Politics: The Undiscovered Country

Amentep

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

You get 10 million downvotes and you get your brain scrambled

maybe show movies would help 'cause have every USA high school kid read 1984 isn't working.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

maybe show movies would help 'cause have every USA high school kid read 1984 isn't working.

HA! Good Fun!

Or Black Metal, of which Deathspell Omega's <<The Furnaces of Palingenesia>>, which is virtually a musical adaptation of 1984, to be the most important metal album of the decade:

They seemed to have also been on to something in regards to the current political zeitgeist with one of their previous EPs <<Mass Grave Aesthetics>>:

The dimension of ethereal totalitarianism discloses itself
And takes possession of the quintessential human soul
Like a nail hammered through most tender flesh
Aeons separate the one whose eyes have seen through the night of the spirit
The king, the Lord of hosts, draped in terrifying magnificence
From the gleaming clot of trembling vermin
If a faith and a belief aren’t nurtured by the moist of blood
They do not grow, nor do they live
It is at the magnitude of daily murders, massacres and mass graves
That we do measure the propagation of our faith
Hearken and recognize, that hideous carrion
Legs in the air, like a whore displayed, indifferent to the last
A belly slick with lethal sweat and swollen with foul gas...

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

46 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I've seen it argued that Snowden is in part responsible for speeding up the rise and spread of encryption and anonymity/privacy services.

I would agree with that. But I don't think for a minute that that would stop a state sponsored ability to crack it. For example, doesnt Apple already provide the most robust encryption protocols, which are cracked on every update by the Israelis?

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I would agree with that. But I don't think for a minute that that would stop a state sponsored ability to crack it. For example, doesnt Apple already provide the most robust encryption protocols, which are cracked on every update by the Israelis?

You're mixing stuff up. In theory, a 128-bit key is economically impossible to brute-force. A 256-bit key is physically impossible to brute-force. What the Israeli company cracking iPhones did was reset the failed attempt counter by manipulating the hardware, and then used a brute-force attack to defeat a weak password and access the unencrypted data inside. If the San Bernardino guy had used a secure password, he would have possibly defeated this approach as well, but who does that. I know I don't.

Really, government guys put their pants on one leg at a time. Which is why they they have been pressing tech firms to build backdoors into their products.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, IIRC they used/ the Israeli firm provided a BIOS resetter to allow more than 3 PIN attempts on the Florida (?) terrorist attacker's iPhone. The FBI then brute forced his PIN over a couple of days, which must have been a fun job for the most junior task force members. If Apple had complied with their demand or their encryption was broken the FBI could have reset the BIOS and given the phone a new PIN, getting instant access.

It's essentially an intrinsic weakness that was exploited since Apple or whoever has to have a way to reset locked devices and that provides the point of attack. Indeed, the usual point of attack for any 'encryption break'- assuming it's actual secure encryption and hasn't been gimped by the NSA/ GCHQ etc and reasonable precaution like hashing and salting have been taken- is not the encryption itself but the end point where it's decrypted; via gaining access to the user's device by other means. The same Israeli firm provides software to various states to give them access to people's phones via forced installs pre sale or out and out trojans, generally for circumventing something like WhatsApp's encryption. Allegedly at least one of their products has been reverse engineered and is now used in out and out malware. Well, if you don't count helping Saudi Arabia find excuses to execute and torture dissenters as being malware in the first place.

• Like 2

For me the more important concern  is that companies shouldn't  be finding ways to prevent the Federal government from accessing data when needed or when the courts allow it, companies like Apple need to work with the Federal government and not find ways to be obstructive :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

For me the more important concern  is that companies shouldn't  be finding ways to prevent the Federal government from accessing data when needed or when the courts allow it, companies like Apple need to work with the Federal government and not find ways to be obstructive :thumbsup:

Clueless.

No matter how hard you try, such things will just leak to the public and make it even easier to steal peoples phones, identity, money and whatever else they have on their phones. 

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Clueless.

No matter how hard you try, such things will just leak to the public and make it even easier to steal peoples phones, identity, money and whatever else they have on their phones. 

I just hope they appreciate my high score in WordzUp!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I just hope they appreciate my high score in WordzUp!

People would be so disappointed if they got hold of either of my phones, one is old enough that you can barely store information on it, and the other is my workphone and is completely worthless  when it comes to information. :)

Oh, and absolutely zero highscores they can nab and take credit for!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Someone once stole my identity.  They returned it eventually.

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Someone once stole my identity.  They returned it eventually.

*snort*

we stole Gromnir's identity in 2005... and you have no idea how exhausting it is posting like this just to keep up the charade.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 8/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, Azdeus said:

Clueless.

No I think you misunderstand me, I am talking about the necessary implementation of enhanced Cybersecuity to ensure countries like the USA are safe from the real threat of Cyber-terrorism, Cyber- espionage and Cyber-warfare. These threats are real and you need complicated ways to address these, like Prism, this doesnt apply to smaller forms of phone malware and other software threats that do get replicated and duplicated  in many examples of Cyber warfare. You cannot mimic or copy the complexity and ability of Prism and this is a good thing. So in summary we need all companies to work with government in most cases to ensure a better and more stable world, backdoor access to all devices  can be controlled by institutions like the NSA, they already have backdoor access to most other industries so why be obstructive over something like this  8)

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVC the US has spied on the rest of the world and influenced regional politics and toppled democratically elected governments to replace them with puppets for decades. I'm not sure if anyone is *really* surprised when other countries eventually try to return the favour. Heck, for two decades (at least), the US has been spying on European citizens and companies via the Echelon system (google bbc and echelon for a more in-depth art article on it).

Couldn't help but burst out laughing when I read the BBC news this morning. Good on you Ms Frederiksen, one woman who is very unimpressed by Trump, there is apparently no limit to how far he will go embarrass himself.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49423968

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein