A Funny Stuff Thread

Amentep

image.png.1b5b007b632da282d313be706ab3ae0f.png

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1568815796040.png

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So it seems there was this hitchhiker walking down a long and desolate road on a dark, foggy night. When out of the fog a car appears and slows down next to him. Thinking he was being offered a ride he got in.  As the car began moving he looked over and was horrified to see there was no driver. Then he was more horrified to see a curve in the road ahead. Just as he was sure he was doomed a hand reached in from outside the driver side window and turned the steering wheel. 

The hitchhiker was terrified. He sank down into the seat and held his breath. Every so often the disembodied hand reached in from outside the car and turned the wheel. Finally his nerve broke and he jumped from the car and ran all the way to the next town. He stumbled into a bar and ordered four shots of tequila,

After downing the liquor he began telling the other patrons at the bar of his experience. Just then two big guys walked into the bar. One of them glances at the hitchhiker then turns to the other and say "Hey isn't that the little sonofabitch who got in the car while we were pushing it?"

:lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It would be a curious comparison to see how many Ukrainians can pick out Arkansas on a map.

Taking into consideration that like most central/east european countries they do learn in school to name countries and their capitals on a contour map (which is a map without the names of countries, just the lines of borders) I would say quite a big numer would be spot on on Arkansas. 

Edited by Skarpen
spelling

166215__front.jpg

did you notice though that nobody put a dot on Mexico?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

It would be a curious comparison to see how many Ukrainians can pick out Arkansas on a map.

Probably same proportion as Americans, that's a flyover state, right ? 😛

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577511/Winston-Churchill-didnt-really-exist-say-teens.html

spent time teaching in europe and gonna suggest the claims 'bout comparative deficiency o' US education, particular University level, is in our experience... amusing. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/happy-thanksgiving-we-are-very-sorry

for comparison. not claiming validity btw.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

The pip out in the Atlantic makes me lol, while simultaneously discrediting the meme.

The Australia pips are really rich. There are two of them! I mean, I'm not sure that US students really do much Ukrainian mapping during their K-12 years, but they definitely learn the continents. :p

16 hours ago, Gromnir said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577511/Winston-Churchill-didnt-really-exist-say-teens.html

spent time teaching in europe and gonna suggest the claims 'bout comparative deficiency o' US education, particular University level, is in our experience... amusing. 

HA! Good Fun!

**** it, we deserve to go extinct...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I actually think you've really made it as an icon if people see you in the same light as Sherlock Holmes and King Arthur. They are fictional characters, sure, but they also hold up over the generations and are constantly being reinvented. It's also not necessarily a bad thing when a fictional character crosses the line of reality, because they often represent a period of time, and I'd argue that it is a lot easier to correct someone on Robin Hood being fictional than it is to teach someone about the setting in which the fictional character lived. 

22 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Taking into consideration that like most central/east european countries they do learn in school to name countries and their capitals on a contour map (which is a map without the names of countries, just the lines of borders) I would say quite a big numer would be spot on on Arkansas. 

It's a state, not a country.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Mic drop from the Boss, General Mike "Mobile" Holmes":

EE8CcScU4AAbwAe?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 5
  • Hmmm 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I actually think you've really made it as an icon if people see you in the same light as Sherlock Holmes and King Arthur. They are fictional characters, sure, but they also hold up over the generations and are constantly being reinvented. It's also not necessarily a bad thing when a fictional character crosses the line of reality, because they often represent a period of time, and I'd argue that it is a lot easier to correct someone on Robin Hood being fictional than it is to teach someone about the setting in which the fictional character lived. 

show a pictures o' churchill and dumbledore, side-by-side. school kids in uk is told to label which individual is historical and which is fictional. +30% english school kids choose dumbledore as historical.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!