Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

I am fascinated by musical artists such as Primus or Björk, just to name another one. Folks who make music that is completely alien and counter to what makes music appealing to the mainstream (these days, at least) and yet briefly become mainstream popular on the sheer weight of their talent. I will freely admit that some of their songs don't appeal to me, they are just too far out there for my limited brain to appreciate, but, once in a while, they produce something that clicks and is so astoundingly amazing that no amount of ignorance on my part can override its brilliance. I have a great appreciation for these artists trying weird and experimental ideas, even if 99 out of 100 miss, because that 1 that hits is so worth it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, ShadySands said:

Hopefully will get usual suspects bent out of shape.  Quick check on T_D funnily has people going on about there obviously being a conspiracy here - I guess DNC Operators carried this out after stealth killing Paddock and planting his corpse. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Zevon's expressions are also entertaining.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really miss the 80's sometimes. Everything was better. The music, the cold war, the imminent end of the world, the weird hair cuts and the clothes...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Good song for a wedding.  That or "Hey , Joe"

On 1/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Raithe said:

Super mediocre movie relative to how much it's loved (or so I sadly thought), but it did have a great soundtrack that I turn on every now and then.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Super mediocre movie relative to how much it's loved (or so I sadly thought), but it did have a great soundtrack that I turn on every now and then.

I think it's brilliant myself, and it's grown in estimation over the years. I honestly find it a fantastic extension to Blade Runner, delving deeper into many of the more humanist and existentialist philosophies present in both. And from a pure aesthetic perspective, it's utterly insane. I love the use of time dilations and of "pauses" in Oshii's films - there's a particular transcendent quality in his films as very often the action or the diegetic time seems to come to a standstill in favour of a more abstract reflective plane. In Ghost in the Shell: Innocence and especially Angel's Egg it's taken to an absolute extreme, with entire chunks feeling like they occur in this contemplative, abstract second plane, but with Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor 2 for example, it really interesting how it's often woven into the action or into a scene to create a far more evocative effect (think the way the garbagemen chase scene in GitS opens up into a more dilated and oneiric moment when the puppet's left on his own, and then fighting an invisible enemy).

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden