The Outer Worlds won't Launch on Steam pt 2

$1- no typo, and 1 NZ dollar even- seems pretty cheap and significantly cheaper than it would ever be on steam.

(MS Game pass, currently $1/ month in New Zealand. And I thought Origin Access was good value. People may cry buckets about subscription services- well, with one prominent exception that gets a pass for anything for some- but you can't beat them for their value proposition. Even if it's $1 month for a years subscription that's still extremely cheap.)

5 hours ago, 213374U said:

If that were a frequent occurrence, G2A and Kinguin's reputation among even unscrupulous buyers would tank by word of mouth, one would think. Who would purchase from them if you had a coin-toss chance of getting a bad key or the game could be randomly removed from your catalog?

It certainly happens. I personally remember this particural situation which brought my attention to G2As nature:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-26-it-looks-like-ubisoft-is-going-after-third-party-key-sellers

21 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

While the sites themselves claim plausible deniability in the sourcing of the keys, participating in such marketplaces often serves to enable money laundering more than helping that one user that somehow accidentally has an "extra key" for a game they purchased.

so what? EGS is the same when talking about "money laundering". G2A is my one stop for this one just because at least I could redeem keys there in the microsoft store. If private division just provides keys for EGS I WON'T EVEN TOUCH IT WITH A 10FT POLE

13 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

It happens often enough.  Heck, G2A even offers optional "insurance" for when that totally 100% legitimate key you're buying doesn't work, or mysteriously gets revoked in the future.

From what I recall, the financial end of a chargeback is automated once the bank initiates, but key revocation still falls on the developer/publisher.  There's some intervention required to match bogus sales to the associated keys (in some cases it may not even be possible).  Those who use sites like this are taking a bet that the key is authentic, and if it's not, that maybe the publisher doesn't have the resources to follow up on fraudulent sales.

10 hours ago, Wormerine said:

It certainly happens. I personally remember this particural situation which brought my attention to G2As nature:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-26-it-looks-like-ubisoft-is-going-after-third-party-key-sellers

Yes, I remember that. I also remember that Ubisoft provided zero proof that the removed keys were obtained via credit card fraud -- they just put out a statement that said the affected keys had been obtained generically "fraudulently" and that was that.

I have no doubt that keys purchased with stolen credit cards are sold on those websites. What I am not so sure is that they are a majority or even a significant fraction, as the constant chargebacks would make operating such a business difficult, at best. Not to mention, the threat of law enforcement intervention at some point if sufficient complaints from consumers or publishers were filed that it's mostly an outlet for stolen goods. The fact that G2A offers insurance is proof of nothing by itself. Amazon does too for stuff bought from their marketplace, but that doesn't make it the internet's biggest fence.

I agree, though, that purchasing a key from a reseller site is a bit of a gamble. The same can be said of the likes of eBay.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

13 hours ago, Koar said:

I could care less if this game was available on Steam. I just wish it was priced a little cheaper since they wont have to pay Steam a percentage...or at least give me a promo code....been an Obsidian fan ever since Baulders Gate......That 6 pack disk set was awesome. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Koar said:

I just wish it was priced a little cheaper since they wont have to pay Steam a percentage.

HAHAHAHA, you must be new here. And by "here", I mean, "the world". When companies get higher profits they don't spread the newfound margins among the consumers (or the employees, for that matter), they just bump up the bonuses to executives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBento said:

HAHAHAHA, you must be new here. And by "here", I mean, "the world". When companies get higher profits they don't spread the newfound margins among the consumers (or the employees, for that matter), they just bump up the bonuses to executives.

You mean shareholders. Excecutives will only get a meager bonus. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's a bummer for me then.

One thing I dislike is that every company and their moms want to have a digital distribution platform. Epic Store, Origin, Ubicrap, Steam, Discord Store, GOG Galaxy etc. Personally, I refuse to have so much needless crap installed on my PC. I only have Steam and GOG. This isn't going to change anytime soon for aforementioned reason.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Killyox said:

That's a bummer for me then.

One thing I dislike is that every company and their moms want to have a digital distribution platform. Epic Store, Origin, Ubicrap, Steam, Discord Store, GOG Galaxy etc. Personally, I refuse to have so much needless crap installed on my PC. I only have Steam and GOG. This isn't going to change anytime soon for aforementioned reason.

I hope you're not into video streaming services...

Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOWTV, Disney +, Disney ++, Apple Streaming, Disney +-. Disney +++, Disney Kids +, CBS All Access, BBQ All Access, WTF + etc...

Edited by daven

nowt

1 minute ago, daven said:

I hope you're not into video streaming services...

Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOWTV, Disney +, Disney ++, Apple Streaming, Disney +-. Disney +++, Disney Kids +, CBS All Access, BBQ All Access, WTF + etc...

I only use Netflix thus far. Not about to change as well. I am fine paying for one sub.

Also apples to oranges.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

15 hours ago, Killyox said:

Personally, I refuse to have so much needless crap installed on my PC. I only have Steam and GOG. This isn't going to change anytime soon for aforementioned reason.

Good news!  If you have Windows 10, you can just buy The Outer Worlds through the the Microsoft Store app which is probably already on your PC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Killyox said:

I only use Netflix thus far. Not about to change as well. I am fine paying for one sub.

Also apples to oranges.

You are missing out on so much how do you not have HBO!!!!  Do you not have FOMO at all .... ;)  Honest though no HBO????

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

14 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Good news!  If you have Windows 10, you can just buy The Outer Worlds through the the Microsoft Store app which is probably already on your PC.

Can confirm

TOW.JPG

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:20 AM, Killyox said:

Also apples to oranges.

Not quite sure how it would be apples to oranges. More like Granny Smith Apples to Fuji Apples. I mean, they are all just content delivery platforms with various pros and cons, and content.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Not quite sure how it would be apples to oranges. More like Granny Smith Apples to Fuji Apples. I mean, they are all just content delivery platforms with various pros and cons, and content.

I mean, the EGS has no pros. It does have a truckload of cons to make up for that, though.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JBento said:

I mean, the EGS has no pros. It does have a truckload of cons to make up for that, though.

That's just an opinion. They are giving out free games like candy. I got the entire Batman Arkham and Lego Batman collection the other day when I did my once a month log in. Someday I may even play them. 

It's just a game launcher. It plays games. Just like every other launcher.  :shrugz:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It's just a game launcher. It plays games. Just like every other launcher.  :shrugz:

Agreed.  It does the job, and has a pretty comprehensive roadmap for the future.  While it may not be as feature-complete as other storefronts, I still haven't encountered the "truckload of cons" that has been claimed.  Much of the hate seems based on how the storefront worked well over a year ago, or a handful of rumors that the launcher is secretly spyware for one reason or another.  

Nintendo's eShop also doesn't have a shopping cart, consumer reviews, hassle-free returns, or community forums, yet it barely gets any of the grief that EGS does.  🤷

• Like 1

People get too bent out of shape about these things.  My first thought is, "Why shouldn't shareholders reap the benefit of their investments?"  Of course, they need to provide something that at someone values enough to purchase.  Subscription services are useful if the people who use them find value in them.  I'm not defending companies and executives based on morality.  I'm merely saying that the model has worked fabulously well.  To wit, we're hear arguing about whether or not we're going to spend money on subscription services.  That's a model that's working as it should.  Some people won't want to pay for a subscription and will instead purchase the game outright.  Others will see sufficient reason to pay for a subscription.  Some people will pre-order, even though that will entail at least some level of blind trust while others will wait for release and reviews.  ...And, if you hate how companies operation, I would suggest your ire isn't with the companies but instead should be directed at the consumer base that allows the companies to exist.  Now, if there's fraud or theft or some other such involved, go after the bastards.  By all means.

Anyhow, the real reason I'm posting is because I really get a kick out the Weird Al video someone posted up top.  Don't get me wrong.  I make grammatical mistakes all of the time, but I literally get such a kick out of the video I still enjoy it.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

20 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

People get too bent out of shape about these things.  My first thought is, "Why shouldn't shareholders reap the benefit of their investments?"  Of course, they need to provide something that at someone values enough to purchase.  Subscription services are useful if the people who use them find value in them.  I'm not defending companies and executives based on morality.  I'm merely saying that the model has worked fabulously well.  To wit, we're hear arguing about whether or not we're going to spend money on subscription services.  That's a model that's working as it should.  Some people won't want to pay for a subscription and will instead purchase the game outright.  Others will see sufficient reason to pay for a subscription.  Some people will pre-order, even though that will entail at least some level of blind trust while others will wait for release and reviews.  ...And, if you hate how companies operation, I would suggest your ire isn't with the companies but instead should be directed at the consumer base that allows the companies to exist.  Now, if there's fraud or theft or some other such involved, go after the bastards.  By all means.

Anyhow, the real reason I'm posting is because I really get a kick out the Weird Al video someone posted up top.  Don't get me wrong.  I make grammatical mistakes all of the time, but I literally get such a kick out of the video I still enjoy it.

thought you did it because the guy got confused with the forum colours. He talked about Bioware games, not Obsidian