I haven't played through Deadfire since shortly after release, and it was a hot mess. I managed to do everything out of order and haven't seen the DLC yet.

With all the patches, if I wanted to play a spear weapon focused guy, what would my build be?

I also don't normally play games more than once, so being able to go everywhere, do everything, see everything, etc. is a real benefit to me - barring the obvious ending issues.

Well that's kind of broad. Do you want to be a damage dealer? Would you rather be a tank and use a shield? 

If I were to do a Spear build I think I'd strongly consider doing at least one of the classes as Rogue. One of the best Spears in the game has a flank damage ability which scales based off of your stealth skill. 

I could see a Paladin (Bleakwalker if evil, Kind Wayfarer if good)/ Rogue (Streetfighter) being a fun combo. Let the enemy flank you so that you get the bonus Streetfighter damage and then have your Druid or Wizards cast Chill Fog which should apply flanked status to the enemy. You will hit like a truck. Downside is this character might be semi fragile compared to a true tank so you will need to be careful to not let too many enemies flank you. However you would hit very hard.

If you want something more tanky maybe a classic Paladin (shieldbearer) and then either Chanter for your other class (Troubadour) or pick Fighter (Unbroken or Devoted). With this character it's straightforward: wear a shield, use a spear, and then either summon monsters to help you tank if Chanter (also use the +heal chant) or if Fighter just tank away and take talents that boost your defenses.

Honestly I wasn't sure. I just really like spears as weapons, and am a bit burned out on the dagger-rogue, greatsword-fighter, axe-dwarf type setup.

So it'd either need to be a damage or tank type. Maybe devoted/chanter for the healing.

Any suggestion on race/class?

Was also googling and saw someone had done a grenadier build, but it's old. Might be interesting.

The spear that was mentioned is named "Stalker's Patience". So I highly recommend to play a Stalker. ;) Also because it's easy to flank an enemy if you have an Animal Comparion. 

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, kroonermanblack said:

Honestly I wasn't sure. I just really like spears as weapons, and am a bit burned out on the dagger-rogue, greatsword-fighter, axe-dwarf type setup.

So it'd either need to be a damage or tank type. Maybe devoted/chanter for the healing.

Any suggestion on race/class?

Was also googling and saw someone had done a grenadier build, but it's old. Might be interesting.

Boeroer's suggestion of a Stalker is cool. Couple of considerations here. You multi it with Fighter(Devoted) for extra Spear penetration since you know you're using Spears. You could also do Paladin and pick something like Kindwayfarer or Bleakwalker so that your Flames of Devotions give more utility. You could also do Rogue and choose Trickster (for extra tankiness) or Streetfighter (for extra dps). 

Single Class Stalker is strong too because Rangers get a great PL 8 ability called Whirling Strikes which will let you wade into big groups of enemies and blender them with your Ranger.

Character is straightforward to play you just flank enemies with your pet and make sure you and the pet are always fighting as a team. Not sure what I'd do for Race. There isn't an obvious one that sticks out to me. Dwarf, Aumau or Human I'd guess for the Might bonuses. 

I ended up going for a devoted/goldpact quarterstaff build.  I really wanted a two handed weapon, and it seemed like the best option.

I like being able to do a spear, but a quarterstaff is kind of close, and the character type fit. I'm using the bloodsail pirate build as a template, though since I'm on normal I didn't reduce stuff below 10.

12 hours ago, Boeroer said:

The spear that was mentioned is named "Stalker's Patience". So I highly recommend to play a Stalker. ;) Also because it's easy to flank an enemy if you have an Animal Comparion. 

Also synergize perfectly with predator's sensés.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kroonermanblack said:

I ended up going for a devoted/goldpact quarterstaff build.  I really wanted a two handed weapon, and it seemed like the best option.

I like being able to do a spear, but a quarterstaff is kind of close, and the character type fit. I'm using the bloodsail pirate build as a template, though since I'm on normal I didn't reduce stuff below 10.

Get ChromoPrismatic, Focus on metaphysics and pick Soul Storm and Enthralled Blights ;)

Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff

Edited by Vonbek
forgot link

other possibilty if you don't mind mods?

Lord Darryn's Voulge plus LDV bondable to Paladin plus if you fancy looks over abilities... Deltro's Cage

Personally I want a mod to allow monk bonding ( instead of barbarian ) for LDV and then I'll build Raiden, God of Thunder ( most likely to be Shadowdancer ( Monk / Rogue )) and just go to town with Electrical Explosions everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Vonbek said:

other possibilty if you don't mind mods?

Lord Darryn's Voulge plus LDV bondable to Paladin plus if you fancy looks over abilities... Deltro's Cage

Personally I want a mod to allow monk bonding ( instead of barbarian ) for LDV and then I'll build Raiden, God of Thunder ( most likely to be Shadowdancer ( Monk / Rogue )) and just go to town with Electrical Explosions everywhere.

I'm not super against mods, but I had already planned to run the chronoprismatic QS, and don't feel like restarting etc.

It'll do.  Thanks though!

20 hours ago, kroonermanblack said:

I'm not super against mods, but I had already planned to run the chronoprismatic QS, and don't feel like restarting etc.

It'll do.  Thanks though!

Remember and pump Metaphys then. Have fun ;)

One of my best char was a spear wilder.

I went monk/fighter, crit based build. So 1h style, conqueror stance, swift flurry + upgrade, hit to crit chance from fighter, monks passives that gives chance of new attack on crit ecc ecc

Basically i tried to stack everything wich gives accuracy and hit to crit conversion and what gives you more attacks on crit ( monk's stuff)

Went very well. Sometimes i triggered even 5-6 attacks togheter. Solid char, good defensives too. Moreover spear are a good category of weapon with a decent progression.

Only bad side is that in the end for the build sun&moon worked significantively better, since 2 attacks = much more chance to trigger a crit chain.

But the two separate attacks of the individual flail heads have lower base damage - and Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming only repeats the individual hit of one single flail head, not the whole strike. So the enhanced dps percentage with Sun & Moon + Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming should be less than with a spear.

I did a similar build but with Rännig's Wrath since Rapiers have +5 ACC out of the box (like spears) but Rännig's Wrath has an additional +4 and can utilize the modal which gives you additional +20 ACC.

Good thing about spears though is that there's one that does pierce/slash and not only pierce damage.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods