Music: Listening and Sharing

Amentep

a3513574083_10.jpg
Damien Dubrovnik - Great Many Arrows

Whilst not as rich, this here feels like the sort of industrial-chamber hybrid that's cut from the same cloth as the likes of Lingua Ignota or some latter-day Coil and offshoots. It's very nice, I thoroughly dug it but especially enjoy it as it tends more towards the darkwave/"gothic chamber music" feel in its second half. Worth a listen for anyone with an inclination to this sort of music for certain.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

837f199dd9c2f75f0b1afcd6137c36a0.1000x10
Rosalía - El mal querer

Sounds a bit like a flamenco-infused FKA Twigs, and overall feels to me like a much more interesting approach than Rosalía's earlier album Los ángeles, which instead felt anemic and tasteful to a fault. Unfortunately, bar a few tracks early on that were very good indeed, a large bulk of the album also feels like a collection of sketches and unfinished ideas that meander for a short while until they end. It feels a bit slight outside a few songs worth cherry-picking from the lot, and all this for an album that is barely 30 minutes in length.

20191024-hasegawahakushi_full.jpg
Hakushi Hasegawa - Air ni ni

Quite wonderful, a lush and harmonious blend of art/prog pop with wonky, breakcore and nu-jazz elements, all to create something that is as reminiscent to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack as it is Iglooghost's Neo Wax Bloom. One of the albums of the year.

TIMESIG009_RDevine-650x650.jpg
Richard Devine - Sort/Lave

Would I want some more Ɖ̵̨̨̧̢̡̡̛̜̩̠̞̟̞͕̬̹͔̪͚̖̪̬̹͍̝͕̱̪̞̮̹͓̖̲̼̗̠̠̤͖̰͔͉͚͍͙͇͒͗͆̋̌̄̀͆̄͐͆͌̎̌̄̈́͆͑̒͊̿͆͌͛͐̿̏̀̔̔̽̾̾̎̃̒́̎͐̃̚͘̚͜͜͠͝͝ɖ̸̡̨̡̨̨̛̺̙̫̹̠̹̟̘̪͎̫͎̫͚͓̞̙̥̲̟̙͖̪̫̥̗̠̬̹̘̭̱͉͎̬̦̳͔̩̪͙̣̇̀̍̇͆̾̎̏̐̈́̊̍̈́͊̄͑̒͒͑͋̎̀̇̇̐͊̐͂͑̋̀͋̄̈́̒̔̌̄͂̌́̎̅̍̂͘͜͠͝͝͠ͅŊ̸̧̧̨̡̛̙̼̖̣͚̬͎̜̙̫͉̻̙̯͈̗̗̭͔̩̜͕̯͕̪͇̩̮̠̗̲̜̦͚̼͎̻̟̰̟̯͈͍̗̱̣̼̻̤͇̙͙͈͇̈́̄͛͐̅̇͋̒̌̑͐̈́̉͂̅̄̊̀͂͋͐̽͐͑̈́̋͊͛̎̾͋̎̐̔̈͘̕͜͝͝͝ŋ̷̨̛̝̮̙̗̖͖̖̖̠̲̬͕̖̪͖͈͍̥͔̰͎̳͍̤̞̰̦̰̰̜̞͇̦̱̣̞̤̠͓̫͉͖́͛̿͛̋͒͆̈́̄͛̽̋͐͋͌͋͐́͋͒̈́̒̈̾̏͊̑̓̓̏͂̆͑̋̆̃̔͗̏̋̿̐̽̐̆̐͐̏̅͛̒̑͂̕͘͘̕̚͝͠͝͠Y̶̧̡̢̢̬͎̝̜̼̯̪͚̻̠̺̯̗̝̺͈̝̝͔̲̮̜̪̮͔̙̠͖̘͙̝̜͇̙̗̠͍͓̯̣̭̰͓͍̑̉͋̓͋̐̒̀͐̈̉̈́̆̀͋̔̉̎̓̃̀̈́̈́̈́̂̓̀́͛̽̔͒̉́̑̀͋̃̈̎̈̃̽̐̈́̈̓͌̆̀̽̏̉̑̍̋͆͗͘͘͘̚͜͝͠͝ͅͅɣ̴̧̧̧̢̢̧̛̛̛̗͔̳̱̦͎̠̱͕͙̭̻͖̠̤̱̠̻̯̘͕͎̺̦̖͈̖̠̤̙͈̞͕̮̩̳̳̣͈͉͚̬̦̤̤̱̟̻̼̙̞͇̗̩̫͛̈̈͊́̂͒̍͐͗̄̃̔͑̍̐͆́̍̂̄̓̌̈́̈̍̈́̉̅̂͗̔̋͊͛̏͆̆̅͊̆̓̅̿̔̀̑̉̅̽̋̈́͐̚͘̕͜͠͝͝͝Ɔ̴̧̧̡̡̜̣̻͎̫̗̹̠̱̭̤͕̼̯̺̩̝͉͔̦̹͉̯̻͍̮͚̯̖̦̥̱͕̘̣̘̬̞͖̠̭͖͇͓̀̈́͆̓̊̽̎̿̆̾̀̅͊͋̆̇̅̒̀̓͂̾͒͆̏̑͊͗̂̿͛̔̉́͂̍̈̔̇͌̇̾̀̉͆͌͂̀͘͜͜͝ͅͅɔ̶̡̨̢̢̢̧̨̡̣̟͙̠̜̺̩̝̹̳͚͍̺͔͍̱̯͔̞͖̝͍͎̲͈̭͕͖͓̫̥̱̲̞̰̹͚̣̲̯͕̦̅̓͋̐̊͂̾̒̌̈̈́̈́͒̀̅͆̇̇̎̅̅͒͑͊͒̓͂͌̏̓͆̀̓̌͑̍̎͗̓̍̉͌͘̚̚̚͜͜͜͝͝ͅƐ̴̨̨̡̧̨̨̛̛̛̲̠͕̙̘̝̝̼͍̖͖͉̩̱̪̫̭̮̟͚̳̞̫͎̗̩̪̹͔͖̦̭̬̱͇̲̘͈͖̭͖͇̩͚̯̯͗́͑̆̋̿͆́̂̈́̉͆̐͐͑͊͗̈́̽̊̉̎͊͑̓̒̒̎̽̀̋̍̆̇͗̉͘͘̕̚͜͜͠͠͝͝͠ͅͅɛ̴̢̢̢̨̢̮̞̜͕͚̜̠̞̼̪̣̘͍̮̱͉̻̩͙̝̥͚̪̘͇̟̭̣̹̗͈͈̫̗̭̣̪̦̜̺͎͔̬̬̝̮̤̟͖̫̳̩̝̽͋͐͒̄͌̏̓̊́̂̀͑̿̅̒̆̇͗͑̌̾͒̈͂͑̂̿̓̈́̄̋̀͊͗̇̈́́͗̊̇͛̓̑͒̇͘̚͘͜͜͝͠͠͝͠ͅƲ̷̨̢̨̛̹͎̰͍͚͖̰̺̪͕̯̦͚̝͉̣̦͕̦̭̳͙̹͕̟̘̞̘͙̲͖̪͙̟̦̗͉̞̫̤̥̰͔͙̳̟̹̹͖̤̹̟̤̊̋̊̉̈́̑̅̊̈̔͌́̽̈́̽͊̓̐́͋̊̈̄̊̿̃̋̔͒͐̉̈́̐̐̔͌̈́͒̅̎̿͘̚͘͜͜͝͝͠ʋ̸̨̢̛̛͓̼̩̺̘̬͔̗͈̻̞̪͕̺͙̮͖̥̯̱̭̹̱̳̥̠̫͔̦͓̜͙̗̩͖̫͖͖̫͔̼̖͕̞̱̫̊̽̈̃͌̆̅͆̒͊͛̉̆̒̆́̓͊̀̓̄̍͌̀̐͋̌̾̀̐̈́̄̏̉̄͘͘͘͜͝͝͝͝͠ͅ with that IDM? Why, yes I would.

0018110243_16.jpg
George Clanton - Slide

I'll just go ahead and copy this review from RYM because it summarizes the album better than I ever could:

A dream of the 90's that never really was

An instant classic upon release and what feels like an embodiment of 2010's hauntology. It both encapsulates and somehow goes way beyond your expectations. 'Livin' Loose' is the New Radicals and early 90's Ride filtered through 20+ years of alternative dance half-dreams, and it's a ****ing beast. 'Make It Forever' is a lost Tears For Fears song from 1993's Elemental sessions and the title track is every memory I have of Smashing Pumpkins, Enigma and playing N64 in the late 90's all melted together into some kind of a New Age chili dish.

Long story short, the album is goddamn masterpiece. Get it if you haven't already.

Edited by algroth

The hook for Christmas in Hollis was so dope that Dipset sampled it for this holiday jam:

I'm gonna get you grinches into the holiday spirit if it's the last thing I do! :-

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

a1569764455_10.jpg
Clau Aniz - Filha de mil mulheres

There's a pretty clear line that can be drawn between this an Weyes Blood's Titanic Rising. Both are lush, largely analog and wood-like in feel/texture, pop music rooted deeply in 70s trends and acts; but whereas Blood's albums tend to favour more the sounds of Harry Nilsson or Joni Mitchell, Clau Aniz, native of Brazil, seems to evoke a fair bit of the MPB of Milton Nascimento and the particular jazz-rock brand of Luis Alberto Spinetta's mid-70s ventures, especially with Invisible's El jardín de los presentes. All in all this is a warm, nostalgic, quite tasteful throwback to this era, all with a certain dream pop/slowcore-tinged wistfulness about it as well. Can be seen as a bit of a musical equivalent of going through one's parents' slow-degrading photo albums of the time - in other words its cover seems quite apt.

Bubu - Anabelas

For prog fans, here's a true one-album wonder. Up until 2018, forty years after the fact, this was the only album ever attributed to this ensemble which existed as an offshoot of the vanguardist Di Tella Institute which in the 60s and 70s gave birth to artists like Clorindo Testa (better known as an architect), Julio le Parc, Marta Minujín (close associate to Andy Warhol during the 80s), Luis Felipe Noé (father of Gaspar Noé), Rómulo Maccio amidst others, and whose musical wing was founded and led by modern classical composer Alberto Ginastera and in times of great censorship under military dictatorship housed courses and presentations by left-leaning modern composers like Iannis Xenakis, Luigi Nono and Aaron Copland. This particular piece is something of a fusion of Italian prog by way of Il Balleto di Bronzo or prime-era Banco with King Crimson and Stravinsky, played by an octet with heavy emphasis on the interplay between flute, violin and saxophone, spanning three rather intricate suites. An absolute classic of Argentine prog which nevertheless found a much greater following abroad than it did locally.

a1386432675_10.jpg
Khalab - Black Noise 2084

A very nice, hard-cutting, groovy slice of afro-infused UK bass. It all makes for a soundscape that is at once distinctly pluralist and combative and clashing, like a dystopian reimagining of Wakanda, in full realization of the conflict in its contrast to its starving, neglected environs. It slaps, that's all.

a1924727225_10.jpg
DjRUM - Portrait with Firewood

Blending lush post-minimalist passages and acoustic instrumentation with electronic beats, glitches and synth pads isn't anything new per se, we've seen as much in the past from Venetian Snares, Kashiwa Daisuke, Murcof, Susumu Yokota, and the list goes on. This album might not be bringing something new to the table, but what it does, it does so with plenty of finesse, fusing both elements in a manner that is as effective and resonant as any of the previous acts, and often lending itself so some rather transcendent passages. Quite lovely, all in all.

a1319080696_10.jpg
Debby Friday - Bitchpunk

The cover says it all really. It's hard, it's sassy, it's punky, it's stripped down, and it's political, not just in its lyrics but in the sheer soundscape it manages to evoke. Like Khalab's Black Noise 2048 (though also very much unlike it in sound), it creates a feeling of discordant pluralism that seems to create as much of a contrast and split as the plain black and white of the cover in the music itself. It's very much the sound of the social divide.

Not for the music but the dance covers:

....the guy in the santa hat is pretty good.  :-

This group/company has a large rotation of regular dancers, and a camera guy who's pretty good.  I'm rather enjoying watching a lot of their videos. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A Mongolian/Latvian mix. I often like unusual, new creations :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A Mongolian/Latvian mix. I often like unusual, new creations :)

vid

am not sure what happened, but for us the linked video channeled a bit o' charlie daniels.

regardless, somebody needs get that guy in orange a ricola. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I actually bought that double cd as a boxed set, complete with tentacle stocking to hang up (for gifts)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

...and a New Years song 😈

• Like 1