Politics: The Undiscovered Country

Amentep

Other thoughts:  I laughed out loud when I saw GD's paragraphs statement.  I took it to heart.

I'm Russian bot... and quite likely Bruce as well.  Listen, I can say with utmost honesty that I post under no other name on this board, but let's say I am an alt.  So, where does that leave us?  Here are some rules I think people should follow:

1.  Change your name, but not your convictions.  In a world of ideas, my name doesn't really matter much.  This is an electronic forum.  My words matter inasmuch as they detail my thoughts.  My name shouldn't be an issue.

2.  Don't use the account to attack users, especially as some sort of vendetta.  If you get the chance to *try* to reinvent yourself, give everyone else to get the chance to be rediscovered by your newly adopted persona.

If you think I'm Bruce, you can hold it against me.  I don't know what he might have done.  I'm betting, if he is a troll, he's a sweet ol' troll who was just livin' the troll life.  I get the feeling I'd be fond of this Bruce.  However, rest assured, if he did not evince the same political opinions or convictions, I am not he.

Why address this at all?  Because I enjoy a little political discussion every now and then.  I want to hear what folks have to say.  ...And while I've been welcomed with a little more warmth before, I have a certain place in my heart for Obsidian that I've held since I used to go every now and then to this board hosted by a different game developer years ago.  I'm interested in what people have to say.  I would think, if I'm in an under-represented minority of thought regarding the president, people who want to understand the 'other side' might actually find my input useful.

Just so I don't turn into a real troll.  Just PM me and we can troll talk there.  In fact, I'll even tell you my real life name, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.  I've already proved my troll powers even to be discussing this.

• Like 1

The woodwork beckons.

7 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Hey Guard Dog, I don't recall seeing anything by you on the subject, so I'll ask here. How do you see the internal skitstorm that is affecting the NRA of late? They seem to be steadfastly digging their own graves.

Oh **** what happened?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

24 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Oh **** what happened?

Let's see, men of low character, millions of dollars, minimal oversight, nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Kind of makes you wonder about the whole Oliver North trying to ouster LaPierre rumor. It really is dismaying. I couldn't tell exactly what to believe when I read that story, but it's beginning to look like Oliver North was a hero in the whole thing. Or at least he was trying to do something that needed to be done.

The woodwork beckons.

Didn't the breakup between the NRA and Ackerman happen after Oliver North got ousted? Seems kind of silly for LaPierre to complain about billing practices where they both have been doing a whole other world of financial corruption. AFAIK, North wasn't making any effort to clean up finances other than ousting LaPierre.

Anyhow, in NRA related tangent I guess, the NRA sues Ackerman again and are claiming that Ackerman is claiming to still support the NRA and having NRA stuff and expousing NRA stuff on their website and the NRA wants them to stop. Not that I care to actually check.

18 hours ago, Captain Corcoran said:

Other thoughts:  I laughed out loud when I saw GD's paragraphs statement.  I took it to heart.

I'm Russian bot... and quite likely Bruce as well.  Listen, I can say with utmost honesty that I post under no other name on this board, but let's say I am an alt.  So, where does that leave us?  Here are some rules I think people should follow:

1.  Change your name, but not your convictions.  In a world of ideas, my name doesn't really matter much.  This is an electronic forum.  My words matter inasmuch as they detail my thoughts.  My name shouldn't be an issue.

2.  Don't use the account to attack users, especially as some sort of vendetta.  If you get the chance to *try* to reinvent yourself, give everyone else to get the chance to be rediscovered by your newly adopted persona.

If you think I'm Bruce, you can hold it against me.  I don't know what he might have done.  I'm betting, if he is a troll, he's a sweet ol' troll who was just livin' the troll life.  I get the feeling I'd be fond of this Bruce.  However, rest assured, if he did not evince the same political opinions or convictions, I am not he.

Why address this at all?  Because I enjoy a little political discussion every now and then.  I want to hear what folks have to say.  ...And while I've been welcomed with a little more warmth before, I have a certain place in my heart for Obsidian that I've held since I used to go every now and then to this board hosted by a different game developer years ago.  I'm interested in what people have to say.  I would think, if I'm in an under-represented minority of thought regarding the president, people who want to understand the 'other side' might actually find my input useful.

Just so I don't turn into a real troll.  Just PM me and we can troll talk there.  In fact, I'll even tell you my real life name, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.  I've already proved my troll powers even to be discussing this.

You definitely not me but its a huge compliment to think you and I are the same, you know the old adage " great minds think alike "  and all that ;)

Sometimes people have assumed I use different accounts to make the same point but as I have explained I dont need to have different accounts because my general viewpoint and sentiment is based on historical precedent and what I see works and leads to a better quality of life....in other words Western style Democracies work, are sustainable and offer the best quality of life overall  to there citizens compared to other governments like the autocratic failures of Russia

I have to be honest I haven't read your previous posts so I am not sure what you ideologically believe but one thing we both know is we not the same person 8)

• Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-ban/hong-kong-protests-turn-to-chaos-amid-tear-gas-and-petrol-bombs-idUSKCN1VL02V?il=0

The ongoing protests in HK fascinate me because of the impact to the overall Chinese policy of " One China "  and there flawed view of political hegemony in the region...very interesting development  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

If they don't like Hong Kong, why don't they just leave?

If it were feasible, they probably should.  It would have a detrimental impact on China, to be sure.  I've made too many walls of text and the dynamics of immigration are truly complex.  Even a long winded rant would do little more than confuse the issue, but I would suggest that the people who most yearn for greater freedom in Hong Kong are a great asset to China.

As for you, BruceVC, good to see this person to whom I've been compared.  The jig is up, though, brother.  We both know that we are, in fact, the same person, born from the same Russian bot.

• Haha 1

The woodwork beckons.

https://abc7ny.com/weather/hurricane-dorian-strengthens-to-category-5-as-it-heads-for-bahamas/5493798/

Guys is anyone concerned with the potential damage Hurricane Dorian is going to do to the Bahamas and quite possibly Florida, I am

Its just been upgraded to Cat 5 ⛈️

John Milton 

Yes, nothing ever changes.  Thank God for endowing us with the Mushroom Shaped Cloud.  I guess we endowed ourselves.  That makes it so much better.  Uncanny how much of the song rings true exactly today.  As an aside, my wife hadn't heard it all these years until she heard me posting this and exclaims, "That's terrible!"  bwahahaha

The woodwork beckons.

Comparing Rape per capita (or I think per 10,000?) US has 27 times the rate.  I'm betting the **** per person is probably remarkably close.  I agree that having more guns makes gun violence more likely.  On its face, that's true.  After all, if you own neither a car nor a garage, the chances of killing yourself by running your auto in your garage is astronomically low.  I don't mind gun control arguments.  I just hate that they're so dishonest.  People refer to "automatic weapons" when they mean semi-automatic.  The term "assault rifle" confuses the hell out of the issue.  The murder rates for 'long guns' compared to hand guns is conflated, confused, and confounded.  Statistics themselves are cherry picked, kind of like Raithe's and mine in these two posts.  I can have a good faith debate on gun ownership rights in the United States, but I get the feeling most people don't want that.

US VS Japan Rape Per Capita.jpg

The woodwork beckons.

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Would said law designed to prevent a no-deal Brexit (which is what they’re attempting to do) stop no-deal via running out the clock? Or maybe it’d automatically use whatever deal is in the works, I could see it working like that. It seems like it’d only deal with the UK side of things because it’d only affect U.K. law, not EU law, which is the article 50 thing.

So looking at the candidates, so far the only one I’m liking is Yang.  The only problem I have with his $1000 bucks to everyone just by itself would just make everything jump up in price to grab that money.  Other than that, I’m liking him.

Does anyone know anything bout him that would make him a terrible president or worse than the politicians?

48 minutes ago, redneckdevil said:

So looking at the candidates, so far the only one I’m liking is Yang.  The only problem I have with his $1000 bucks to everyone just by itself would just make everything jump up in price to grab that money.  Other than that, I’m liking him.

Does anyone know anything bout him that would make him a terrible president or worse than the politicians?

Other than ‘CEOs make terrible Presidents’ in general, inexperience would be the main thing. Of course though, inexperience was used against both Obama and Trump, though the level of inexperience is vastly different between the two.

As for worse than the politicians, it depends on who you ask and which politician you’re comparing to.

"The biggest divide in the party is not between left and center. It's between those who believe once Trump is gone, things will go back to normal, and those that believe that our democracy is under a threat that goes beyond Trump."

“There is a situation where the electability argument within the context of this primary becomes self-perpetuating. Everyone thinks Biden’s the most electable, therefore voters tell pollsters that he is more electable — and therefore more people think that, and it sort of all goes around the circle.”

My two favorite bits from here

Regarding Yang, I've not heard anything negative about him but it might just be that nobody considers him a big enough threat to bother looking in to. He was up at the top of my isidewith results last time I took it

Maybe I should retake the test or something now that people have put more stuff out there

Free games updated 3/4/21