Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

mentioned elsewhere we were gonna check out the met's tannhäuser offering. occurred to us tannhäuser, in an extreme small portion, may be one o' the better known (to american audiences) wagner operas... albeit with liberties taken.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't necessarily love her music, but I do really like her voice. I'm in the process of learning to like her music as well.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If anyone likes Two steps from hell and Full tilt this guy is worth a listen

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Left Youtube running for a bit, somehow went from HOI 4 OST to this.

Catchy, at least.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Way ahead of his time 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

so we heard a commercial which included renegade by styx

we never owned a styx album, but one o' our first 8-tracks were k-tel's the rock album (1980). 

hearing renegade made us recall how much we enjoyed

fantastic blues guitar. 

gonna recreate the ktel album... even the john waite tune.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This one is better, lyrics are a bit dark.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

This one is better, lyrics are a bit dark.

Did you forget to switch accounts? You're not Oby anymore

• Haha 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

On 4/7/2020 at 8:26 PM, Skazz said:

Recorded 2 October 1999, uploaded 16 March 2020 on the official channel?

Nice.

I saw someone in the comments point out that the chorus is 20 seconds long! 😵

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This is extremely cool

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

This is extremely cool

vid

robbie robertson is, by most accounts, kinda a 

d3a8f666-3a7a-43f7-9043-d6bf66f162a4._SR

am nevertheless a fan o' the band and much o' robertson's solo work. have mentioned previous on this board how the weight is one o' the songs which is frequent our favorite, as the honor has changed multiple times over the years. much enjoyed the playing for change folks giving it their treatment.

spontaneous and unrehearsed. 

our fave song around the world from the playing for change folks is

for fans o' reggae, am gonna highly recommend checking out a few o' the song around the world offerings. 

oh, what the heck

is also more than a few bob marley songs and they is done well.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

<video of Bruce Springsteen singing The Weight>

I admit that I wasn't familiar with Levon Helm before this video, but...

Well, hot damn. Call me a sentimental and/or pretentious sucker, but that was magical. Genuinely touching, especially when you consider the spontaneity of the performance.

If you'll excuse a banal thought: this, to me, is a glimpse into what lies in the heart of music as a whole. This is that pure, expressive kernel of beauty and humanity that will outlive us all and move people for as long as someone can remember the song.

Thank you for introducing me to this one.