Wow classic

daven

25 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Hmm, must've been the realm, honestly. I've only really had one negative experience pre-LFG and that was some troll in Uldum. The reason I remember was because, well, it was like the only time. People throwing tantrums etc happened, but nothing eggregious, certainly not people randomly dropping groups. There were no blacklists (that I'm aware off), if players were big enough pricks people would just remember (and as long as one person in the party remembered, well that was usually that).

I do remember people stating that Horde attracted a more mature audience early on, so that might have been a factor (cannot confirm nor deny whether that was true as I only made an alliance character on that same realm well into WotLK and by then that definitely no longer was the case)

Btw, wasn't there a LFG? Just not an automated one? Or was that a TBC addition? In which case I might be talking about the wrong thing here, I abhorr the automated matchmaking thing (even if not cross realm), being able to advertise for a group without having to stick to one spot is definitely a good thing though.

Actually there was a LFG channel, I think it was global but don't really recall people using it.  They added the tool in Wrath I believe and people found it popular.  WoW fanbase is all obsessed with efficiency, after all - why dungeon groups always spend time humping walls to avoid trash :P

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Actually there was a LFG channel, I think it was global but don't really recall people using it.  They added the tool in Wrath I believe and people found it popular.  WoW fanbase is all obsessed with efficiency, after all - why dungeon groups always spend time humping walls to avoid trash 😛

I’ve turned on LFG channel only, when I was interested in going to dungeon. And it was global. Also everywhere, where I was playing, was Horde really advertised, and felt like more mature bunch. The first thing which changed it was the introduction of “Honor” system, and then the LFG matchmaking. I have also played on Magtheridon-EU, and where one Horde (Nihilum) and one Alliance guild, which name I do not recall anymore, were competing for the World Firsts. This on one hand brought the most mature playerbase, which were in top 20 realm guilds, and also brought up the most retarded individuals, mostly guildless or in some random dip**** guilds, which were acting like the most immature ****, I’ve ever met, which for some weird reason thought, that being immature retarded ****sucking ****, would open up them place in these top guilds. I was happy to be in the 14th placed guild in the realm, which had the best people I have ever met on-line. Also there were tons of people among the both factions who even respected their opponents in PvP, and when they killed each other in some quality match, they used to thank each other with emotes for the fight without the need of teabagging and opening 25new threads on the realm forums. Try to imagine that in the current toxic environment. I will remember to the end of my days to have hundreds of epic PvP encounters with one Bulgarian alliance hunter called Aimbot. He was really one of the best PvP hunters in the realm, and I had one really uncommon PvE build for a Warlock, so in our match up it was always 50-50 chance for a win or lose, depending on my trinkets being on or off cooldown 😛 , From what I read on forums, that was pretty uncommon, because with his AQ gear, he steamrolled most of the horde guys with few shots. There was a lot of guys like him, which earned the respect this way among all other players, and which were really remembered accross the factions.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

7 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I barely touch the dungeons and have never raided. I wonder what percentage of classic players are like me?

I'd hazard a guess, and say at least a few are, and some of them are even more old school than WoWClassic Vanilla day 1,  ie, Everquest and NWN MMO RPGers. I can easily see myself doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The LFG thing is mostly a sidestory for me because the opportunity for it to be relevant was closed by the time it was introduced. By the time WoTLK rolled around, I had long retired from the PUG scene and essentially did dungeons with guildies exclusively - the LFG tool therefore served the one (admittedly convenient) purpose of removing travel time. Yeah, yeah, I know the "it makes the world feel small" argument, but eh, manually flying there also does that.

Actually though, I can see the difference it made to the social aspect of the game in my brief experiment at levelling an opposite-faction character, which I did back in Cataclysm. I made it all the way from 1-85 not just without getting to know a single other person, but by literally not ever talking with another person. Granted I'm a very withdrawn person naturally, and will almost never initiate a conversation. All my friendships in the game were initiated by the friend.

13 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I barely touch the dungeons and have never raided. I wonder what percentage of classic players are like me?

I started classic blind, like many people. I never expected to do any particular type of content, or to even make a single friend. But I did make a few friends, and managed to build a decent rep (essential as a rogue) on the dungeon PUG scene through networking and (I hope) competent play. Taking this "natural" approach I went maybe 5 months before I felt I had run out of stuff to do, and I think I would have quit soon thereafter if I didn't make the conscious choice to join an established raiding guild.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

On 9/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, Malcador said:

Some fans have been asking for that, but have to think the game is where it is due to players liking it.  Hardcore players have always bitched the loudest but who knows if they're the largest set (I anticipate hearing people bitch about people not "earning" the gear soon)  Doubt that Blizzard just does the opposite of what the players seem to like just for laughs.   Vanilla's mythologizing is getting pretty comical now - heard someone describe the gameplay as 'emergent' which makes me wonder what game that person was playing. 

As for the line about thinking you do, it's still early days - give it time and some people may not find the grind all that fun especially after 30 when the path you're to take because more muddled.  People raved about WoD in early days after all, hah.  Takes a while for the inevitable bitching WoW players are only good for to come out ;) Always thought he was more correct than some give him credit for, seems to think everyone believed he was totally wrong.  

I do wonder what changes they can try to make to the current version based on the classic feedback.  Given the current version will be an expansion is a bit harder to get the same journey feel in 10 levels that people did out of 60 and 40 odd zones. 

I think most of this is going to take care of itself, but I also think that they are going to retrograde a few of their systems to give back some complexity. They'll see what players really attach to (again) in classic and emulate it in the next xpac in some way shape or form. It won't be perfect (obviously) but it may do something like reverting talents to actual trees instead of the polyglot they are now.

I do know a lot of my friends are on it seemingly every night, I just can't get into it because I can't get over the initial hump to actually have my class play properly.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

World of mages and hunters on my server.  I definitely wish they had a FP in Raven Hill like they do in live, lots of tedious running around in Duskwood. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Do you have to roll a new toon to play classic or can you migrate an existing one?

Roll a new one.  What would be the point if you didn't get to experience The Journey of levelling to 60 ?! 😛

• Like 1

Level 35 finally. Yes some of the zones are quite tedious because of the lack of flight paths. In Stranglethorn Vale now and the closest are Duskwood or Booty Bay which are a bit of a trek. Then I want to go dungeon in Scarlet Monastery... that's a massive journey with horde waiting outside each time! You really have to have a few hours dedicated each time you want to play.

nowt

AFAIK, that did never change.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Good thing about being a Warlock or Paladin, you get one for free

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello all ex-Black Isle and Obsidian.et forum'ers. Hope you are all well.

Returned to add a post, since its been, maybe, 2 years since my last post. Didn't want a script to erase my account here, because of the time delay.

Returned to playing Classic WOW. So far, no regrets. On a pvp server, haven't hit 60 yet.

I had a WOW story typed here, but after trying to copy post, to prevent its accidental erasal, before a failed post submission, I hit the wrong key on this too-small- keyboard, and it got flushed down the...whatever. Grrr.

So, I'll just say, glad this site still has a heartbeat. Thx for keeping my picture icon up, after ..how many years? * counts fingers*…(looses track..gets a pencil)..21 years? Yikes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back!

I was a lurker for a few years without making an account, then made one a couple of years back. It's about the only forum I actually post on anymore.

Oh man I was interested in your story, if you get motivated enough to re type it go for it!

I'm at level 46 now... my internet was down for 3 weeks so lost a load of time everyone in my guild outlevelled me. Oh well there is no rush. I still don't have the gold for a horse what am I doing wroooonnngg?! 

nowt