After reading about Warlock and Sage, spellblade etc I was super curious. how's citzals spirit lance builds after all the nerfs? kinda wanted to try warlock or sage; for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZOPdgQWkYI but I hear these are super out of date and nerfed to oblivion, also worried about having fun till you get the lance

Which is the most effective? Doing aoe skyward and other monk abilities looks so fun with a big glowing lance. I always wanted to make a quarter staff monk but HATED how it looked like a huge cudgel (animations) for a monk, this looks so much nicer. 

Actually Spirit Lance never changed (except there was a bug that prevented all AoE weapon to work properly but that was fixed).

So most attack abilities apply their effects in an AoE with it. Exception: Wounding Shot. And maybe others. But afaik the Monk and Barb and Rogue stuff all works.

And yes: you can use other (summoned) weapons to good effect with e.g. a Sage.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I can attest that Spellblade still works.  I'm playing Aloth that way in my current game (so, base-class in both Rogue and Wizard), and he's extremely effective.  Katrenn's Grimoire as the base, buff with IwVE, Mirrored Images, Spirit Shield, DAoM, and the Lance.  Also include Flame Shield (when the Freeze AR would help) or Arcane Reflection when appropriate.  After buffing, it's mostly melee (with lots of Arterial Strike, Confounding Blind, and the occasional Devastating Blow or Toxic Strike) but summoning a Phantom, Pulling Eora, or casting R's Repulsive Visage can be worthwhile enhancers to melee effectiveness, depending on the encounter in question.  Light armor (upgrading his default armor is a nice choice for the overseeing on the Lance AoE, but others like Miscreant's or the Pale Hide work, too).  Weapon slots are an Arquebus (which I sometimes use as a Arterial-Strike combat initiator) and the best 2-handed weapon not needed by the rest of the party. 

Up until level 13, I played him as ranged more than melee.  Used the Battle-Worn Grimoire as primary, but had others to sub in situationally (including a melee option).  The usual support Wizard stuff-- Combust wounds, Chillfog, Slicken, etc.-- followed by K's Minor Blights used with Rogue abilities.  Didn't carry the party like he sometimes does post-Lance, but he helped out.

Edit to Boeroer's point:  Yeah, as far as I know, the only real nerf to the gishy Wizard stuff was Llengrath's Displaced Image.  IIRC, the Deflection boost was tuned way down, making it less a replacement for Mirrored Image or Arcane Veil, and more a supplement to get the REF boost and the hit-to-graze. 

Edited by Enoch

Keep in Mind that Mirrored Image or Arcane Veil stack their deflection with Llengrath's Safeguard or Vigorous Defense (Battlemage).

Speaking of Battlemage: Citzal's + Mule Kick is pretty cool as Wizard/Tactician.

And of course Citzal's + Clear Out is great as well. 

For Sage: Force of Anguish + Citzal's is funny, but most of the time not that practical. Stunning Surge + Citzal's is great. As is Instruments of Pain + Spirit Lance, especially if you summon a Phantom then (which uses the same Lance then for the whole summoning duration).

I never tried, but I guess Wizard/Steel Garrote could be cool with the Steel Garrote's draining passive against afflicted enemies. No idea if the AoE also drains health, but maybe...

Eternal Devotion + Ring of Focused Flames + Zandethu's Draconic Fury gives your lance's AoE a pretty impressive lash combo.

Before that you can use Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff in order to get combined draining from the staff itself and the Garrote's passive. That I tried and it's viable.