It gives you +1 Power Level. It is def. worth it if there is not a really good alternative at PL 9.

For example with monks it can lift your fists to the next scaling level (fists scale ever 2 PLs). And that's without the effect that PL raises the base damage of all offensive abilites by 5% multiplicatively (very potent with lots of additive dmg bonuses in the mix), raises projectile count (Minor Missiles etc.), amount of jumps (Mind Blades, Eld Nary's Curse etc.), accuracy, duration and PEN. Not AoE size[edit] though. This is especially good with DoTs which then get a dmg bonus from the direct dmg boost AND the longer duration - both multiplicative.

Of course, if you have to decide between really awesome stuff like Whispers of the Wind/Devine Retribution/Barbaric Retaliation on one side and Prestige on the other I would go for the first one. But you can have 3 PL 9 abilites by lvl 20 and thus there's often room for Prestige.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ya I do have room for it, I’ve already got Divine Retribution and Light of Pure Zeal at 19 (Light of Pure Zeal single handedly annihilated the undead dragon).  So I’m deciding for my level 20 ability.  You said PL level doesn’t affect AOE Pen? Like Sacred Immolation?

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Sorry, I meant PL doesn't affect the AoE size. It does always influence PEN (if there is any to begin with). There are some exceptions like Arcane Archer's Imbue spells - but iirc no exceptions for Paladins' abilities.

No Divine Immolation for you? It's pretty good if your Paladin is not alone in the front line. If he is it's pretty useless though...

• Like 1

Ya it’s between Prestige and Divine Immolation.

My front line is really just my Paladin Support tank/secondary dps now that he has SI and Light of Pure Zeal he’s really catching up, Constantine as a Howler (not an efficient summoner but it works, Pallegina would of been better but I made her a Crusader, I hadn’t planned for Divine Ret at the time, i saw it later) he’s actually turned into a Duel Wield tank who does good damage and Ishiza, Xoti sometimes upfront  but she’s in the middle of the group buffing.  Back line is OP Maia Scout with red hand (has the double the damage of anyone) and Mindstalker Ydwin.  Those 2 won’t profit from Divine Immolation.

Have gun will travel.

Note on Divine Immolation. Like many upgraded abilities, it will be considered t's original power level for the purposes of calculating bonuses from PL, (which is good, more room for bonuses), but it will be considered it's new, higher ability level for the purposes of calculating ability level bonuses, which will right off the bat increase it's PEN by 1 and ACC by 4. 

• Like 1

Right. It's an obscure mechanic and good to know. 

That's by the way thr reason why Driving Roar (Barbarian) is so good as well: it counts as PL 1 ability since its just an upgrade of the Yell - but it has the highest ability level at the same time. 

But maybe Divine Immolation is not worth 1 ability point if you don't actually heal anything. Although depends... 4 ACC and 1 PEN are hard to get with just 1 PL from Prestige. Even if you don't heal anybody. On the other hand the PL from Prestige works on all of your abilities, not just SI. Difficult decision...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

That it is....let’s break it down if you guys have time!

DI-Would help me hit harder and more accurately with my most consistent dps ability.  The Paladins main job isn’t DPS BUT it’s becoming more so the case that he and Xoti do lots of AOE damage and and a bit less support.  It would also consistently heal my Howler Frontliner and Ishiza (Maia has so much ACC that bonded grief doesn’t affect her much or at all due to the Arquebus modal and Marked Prey even on PoTD,but she loses a little dps if Ishiza is down to the bird being fully upgraded)

Prestige: Would increase FoD (not a main dps talent but it can be, I have to respec Eternal Devotion since it improves SI and  shared flames doesn’t go as well with the group comp due to the evolving nature of my original concept of the group).

Light of Pure Zeal?

Improve Glorious Beacon with its upgrade for increased damage taken to enemy.

My Exhortations? Reinforcing, Hastening it’s upgrade, and Liberating.

The rest of my build is right side of the tree passives.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Hmmm well It’s a party! So  The DPS increase of Glorious beacon is for my scout and mindstalker.  High triple digit shots against bosses has been the result.  Even it’s a few shots, those really hurt.  It’s been really good, but I hear you it’s only a few attacks.Light of Pure Zeal has been excellent so far, trivializes vessel and spirit fights and it’s a great emergency heal.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

1 hour ago, Torm51 said:

Hmmm well It’s a party! So  The DPS increase of Glorious beacon is for my scout and mindstalker.  High triple digit shots against bosses has been the result.  Even it’s a few shots, those really hurt.  It’s been really good, but I hear you it’s only a few attacks.Light of Pure Zeal has been excellent so far, trivializes vessel and spirit fights and it’s a great emergency heal.

That makes sense. It's cool you're utilizing it with the party in mind. It sounds like you're getting full use out of the skills you have already. If you do respec, I'd be interested to hear how other combinations work. 

I’m at 20 and can’t decide on prestige or DI lol.  I’m on Rymrgands realms to so I better hurry before my souls desolves! Lol

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.