Returning PoE 1 player fresh start on PoE2 some character building questions

Returning PoE1 player here and as far as I remember I spent most time in first game building my characters and trying to find awesome new builds, when it comes to building characters I really like to maximise their strengths via items and attributes and to do that I need to dump some of the attributes that are not necessary for some classes so my question would be what attributes should I max and what attributes should I dump for tanks ? casters ? melee fighters ? ranged fighters etc. Maybe there is some kind of guide for this somewhere on internet ?

Generally speaking: with somebody who doesn't get attacked a lot (characters with ranged weapon, ranged casters etc.) you can drop Resolve and Constitution. 

All other stats do have an offensive component in one way or another. I will write down the stats and what they do and then you can easily see what you can safely dump and what not.

MIG: influences all damage done (additive). influences all healing done (except draining) in the same way. influences your Fortitude defense.

CON: influences your health pool. influences your fortitude defense

DEX: influences your action speed and recovery time. influences your Reflex defense

PER: influences your accuracy (for all offensive actions). influencens your Reflex defense. Influences your ability to find secrets (traps, hidden stuff)

INT: influences the size of all Area of Effect stuff (spells, special attacks etc.), influences the duration of your applied effects (CC, damage over time, summons etc.). Influences your Will defense

RES: influences the duration of harmful effects (the higher the shorter the effect), influences your Will defense, influences your Deflection defense.

As you can see, only CON and RES have effects that are non-offensive. So - for offensive characters it is best to drop those. Of course: a dead character can't be offensive, so one might not want to overdo it. Getting one-shotted by an arquebus or arbalest is very possible if you are too shquishy and it's difficult to prevent that at the start of the fight. So... it's a balance act.

The most important dps stat is DEX for most glass cannons, followed by PER in the early game (when you miss often). For MIG and INT it depends: for example for a  fasdt melee Rogue who can stack a lot of other additive dmg modifiers MIG isn't very important. But for a Wizard who can only raise his spell damage with MIG it's often the only dmg boost - so he wants it. Also a Rogue who does mostly single target damage (no AoE abilites picked) INT might not be that important. It's nice to apply long lasting afflictions - but usually enemies don't last that long against a Rogue so a mediocre score is often sufficient. For a Wizard with Fireballs: he wants a huge AoE and thus needs INT.    

Tanky characters usually want to do it the other way round. If it's a pure tank he might want to drop DEX and PER since they are mostly offensive stats. Their only defensive capabilities are for Reflex - but for that there are large shields: they not only raise Reflex back up (and drop accuracy) but also have a modal that helps a lot against AoE effects - and those often target Reflex. MIG can be important because your self healing will be a lot better with high MIG. Also Fortitude is an important defense which protects against the most nasty afflictions. Same with CON: bigger health pool and higher Fortitude. Although as soon as your defenses are really high you don't need that much of a health pool if the healing is good. But for the earlygame it can be importent in order to not get one-shotted. Your defenses only develop over time.

However: this is just generally speaking. There are enough special cases and subclasses or items and abilites where this might not apply. For example: A Forbidden Fist Monk has this awesome ability "Forbidden Fist". It's a great offensive tool but if you use it too often too quickly you get a curse that drains your health rapidly. However, the duration of that curse can be shortened with Resolve. So this guy wants to max Resolve in order to keep the curse very short so he can use his "oompf" more often which raises his damage output.
Or: a Rogue who specializes in Damage over Time effects, applied to multiple enemies, wants to max INT and MIG. Not only can he reach more enemies with an AoE weapon (there are some like hand mortars, rods with a blast and so on) but also the overall damage of a DoT effect raises with MIG (every tick does more damage) and INT (longer duration so more ticks).
Stuff like this you can find in many forms. But the general approach I described above is a good point to start I guess.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

"However: this is just generally speaking. There are enough special cases and subclasses or items and abilites where this might not apply. "

And then even without changing Class you can swing the other way. 

HelWalker even as a support DPS wants to make sure it doesn't go too low on Con due to it's increased Incoming Damage ( 150% of normal at Max Wounds ) as it want's to be holding Wounds for Damage.

It either wants to be stacking for Capped STR ( after abilities and equip/food/POE1 game state this can be as low as 11 base though ), or dumping STR and using the Class Perk to get to mid 20s.

Mine runs a whole 11 base STR... but then with GFM/ER ( POE1 stat inherits ) gets +2, one of my slots is +1, Beraths Blessing is another +2, Gloves gives another +2, then food gives +2/+1PL.

that's me at 20 for OOC, chuck in Class Perk and thunderous blows?  35 hardcap

So generating and holding 10 Wounds is something I want, especially since you then look at Duality ( and especially Turning Wheel ) which throws another +10 INT and a solid fire lash on top.

13 hours ago, 3x0du5 said:

when it comes to building characters I really like to maximise their strengths via items and attributes and to do that I need to dump some of the attributes that are not necessary for some classes so my question would be what attributes should I max and what attributes should I dump for tanks ? casters ? melee fighters ? ranged fighters etc. Maybe there is some kind of guide for this somewhere on internet ?

In this game... It's literally going to be Job by Job dependent on Class and loadout.

Never mind the case above... I have two ranged Ranger/x DPS in my current team.

One has Maxed PER/MIG and because it's what I think of as a "Repeat Alpha/Crit" build focusing on consistent heavy crits and ST damage, the other has PER/INT focus because it's focusing on AOE and also Cipher effects.

Then you could get into "Tank?"

Sure.

Herald Roadblock for lockdown?

Unbroken/Trickster Riposte?

Crusader DPS Magnet?

Templar MT/OH?

You can go as deep or light as you want, especially if not on POTD or soloing.