TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You beat me to it!

Hey Shady is right about a lot of things. His choice in Star Trek captains is one of them! Sisko was the most interesting because he wasn't perfect.

And in Sisko you got to see a side of him outside his job. His relationship with his son was wonderfully portrayed ... that you could be very successful captain while also being a great dad.

I didn't mind e3 all that much - wasn't written as horrible as e2. And it didn't have these weird pseudo-art scenes with Picard visible in the window of a clock for no reason or something.

Actually I like the borg cube idea. But that's pretty much it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 2/8/2020 at 7:02 AM, 213374U said:

Writers exploring the darker edges of the world Roddenberry imagined is something that happened during Roddenberry's life. I may have mentioned this before, but Roddenberry reportedly hated the plot of Star Trek 6. Honestly I believe Trek is richer for it, because his ideas were a bit overbearing. Plausible only perhaps in a world where individualism has been completely purged, and that makes for a pretty boring setting for, ultimately, character-driven stories.

What I'm not so sure is that going full grimdark because that's what (marketing studies suggest?) appeals to modern sensibilities, decades of world-building be damned, makes for a better product. Hell, I'd even be down for a mirror universe show, if they could write it well, because at the end of the day, it would be the mirror universe. But why bother with writing when you can pow and boom and ooh and ahh, and INSTANT SLAM DUNK ELEVENTY BILLION DOLLARS AT THE BOX OFFICE.

Mass marketing is a blight.

Has nothing to do with darker stories. I think Star Trek can support that. I think the problem lies in modern creators being cynical about the underlying principals of Starfleet. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It would kind of be nice to see Starfleet Intelligence turn up and not to be shady, running counter to Federation rules, and not having half-corrupt Starfleet officers involved.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 2/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, Guard Dog said:

Sisko was the most interesting because he wasn't perfect.

Star Trek was built on an idealistic vision of the future. If there is one character (and/or captain) who manages to fully capture that enlightened ideal behind Star Trek, it is Picard.

Picard is better. Fight me.

49 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Star Trek was built on an idealistic vision of the future. If there is one character (and/or captain) who manages to fully capture that enlightened ideal behind Star Trek, it is Picard.

Picard is better. Fight me.

Image result for sisko punches q gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

^ and Q moved on to Voyager after that

Pickerd is my number 2 but he's not number 2

Voyager does not have many episodes in the "top ten" list of all the series. But it does have one and it was excellent. Season 2 "Death Wish". And it was a Q episode.

And it gave us this moment

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell