, 500 years from now.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This is at the same time the proto-typical hair metal song and not a hair metal song:

Still of the Nigh rocks SO ****ING HARD that it establishes the unreachable ideal that all following hair metal songs , including Whitesnake songs, would aspire to, but could never reach. Not only does this song feature peak Tawny Kitaen, but it also shreds stoopid hard, separating it from the hair metal songs to follow, which would throw in faux guitar solos.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

the drummer in the vid is james gadson, who is one o' the most heralded and prolific session drummers. 

gadson were drummer on at least a couple o' withers' albums. 

am bringing up 'cause o' realization we complete overlooked gadson's appearance in one o' those playing for change, song around the world videos. is #2 on our personal list from the site, so am not certain why we overlooked save that we listen more than we view. 

only possible for why we overlooked gadson (who must be in his mid or late 70s?) is 'cause we were so focused on rajhesh going epic at 3:05. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps fyi, michael mcdonald, who surely is near 70 himself, recent did a npr tiny desk concert: home edition.  not the best sound quality, but is amazing how fantastic is his voice in 2020. worth a look/listen.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm not religious, but I've always had a thing for "gospel choirs". Hard not to feel in a better mood afterwards.

(quotation marks because I'm not sure it's the right terminology)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I'm not religious, but I've always had a thing for "gospel choirs". Hard not to feel in a better mood afterwards.

I do like me some Gregorian and ERA occasionally, and I'm very much an atheist.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

can you see the light?

gospel choirs do have a unique capacity to take sombre and mournful songs and make 'em hopeful and even joyous. swing low, sweet chariot (written by a choctaw man btw,) is positively ebullient when sung by etta james and backing choir.

amazing grace might be a rare exception as it is one o' the gospel hymns which rare get uplift. yeah, you may find exceptions, but is an inherent reserved quality to amazing grace which affects most performers.

@Azdeus

is likely apocryphal, but supposed, mozart managed to "steal" the secret o' allegri's miserere mei. written music were a close guarded secret o' the vatican, or so the story goes, until mozart heard once and then put pen to paper. the music were deemed a powerful tool o' conversion and faith by the church. 

am also a big fan o' mozart's requiem, though a few o' the portions we like bestest might not actually have been written by mozart. go figure.

and our favorite movie theme o' all-time is having choral and is evoking mass even though such is secular.

am not certain o' our faith, but if God does exist, he speak to us more clear through music.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

can you see the light?

gospel choirs do have a unique capacity to take sombre and mournful songs and make 'em hopeful and even joyous. swing low, sweet chariot (written by a choctaw man btw,) is positively ebullient when sung by etta james and backing choir.

amazing grace might be a rare exception as it is one o' the gospel hymns which rare get uplift. yeah, you may find exceptions, but is an inherent reserved quality to amazing grace which affects most performers.

@Azdeus

is likely apocryphal, but supposed, mozart managed to "steal" the secret o' allegri's miserere mei. written music were a close guarded secret o' the vatican, or so the story goes, until mozart heard once and then put pen to paper. the music were deemed a powerful tool o' conversion and faith by the church. 

am also a big fan o' mozart's requiem, though a few o' the portions we like bestest might not actually have been written by mozart. go figure.

and our favorite movie theme o' all-time is having choral and is evoking mass even though such is secular.

am not certain o' our faith, but if God does exist, he speak to us more clear through music.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm pretty certain that there isn't anything supernatural at all, but I do come very near something that I can liken to a religious experience when I hear a masterfully composed music and song. I've never heard that about "Misere mei", but I can definetly see... uh, hear? Music as an important part of religion, a well performed song with the added acoustics of a church is powerful stuff.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

nothing supernatural. unlike visual or language arts, music translates to a much better degree regardless o' cultural hardwiring. perhaps more with music than poetry or sculpture or whatnot, the artist emotions is communicated with heightened verisimilitude. whether or not listener is religious is irrelevant 'cause the music conveys the artist's feelings at a fundamental level which ignores a whole lotta cognitive baggage.

now for something a bit different...

we don't watch fallon, but am a fan o' the roots. questlove playing scissors and flatware were worth the view... and 'course the connect 4 guy were hypnotic.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

Been on a Sun Ra roll these last couple of days, mostly checking out some albums of his I hadn't yet gotten around to. For the most part they were... Fine. Not the best of his I've heard by a mile, and mostly consisting of novelties, experiments, and some stuff that was perhaps tamer than I was hoping out of him. That said, however, Astro Black was the clear highlight, and it is pretty damn great:

And this tune is some great P-funk on his behalf:

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I've been on a Cardiacs binge. This band is definitely not for everyone, but I'm finding them quite infectious lately. I would say they're a mix of everything from avant-prog to experimental post-punk to zolo to neo-psychedelia, but more importantly, they write some absolutely banger tunes that are rich in imagination and musicality. 

Edited by joels344
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, Skazz said:

Anyone's a R.A. the Rugged Man fan? I'm not a big hip-hop guy overall, but he's just released an album and I find myself enjoying it immensely.

Yeah, I've been digging it. The track with Immortal Technique is great but makes me want The Middle Passage to come out, which is something I've been waiting on for years at this point.

Anyways I've been on a King Crimson kick lately, party because someone who played with them died recently and partly because my roommate has been watching an anime featuring a schizophrenic mob boss.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands