The Outer Worlds won't Launch on Steam pt 2

On 9/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, Chairchucker said:

Personally not a fan but here's a pro: it allows you to play some games.

if you consider that kind of scum "pro" then I don't see much point into talking to you. It's not to late to do the right thing, you know. Boycot or wipe out those bastards, instead of supporting them.

• Confused 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, DekarServerbot said:

if you consider that kind of scum "pro" then I don't see much point into talking to you. It's not to late to do the right thing, you know. Boycot or wipe out those bastards, instead of supporting them.

You should recruit an autistic teenager to plead your case at the UN.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Frankly, I'm not even sure what's going on with this discussion anymore.

But on a positive note, we're only a few weeks away from the forums actually discussing The Outer Worlds. It will be a nice break from meta-gaming storefronts or taking sides in a proxy battle between billion-dollar corporations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Frankly, I'm not even sure what's going on with this discussion anymore.

But on a positive note, we're only a few weeks away from the forums actually discussing The Outer Worlds. It will be a nice break from meta-gaming storefronts or taking sides in a proxy battle between billion-dollar corporations.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Please review the forum guidelines. We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ. Calling another user stupid does not meet this criteria.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 9/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, Ethics Gradient said:

While it may not be as feature-complete as other storefronts, I still haven't encountered the "truckload of cons" that has been claimed.

We get it. Some folks, less rational or contemplative folks, think having 50 storefronts each with their own little parcel of exclusive product is a *good* idea. 

They would be absolutely entitled to this opinion. Completely wrong but entitled. 

Accepting exclusivity bribes is anti-consumer and any publisher playing this game will not, in any way, learn this unless we collectively act to hit them on their bottom line.

The success in the idiocy behind console platforms tells us this will *never* happen because the average consumer is not all that aware. 

Regardless, I say again. The correct channel through which we should voice our opinion is not ranting at each other on public forums.

It's simply choosing to not purchase. On any platform.  

• Like 1

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

On 10/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, Amentep said:

Please review the forum guidelines. We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ. Calling another user stupid does not meet this criteria.

Damn it, I intended to come in here and flame folks.  I'm grinning here.

The thing is, any platform that exists must, by necessity, provide something of value to those who provide their custom.  I b completely /b respect that people will push for what they desire.  I'm not being facetious.  Seriously, keep fighting.  I'll always support consumers going to the mattresses for what they want.

I just think attacking other fellow consumers is weak.  It works a little sometimes in the beginning, if that.  Otherwise, it just hardens opposition.  Agitate for what you want.  Don't waste your time going after supporters for their preference.  I use STEAM *a lot.*  I'd rather have it on STEAM.  However, it's not a deal breaker if I need to use a different service.  I'm kind of tired an maybe not at my best right now, but is there an option to buy it in hard copy mode?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm not as invested as I used to be, but I can't bear animosity for people buying a game on the platform they prefer.

• Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

10 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

The thing is, any platform that exists must, by necessity, provide something of value to those who provide their custom.  I b completely /b respect that people will push for what they desire.  I'm not being facetious.  Seriously, keep fighting.  I'll always support consumers going to the mattresses for what they want.

I just think attacking other fellow consumers is weak.  It works a little sometimes in the beginning, if that.  Otherwise, it just hardens opposition.  Agitate for what you want.  Don't waste your time going after supporters for their preference.  I use STEAM *a lot.*  I'd rather have it on STEAM.  However, it's not a deal breaker if I need to use a different service.  I'm kind of tired an maybe not at my best right now, but is there an option to buy it in hard copy mode?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm not as invested as I used to be, but I can't bear animosity for people buying a game on the platform they prefer.

So that's it? are you going to let Epic win this one? Well if you are in need to use another front, i suggest you at least have the decency to use Microsoft one instead, you can update to windows 10 absolutely free right now so go for it, and if you think that your rig won't handle windows 10 then i have bad news for you: you have not the minimum requirements to play TOW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

:ban:

😛

Obligatory On-Topic: Personally I think timed exclusives are silly because I have no issue with waiting out the timing (this is excluding any look at whether supporting a game at all can be seen as support for a 'bad' practice or support for a 'good' game).

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think I'm just going to wait a year. I don't feel super strongly about the whole epic vs steam thing but I just don't want another launcher on my PC and the windows store is terrible. I'm honestly not super excited for The Outer Worlds anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I dont care about the discussion around making games epicstore only yada yada yada 

I got around 170 Games in Steam. I'm not gonna change my Launcher now, Its to late for that and besides that I m quite happy with steam.

Another game that wont make it into my libary...

Even your release in steam 2020 doesent help. then my time will go into cyberpunk2020

On 9/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, Bandy said:

Oh my, yet another steam whinge fest...  You are so into steam, yet don't know you can refund a game if played less than 2 hours??? 

There is no "exclusive" you can buy Outer Worlds at a variety of stores, try the publishers store in fact:  https://store.privatedivision.com/en_US and cut out all middle men, like epic or steam.

steam currently has a strangle hold on game distribution, taking a disproportionate cut of profits and disrespecting game developers, yet developers feel like they need to sell there to even have a chance.  These new digital game stores are finally emerging, and its about time developers have a choice where they can sell and can get more for their efforts.

Not to mention when you spend money on Steam you own nothing. They are charging full price for you to rent the game. Valve can cut your access at anytime. And even if you have spent thousands on games on steam, if your cut access to Steam, you lose access to all the games you've rented on their service. 

I wouldnt touch that rental service with a 10 foot pole. At least with Gamepass it's way cheaper. And we are told up front that you don't own the game. Valve have been conning PC gamers for years with their rental service made to look like a purchase service.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:43 PM, rustypup said:

We get it. Some folks, less rational or contemplative folks, think having 50 storefronts each with their own little parcel of exclusive product is a *good* idea. 

They would be absolutely entitled to this opinion. Completely wrong but entitled. 

Accepting exclusivity bribes is anti-consumer and any publisher playing this game will not, in any way, learn this unless we collectively act to hit them on their bottom line.

The success in the idiocy behind console platforms tells us this will *never* happen because the average consumer is not all that aware. 

Regardless, I say again. The correct channel through which we should voice our opinion is not ranting at each other on public forums.

It's simply choosing to not purchase. On any platform.  

Well said, i concur.

6 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Not to mention when you spend money on Steam you own nothing. They are charging full price for you to rent the game. Valve can cut your access at anytime. And even if you have spent thousands on games on steam, if your cut access to Steam, you lose access to all the games you've rented on their service. 

I wouldnt touch that rental service with a 10 foot pole. At least with Gamepass it's way cheaper. And we are told up front that you don't own the game. Valve have been conning PC gamers for years with their rental service made to look like a purchase service.

There are many games out there that work without the launcher when bought on steam (like: Pillars of Eternity 1, Pillars of Eternity 2 and many others dun dun duuuun.) Other than that we'll see what happens when more EU jurisprudence comes into play.

OW really looks like a nice game but it's going to be a pass for me.

If I could give Obsidian money directly and not use a launcher period I'd be immensely content. I'm left with very few options. GoG would be preferred, Humble DRM free would be equally nice since some would goto charity.

At this stage I'd honestly prefer to go back to having to drive to the store to get a box with a DVD/Bluray in it. Digital distribution was a mistake. I'm a stubborn person and truly dislike having to provide financial gain to things I despise just to get to things I like.

47 minutes ago, Hippiehacker said:

If I could give Obsidian money directly and not use a launcher period I'd be immensely content. I'm left with very few options. GoG would be preferred, Humble DRM free would be equally nice since some would goto charity.

At this stage I'd honestly prefer to go back to having to drive to the store to get a box with a DVD/Bluray in it. Digital distribution was a mistake. I'm a stubborn person and truly dislike having to provide financial gain to things I despise just to get to things I like.

Buying it on the Windows store would be a fairly direct gain for Obsidian, though, since they were bought by Microsoft.

Well, in my case, and for as much as i would like to play the game, i'm out of luck.

1. Purchasing a physical copy not being an option, my first choice would be to buy the game in GoG, but alas, we don't even know if ToW will be released in GoG at all.  
  2. Steam would be my choice after GoG (i prefer to avoid Steam if i can, but it has its uses). 
  3. The Microsoft store presents an interesting conundrum, as if i could i would probably purchase the game there, but my current computer (which is used by more persons than me) utilizes an archaic barebones versions of Windows 10 which doesn't support their app store, and i won't be able to switch the version any time soon. 
  4. The Epic store is not an option either. I won't get into the Steam vs Epic debate that much (apart from saying that i see it as a black vs grey morality situation), but, as a gamer and creator, i find their practices despicable (as well as very detrimental to the industry as a whole) and i will never utilize their store.

So now, my only real option is to wait a whole year for the game to come out to what (for me at least) is a sub-optimal platform. Thank you Private Division!

Damn do i miss the times in which we would simply buy a game in a store, install it, and play it.

Edited by Uburian

1 hour ago, Uburian said:

Damn do i miss the times in which we would simply buy a game in a store, install it, and play it.

I mean, assuming you had the right computer, floppy disk drive, video card, sound card, ram, OS, and ability to configure that stuff when the game didn't run. :p

On 9/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bandy said:

steam currently has a strangle hold on game distribution, taking a disproportionate cut of profits and disrespecting game developers, yet developers feel like they need to sell there to even have a chance.  These new digital game stores are finally emerging, and its about time developers have a choice where they can sell and can get more for their efforts.

Well, this might be the dumbest argument yet, congratulations.

So what you're saying is that by limiting player choice in choosing which platform to shop on, it's somehow giving developers more choice where they can sell their games? How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

Epic Games Store takes a smaller cut than Steam (12% vs 30%). This means Epic could have chosen to use pricing as an advantage for their store (they could sell the games cheaper while still giving publishers/developers as much money as Steam does). But instead they chose to keep (or even raise!) the prices for the end consumer (meaning you and me) and opted for limiting the options the consumer have (using exclusivity). Exclusivity is something that is completely delusional in the PC space and will only manage to increase pirating again.

No-one loves Steam just for being Steam, most of us just don't appreciate being bullied into choosing a platform to purchase from.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

15 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I mean, assuming you had the right computer, floppy disk drive, video card, sound card, ram, OS, and ability to configure that stuff when the game didn't run. :p

😆 The very first game i remember playing (more or less, as i was 5-6 at the time) was a version of Prince of Persia recorded on magnetic cassette tapes, and you had to rewind the tape each time if you died. The damn thing got stuck more times that i would like to remember. Things got a little better after that, for a while at least.

In any case, having utilized mostly Macintosh computers until late 2011, I'm used to waiting for the games I want to play.

• Like 2