Wow classic

daven

Anyone thinking about playing it? I used to back in the day, I played wow for around 10 years seriously.  Havent been on in a while now, got bore dof the direction it kept going. 

Maybe we should get a guild or group or something? Classic was brutal playing alone, I just used to kill random mobs I didnt know what the hell I was doing it took me over a year to get max level back then. I was always a prot warrior, tank. Wouldn't mind doing it again. No idea if is even have the time to play it now but maybe do give it a go.

Any of you gonna play?

Edited by daven
Stupid phone auto correct

nowt

1 hour ago, daven said:

Stupid phone auto correct

I don't know what phone you're using but on my S7 you can disable that by clicking on the gear icon when the keyboard is visible, under Smart Typing. They call it Predictive Text. The red underline for misspelled words still exists.

To answer your actual post question - no, I'm not interested. I did like the original WoW (played it off and on until the release of Wrath). I always played it solo (I ignored dungeons, mostly) and actually enjoyed marching the empty huge lands by myself, even if the travel took forever. Eventually I just became a miner/gold-hound with the market trading as a mini-game.  :)  But when I didn't it play it for a couple years or something I canceled the sub and will never go back. I didn't even know they let you fast travel these days. heh.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll be playing it.  People over-lionize vanilla, pretending that it required great intellect or some form of Internet Sisu to succeed in it.  I may go on a PvE server, I spent 12-13 years in a PvP nightmare so I've paid my dues 😛  I'd be ok to use you all to get me raid gear - I mean play with you guys in a guild.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

While I have plenty of nostalgia for it, I don't think it's something I would enjoy today. If I'm subscribed when it launches I might try to recreate my original character and tool around a bit, but somehow I doubt I'd even get to double-digit levels.

Even if I theoretically got through the slog to level 60, I doubt the old endgame structures would organically return in any way resembling how it was. Raids might be mechanically identical to how they were, but everything around them will be unrecognisable - guild structures, the PUG scene, the gearing process, etc.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

As much as I'd like to play Vanilla I don't have the 15h+ each day to meaningsfully rank up in PvP which was the part of the game that I enjoyed.

I managed to rank to General, meaning I'd have to grind for High Warlord..

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My main interest is to see how people will deal with the old raids.

I never played vanilla (started early TBC) and even if there were TBC servers I doubt I'd go back as my guild is long gone, the realm community is long gone (thanks LFG) and I kinda don't have the amount of time I had back then either. To top that off I probably look at games (and MMOs especially) with a rather different lens so it'll likely only distort the fond memories I built up in those years (despite my...situation, back then)

I hope it does well though and results in a massive direction change for WoW. Lord only knows it needs it.

Edited by marelooke

Oh the shame.. the shaaaaame! I need to stop posting when i'm drunk.

But anyway, when I played back in Classic I was mainly solo... or with a friend of mine. We didn't know what the hell we were doing. Jus run around. We'd try get into Burning Stepps or whatever at level 20 because we wanted to recreate scenes from LOTR. Took us about 4 hours to get through Deadmines, dying constantly, running back to respawn and then half our armour was knackered so we'd have to go back and get that fixed etc.

Actually i've now completely talked myself out of getting it. Back then I was 16? Still in 6th form and only had around 4-5 hours of lessons a daay so could **** around on my PC the rest of the time with no other responsibilities. Getting old SUCKS!

nowt

The only MMO I ever played was Lord of Ultima and that will most likely be the last - I just can't do it, I remember being at work with my bosses trying to check the status of our coordinated attacks lol ... and I remember when WoW was released I promised I would never play because it would take over my life, and I still feel the same lol.

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Old raids will be mowed down with trivial difficulty. Not just based on everything unknown then now being common knowledge, but the capability of the tools available now will also be much greater. That, and obviously starting at patch 1.12 means the players will be much more powerful too, with the classes having been reworked and thus all being at effectively full power. No more useless 31 point talents for one...

I started in January 2005, though only playing for the included month. Got to exactly level 40 on the day the gametime expired. Only returned about three months later, spent a bit of time in the PUG scene thanks to a few friends I made along the way, eventually one - a druid - got into a serious US raiding guild, and I as a rogue managed to tag along, partly because of the nepotism of wanting to appease the new healer, and because they just happened to lose three of their rogues very recently. Latency back then to the US west coast servers approached 400ms. I like to think I was a decent player back then but imagine the performance gain from 400ms back then to 12ms today.

That guild broke up at the end of vanilla, but almost by accident, I along with my Aussie/SE Asian friends founded a raiding guild of our own (or rather, commandeered an existing bank alt guild). I'm still in it today, albeit in a very casual, "guild elder" sort of role. We've got maybe about half-a-dozen survivors from BC which is probably pretty good compared to the average retention rate of WoW players these days.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

59 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Old raids will be mowed down with trivial difficulty. Not just based on everything unknown then now being common knowledge, but the capability of the tools available now will also be much greater. That, and obviously starting at patch 1.12 means the players will be much more powerful too, with the classes having been reworked and thus all being at effectively full power. No more useless 31 point talents for one...

Would have been fun starting with the original skill trees though. Ah, to hear paladins winging about their only role being a blessing of kings buff bot auto-attacking bosses for proccs wearing a combination of leather and cloth because plate didn't come with healer stats. 😆

It'll take a while to clear the raids though, even with the trivial mechanics. You'd still need to craft cloaks to kill Nefarian, go through the Onyxia attunement and several lockouts to get the materials, clear Scholomance to craft flasks and all that. Not to mention getting resist gear for AQ40 and the Four Horseman in Naxx needing four well geared tanks to get through reliably.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

53 minutes ago, majestic said:

Would have been fun starting with the original skill trees though. Ah, to hear paladins winging about their only role being a blessing of kings buff bot auto-attacking bosses for proccs wearing a combination of leather and cloth because plate didn't come with healer stats. 😆

It'll take a while to clear the raids though, even with the trivial mechanics. You'd still need to craft cloaks to kill Nefarian, go through the Onyxia attunement and several lockouts to get the materials, clear Scholomance to craft flasks and all that. Not to mention getting resist gear for AQ40 and the Four Horseman in Naxx needing four well geared tanks to get through reliably.

Yeah it's going to be a disaster. People don't have the patience for this crap anymore.

nowt

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I started in January 2005, though only playing for the included month. Got to exactly level 40 on the day the gametime expired. Only returned about three months later, spent a bit of time in the PUG scene thanks to a few friends I made along the way, eventually one - a druid - got into a serious US raiding guild, and I as a rogue managed to tag along, partly because of the nepotism of wanting to appease the new healer, and because they just happened to lose three of their rogues very recently. Latency back then to the US west coast servers approached 400ms. I like to think I was a decent player back then but imagine the performance gain from 400ms back then to 12ms today.

That guild broke up at the end of vanilla, but almost by accident, I along with my Aussie/SE Asian friends founded a raiding guild of our own (or rather, commandeered an existing bank alt guild). I'm still in it today, albeit in a very casual, "guild elder" sort of role. We've got maybe about half-a-dozen survivors from BC which is probably pretty good compared to the average retention rate of WoW players these days.

Was 1.12 the "TBC preparation patch"? I mean, I sure hope it is not, because if so then that's not vanilla, like, at all, that's like setting up a TBC realm and letting people start at the "WotLK preparation patch" (which would be the patch that added achievements), it made power levels go through the roof and many guilds that weren't able to get anywhere prior now could easily clear at least some of the earlier raids.

Edited by marelooke

I wouldn't mind if this turned into a WoW classic stories thread.

I actually met up with my old guild around 6-7 years ago in London. There was a few who flew in from Denmark, Sweden, some other places. The rest from around England. It's super nerdy thinking back now but it was a good night out, we all just got drunk and talking about WoW and crap. I think one of them actually got his first legover that night.

Also, i started playing the damn game originally because of Pure Pwnage. Anyone remember that show? I was obsessed for years. I even once owned a pair of t3h_pwnerer boxer shorts.

Edited by daven

nowt

20 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Lord of the Rings Online needs a classic launch. ;(

I've had a lot of fun on the Legendary servers

It's not the old mechanics but it is nice to run through the beginning of the game again and see it heavily populated with the slower level speed and the slow roll out of the expansions. Had a blast running Carn Dum, Urugarth, and Barad Gularan again

Almost forgot Helegrod and the Rift

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

46 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Was 1.12 the "TBC preparation patch"? I mean, I sure hope it is not, because if so then that's not vanilla, like, at all, that's like setting up a TBC realm and letting people start at the "WotLK preparation patch" (which would be the patch that added achievements), it made power levels go through the roof and many guilds that weren't able to get anywhere prior now could easily clear at least some of the earlier raids.

No, it wasn't. It was the last regular classic patch. The preperation patches always begin with the version numbers of their expansions.

For all their faults, Daybreak does a really interesting thing with Everquest 2 that allows players to progress through game expansions on an accelerated pace. They call that time-locked server. When a new one opens it is base EQ2 and every 16 weeks the next expansion is applied to it. You can watch the game unfold as it did, with some differences. There are no game update patches, the expansions are released and in the middle of the cycle they apply all the smaller patches that happened after an expansion came out.

Every time I think about rejoining but there's a steep time requirement to playing Everquest 2 in its classic state that I just can't fulfill any more. I do miss it though, my time in EQ2 was some of the best time I spent playing MMOs.

Edited by majestic
Added the obligatory EQ2 stuff

6 hours ago, majestic said:

5 hours ago, daven said:

Yeah it's going to be a disaster. People don't have the patience for this crap anymore.

Looking up the release plans right now, MC will be available at launch, and BWL will be available in "phase 3", so that probably leaves a lot of time to gear up reasonably well and negate some of the time gating. Dire Maul being in the second phase though will mean initial dungeon gear will be fairly unoptimised.

Regardless though, I reckon the world "first" will probably just cheese it with an army of level 10 warlocks outside the raid soulstoning anyone without a cloak.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

10 hours ago, daven said:

I wouldn't mind if this turned into a WoW classic stories thread.

I actually met up with my old guild around 6-7 years ago in London. There was a few who flew in from Denmark, Sweden, some other places. The rest from around England. It's super nerdy thinking back now but it was a good night out, we all just got drunk and talking about WoW and crap. I think one of them actually got his first legover that night.

Also, i started playing the damn game originally because of Pure Pwnage. Anyone remember that show? I was obsessed for years. I even once owned a pair of t3h_pwnerer boxer shorts.

Yup, still got their T-Shirt of Pure Pwnage WoW cloth “armour” piece 😄

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

17 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Regardless though, I reckon the world "first" will probably just cheese it with an army of level 10 warlocks outside the raid soulstoning anyone without a cloak. 

Well that's possible. Forgot that the in-fight resurrection limit wasn't always around. ;)

In 1.12, OOC res was already removed.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours