TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

First episode I saw of EVIL was the fourth, which I thought was really good.  I then saw 2 which was okay.  Then I saw 1 and 3 and my interest in the series chilled.  Haven't seen any others.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finally caught the last episode of the first season of The Mandalorian.

So Gustavo Fring's got the Dark Saber and survives a ridiculous crash, Baby Yoda continues to be a fount of wondrous force power and just to show that Din Djarin (oh boy, he really should've stayed nameless) had some measure of character growth IG-11 blows himself up to kill less stormtroopers than he single-handedly and with ease took out earlier in the episode - not to mention the mercenaries from the first episode - because he won't see daylight fighting them?

Sure. That was... convincing. And not at all a terrible way to end an otherwise decent episode.

Idle speculation,  could Mandalore the Great be the current Disney canon's version of Mandalore the Ultimate? Will it actually matter in the next season? Do I really care? Questions, questions...

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

have been watching giri/haji on netflix.  is a bit self-indulgent with shakespeare levels o' DRAMA, but is both well acted and directed even if rare does twenty minutes elapse w/o somebody crying.  am unfamiliar with pretty much all o' the asian actors in the show, but for the most part they are excellent. 

won't spoil, but will note am gonna watch entire season 1 (eight episodes) w/i a few days time, which is unusual for us.

side note:

one thing which always bothers us 'bout bbc cop shows and crime dramas is how the london cops is almost universally inept, with maybe one or two super cop exceptions. based on watching bbc, one would come to the conclusion the bulk o' uk detectives/inspectors are better suited to working at a furniture consignment store as 'posed to investigating crime. 

curiously with US movies and tv, local cops can be competent, but fbi agents who are not arrogant buffoons is exceptions. 

am suspecting there is a cultural significance to the differences in portrayal o' US and UK cops, but am not curious enough to divine causes or meanings.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Binge re-watching Cheers on NetFlix. That show was brilliant. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Infinity Train. First season had a lot of hype for it, but I only thought it was solid at best. Second season came out last week and I honestly wasn't sure I was going to watch, but a friend pushed me to and I was glad they did - marked improvement over the first season in a lot of ways. The "new" protagonist (who I was not sold on whatsoever) was awesome and a huge part of why I liked S2 a lot more, in addition to the season just being more consistent, fun, and interesting.

firefox_2020-01-18_11-34-25.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Doing the same but at a super slow pace as my wife doesn't care for the show

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/04ffb743-17d9-4aa9-b12c-537dafca1a0d#rJY8NIGZZL.copy

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just finished Dolemite is My Name and it was the best thing I've seen in a long while. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Rudy Ray Moore movies and listening to his albums but my wife really enjoyed it too so maybe not.

Thanks to Hurlshot for the recommendation!

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

BBC America is doing a complete run of ST:DS9, something like 18 episodes each Monday and Tuesday beginning 6 am tomorrow. I've got my DVR set to record, though I'm concerned I won't have the time to watch them before I run out of recording space.

• Like 2

The Outsider, eps. 3.

A chr. named Holly was introduced. She immediately is interesting and can't wait to see more of her chr/actress.  The show is still glacial-paced. Also, it's one of those shows that is very grey and dark - literally. Some scenes are lit just fine but there's a lot where I kept raising brightness/contrast higher than I usually would so I could see **** better. At least with Amazon Prime/HBO-sub method.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Work meeting drained my soul so decided to re-watch the Battletech TV show at work. Ah, it's worse than I remember

Still, catchy theme song and had a fantastic ending as the freebirth Steiner forgot how bidding works. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watched season 2 of Titans since it's on Netflix now, and I cannot say I was at all impressed. The ending to the Trigon storyline was facile, the season and individual episode story was disjointed and illogical and its ending was even more facile and had a random death which I'm sure was meant to be poignant but instead came across as an incredibly cheap way to try and illicit an emotional response in an episode which was otherwise a trite series of goods triumphing over evils and a season which otherwise was CW level random drama for the sake of drama.

Started the second season of Sex Education. I liked the first one for the most part, except for the very end when it crossed from interesting into teenage sex comedy with awkward drama territory, i.e. it became something I generally detest. Well, the opening episode of season 2 didn't help. Talk about a nosedive.

Edited by majestic

I'm watching some Another Life just in the vague hope there's something worthwhile in it. I hate everyone in it.

Apparently a second season has been greenlit.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saw a review on YouTube about Another Life and that killed all interest I had in the show. Better not to waste any time with it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I enjoyed Picard more than I thought I would after hearing all the rumors about it. Really looking forward to this series now and I hope that doesn't then ruin my enjoyment.

Another Life was awful. I couldn't get more than a handful of episodes in as it's kind of a miserable experience ...and I'm not doing so well in life that I need misery for entertainment.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I enjoyed Picard more than I thought I would after hearing all the rumors about it. Really looking forward to this series now and I hope that doesn't then ruin my enjoyment.

Seconded. That was much better than expected. The premise for the show is still silly, but I've griped about that in the past and it is what Star Trek writers have to work with thanks to Jar Jar's, Orci's and Kurtzman's inane idea of how space works.

And the Federation is still a terrible plot device to use to reflect upon today's refugee problems, but after Nu-Trek and Discovery I'm almost content with appreciating the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Skazz said:

To all of you people who have already watched Picard:

This may be a dumb question, but... is it slow and wordy?

Not in a bad sense, mind. It's just something I've always associated with and loved in Star Trek.

Yeah! It has a lot of words. The best words. It has slow sequences, where many words are exchanged. Do those words make any sense? Who cares, here, have some fan service and POW! BANG! BIFF! not Mary Sue here has some moves straight out of the Matrix. It wouldn't be a Kurtzman show without a needless plot twist but before you can think too long on that watch the introduction of this really foreboding plot device that promises to outdo the signals from the future from DIS in the scope of its stupidity. By the way, did you know Picard likes Earl Grey tea? Like, he really ****ing digs that ****. In fact, I believe his diet is now comprised of 1,000% Earl Grey, hot.

I guess "Star Trek" is just not for me anymore. Not judging anyone who enjoys this, of course. Don't want to ruin it for everyone else so just chalk this comment up to the Russian troll farm or whatever.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

^Maybe you didn't come in with low enough expectations? 

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

To all of you people who have already watched Picard:

This may be a dumb question, but... is it slow and wordy?

Not in a bad sense, mind. It's just something I've always associated with and loved in Star Trek.

I wouldn't really call it that but by comparison to STD, yes.

But this is just going by one episode

• Sad 1

I'm torn on it. On the one hand it doesn't have a mushroom drive that makes your space ship flip in position and teleport to god knows where. On the other hand... 213374U kinda points it out.

So far I'm also at "huh, better than expected", but I can already feel the stupid. I bet you there will be the same old super-people who can do everything and there will be lots of cringe. If not from Picard himself, then his younger surrounding cast that will carry all the action sequences. I really want this to be good, but Kurtzman ... urgh.

Now I'm wondering if and when we are getting The Orville season 3.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."