TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Tried to watch the 1st episode of The Witcher. I'll agree Cavill fits the role/does a decent job but even from the very start action sequence I felt like I was watching SyFy or CW but with even less budget. Nothing wrong with that if the show is good overall (hey I still watch ST:OS right) but for me the pacing was a bit off and much of the dialogue and other actors felt rather stilted/shallow. There's nothing extremely "wrong" but things just feel a little off somewhere. I'll try to watch more later ... I've heard the last few episodes "get better".

This is from someone who hasn't played the games (outside of an hour or two of TW3) nor read the novels, tho.

Boy the siege and battle scene was terrible. Everyone just flailing away at each other with no plan. At one point they run up to the castle gates with the apparent plan of standing in a big blob staring at while being attacked from above. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Tried to watch the 1st episode of The Witcher. I'll agree Cavill fits the role/does a decent job but even from the very start action sequence I felt like I was watching SyFy or CW but with even less budget. Nothing wrong with that if the show is good overall (hey I still watch ST:OS right) but for me the pacing was a bit off and much of the dialogue and other actors felt rather stilted/shallow. There's nothing extremely "wrong" but things just feel a little off somewhere. I'll try to watch more later ... I've heard the last few episodes "get better".

This is from someone who hasn't played the games (outside of an hour or two of TW3) nor read the novels, tho.

Boy the siege and battle scene was terrible. Everyone just flailing away at each other with no plan. At one point they run up to the castle gates with the apparent plan of standing in a big blob staring at while being attacked from above. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Boy the siege battle scene!

I'm in ep5 now and I really like it. However, I agree that it is cutting the stories way too short. Reading the books first feels mandatory here.

Also yeah, the show is jumping from really cool to... questionable sometimes from scene to scene. It's weird, but I don't hold much a grudge against it. Actually pretty happy they announced season 2 already.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just finished it. I like it. Pacing was too fast, though... Should have made it 10 episodes instead of just 8, imo. Lots of events that I thought to be important details were skipped past quickly. In a way it feels very americanized - everything goes fast, because we cannot risk to bore the audience? I dunno... really wish it would have slowed down at times. Just let the story breath, god damnit.

However, what was shown was pretty close to the books, which I liked a lot. Now same as with the Expanse - gotta wait another year for more, ugh.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't know why, but I really didn't like the tv-series, might be the jumping in time, I loved many parts of it, especially the music but the rest felt pretty mediocre. And as Sharp One sort of pointed out, I really miss some parts.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, Lexx said:

Boy the siege battle scene!

I'm in ep5 now and I really like it. However, I agree that it is cutting the stories way too short. Reading the books first feels mandatory here.

Also yeah, the show is jumping from really cool to... questionable sometimes from scene to scene. It's weird, but I don't hold much a grudge against it. Actually pretty happy they announced season 2 already.

As Gorgon pointed out(Many, many, many, many times in fact :p) that Siege was the single biggest dissapointment for me, not to mention the Nilfgaardians armour.

Actually, Sharp Ones writeup is pretty accurate I feel.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have also started on the Witcher, episode 1 and I am enjoying it so far. I could criticize parts of the story if I made direct comparisons to the grand saga of the game but I am not going too do that as I want to judge the series on the fact its a TV adaption...so Im looking forward to how it unfolds :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

if I made direct comparisons to the grand saga of the game

Well that would be a bad comparison anways, because the games are all set after the books.

Personally I think Triss wasn't well cast. Also I'm still unsure about Yen... it's not that the actress was bad, but it just didn't had *the* impact that I would have wanted from Yen.

Edited by Lexx

23 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well that would be a bad comparison anways, because the games are all set after the books.

Personally I think Triss wasn't well cast. Also I'm still unsure about Yen... it's not that the actress was bad, but it just didn't had *the* impact that I would have wanted from Yen.

I hear you but I havent read the books so I can only realistically compare the series to the general narrative of the excellent games 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 12/21/2019 at 3:17 AM, Gorgon said:

Wtf is up with my internet

rofl

Spammer! Ban thyself!

:lol:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

The bard is without doubt the best cast of them all :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

In the first moment I didn't felt like that, but he was quickly growing on me. Also big fan of the dwarfs. Shame there wasn't more of them.

Damn, I really want more episodes now. So hyped.

Remember when lots of folks hated on Henry when he was announced as Geralt? lel. I don't want to imagine anyone else doing the role.

/Edit: Oh I just remember... what was weird as hell and felt like pushing an agenda again... all the random black people showing up. It's like "oh damn, there's too many white folks around! Quick! Make this guard a black dude!" ....... And I can't shake off the feeling that because of the early backlash against a potential black Yen (or was it Ciri?), now Fringilla became a black person. This stuff feels just so damn forced to me.

Always kinda reminds me of old 80/90s tv shows where there always was at least one black person, because there just had to. Isn't this also, like, a form of racism?

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

Yarpen Zigrin is well done, love him :)

Henry does a good enough job, but the sorceresses don't really impress me. De Vries is well good enough I suppose. Yen's actress could've been much better, her looks are quite alright, but her performance is less impressive.

I do really like the games most of all though since that is where I started, in episode 3;

the fact that the Striga fight could've been copied from the first Witcher game, and this is the only moment in the series where I got legitimately hyped, but I'm like that

;)

The biggest issue for me is that all the added backstory to Yen and Ciri strips away the dialogue and the side-characters from Geralt's short stories. I think they would've been wiser to start off with 3-4 (edit: episodes) solely focused on Geralt before properly introducing the other two.

Overall though I'm quite hyped for the next season. Especially if they get a bigget budget. Some of the cgi stuff was quite bad.

Edited by Maedhros

Watched a 2nd episode of The Witcher. I just can't get into it. Again, it's not terrible/don't hate it. Just doesn't do anything for me and half the time I feel like I have no idea what's going on/why I should care. Whether this is because I miss a word or sentence here and there or because I'm not familiar with the "world" I don't know.

Lost in Space is available now tho, so I'll be spending the next days/week watching that instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched a couple episodes of The Mandalorian with my daughter and it seems like good fun. I also watched The World According to Jeff Goldblum and it is as strange as I expected. I mean, it's a bit off in parts, but I'm still enjoying his kookiness.

• Like 2

I rewatched the Season 1 of the Witcher. I definitely liked it better the 2nd time through. I caught a lot more of the details and nuances and there really are a lot to catch. The fact the the Geralt, Yennifer, & Ciri story lines are happening years apart from each other until they converge was not readily apparent to me. Even though I knew they were because I read the Last Wish years ago. But if you really pay attention to the events and dialogue it does become apparent. The other thing the had me puzzled is the show is, by design, telling an incomplete story. I think it was between episodes 5 & 6 you get the impression they cover consecutive time periods but if you pay attention you hear 2 years or more passed in between them with events that happened that you now of to catch up on. 

So, my advice to anyone, particularly if you care coming in cold having not read the books nor played the games, is PAY ATTENTION. The story is really pretty good but the devil is the details and the details tie it all together.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've watched the first two episodes of TVWitcher and I like it so far well enough. Pacing definitely feels off- it alternates between feeling slow and far too rushed- plus some of the minor acting and set pieces really do feel rather Xenaish. I also don't like Cavill's "witcher voice" for some reason. But, it has the right feel and Jaskier is top notch.

Knowing that the chronology is all over the place helps a fair bit as well, though I would certainly have guessed that it was from playing the games.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, BruceVC said:

I have also started on the Witcher, episode 1 and I am enjoying it so far. I could criticize parts of the story if I made direct comparisons to the grand saga of the game but I am not going too do that as I want to judge the series on the fact its a TV adaption...so Im looking forward to how it unfolds :thumbsup:

I just  finished the entire first season of the Witcher and it really grows on you, I am very keen for the next season

I didnt enjoy how the timelines seemed to jump around the place and in the beginning this confused me, they should have maybe put some dates in so viewers are aware certain events occurred in the past but my uncertainty was probably due to me not paying attention enough to characters and there journey in the broader narrative ....but this is a small criticism once you get to understand the story 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton