TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

One of my friends is currently watching it, and seems to be only in it for the baby Yoda memes. He says the show is okay at best, but he's just got to see baby Yoda.

????? kill me

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, algroth said:

And released on a weekly basis. Seriously, Disney, it's not 1997 anymore.

I could see twice a week at minimum. Once a week isn't something I'd want to do in this day and age if you want to convince ppl to spend money vs. free streaming tv. Also, I was expecting it to have 40-42ish minutes at least, like an AMC series after cutting out a zillion ads. 20-25min is comedy sitcom level. I haven't seen it yet, maybe it plays like a sitcom? :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's the "monster of the week"-episode format.

Generally not bad, but the story suffers from the little exposure of characters. Remember the first season only has 8 episodes and we are already in episode 5(!) and so far not much noticeable happened since ep2.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ep. 5 is outright embarrassing. Talk about tonal whiplash - the amount of cutesy **** added on top and between the grimmer imagery makes George Lucas' special editions measured in comparison. There's a sequence where we jump from broad comic relief in the shape of a spaceship mechanic and her droids, to an industrial variation of the main theme and Mando finding the heads of Startroopers stuck on pikes, then straight back to comic relief replete with cutesy bouncy music for good measure, all in the span of thirty seconds.

Also, REMEMBER TATOOINE?!?! REMEMBER THE MOS EISLEY CANTEEN?!?! I CLAPPED WHEN SOME GUY SAT DOWN JUST LIKE HAN SOLO, BUT IT WASN'T HAN!

IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!! Jesus ****ing Christ...

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Week to week releases are probably going to be more common on streaming platforms as there get to be more streaming platforms. They will want you to stay signed up continuously, but there will only be so much you'll want to watch and so much money to spend on services overall. If you have to watch The Mandalorian week to week Disney will get three months (or whatever) minimum of subs from you; if they drop all the eps at once they'll get one.

I'll probably get PrimeVideo* for The Expanse next year, watch The Boys and maybe The Back Episodes of The Grand Tour; then cancel it after a month. Depending on what intro offers they have at the time it might not even cost me a cent to do so. OTOH, weekly releases and I'd have to be subbed for 3 months, and at that point I might as well take advantage of their 6 month promo offer which is like getting 3 extra months for free...

*We don't have an NZ native Amazon, so there's no bundling with Prime itself unless you have lots of relatives overseas.

My plan was to sub when the whole thing was out but since I got that D23 discount plan that went out the window. 

Haven't bothered with the latest episode yet, maybe I'll hold off until the rest is out but so far Disney plus has been a bust for me. I've only watched the Randolorian and a couple episodes of Jeff Goldblum being weird.

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 12/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, Zoraptor said:

Week to week releases are probably going to be more common on streaming platforms as there get to be more streaming platforms.

I'd agree. Netflix is already utilizing/showing the S. Korea evening drama format of two episodes a week (vs. waiting to put them up all at once). As well as separating a single season into 2 "seasons" sometimes (making you wait 3-6 months for the final half). I don't mind the 2 episodes a week concept in this case tho because otherwise I'd have to wait maybe a year before I could see it at all and it's nice to be able to not have to avoid spoilers for so long. But those are 50-55min. episodes. And you can still wait until they're all up before watching, if you wish.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In preparation of The Expanse s4 coming at the end of this week I've started watching the last 7 episodes of s3 again (so I can time it exactly with the start of s4 \o/ ).

I kinda expected to doze off in-between, as I have seen s3 twice already, but to my surprise it still hooks me hard. It still excites me, even though I know exactly what happens. Guess this is a pretty clear indicator that The Expanse is - to me - the best show I've seen in years. There aren't many that I can easily rewatch and totally get into again like that.

PS: I HATE weekly releases. It's a pain in the arse. Heck, I'd be fine with 1 episode each day, but waiting from week to week really pulls me out and annoys me more than anything else. This crap worked back in the days with monster-of-the-week episodes, but it fails hard with continuous storylines and cliffhanger-episodes. I still remember how much I was angry at Battlestar Galactica back in the days, because it was the first show I've experienced this with. You're really getting into that episode, it gets to the high-point and.... done. Please wait another week to continue. Then once you start the new episode, you're completely out of hype and everything feels mood. Rinse and repeat. Ugh.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

^ Oh yeah, having to wait a week always sucks, but as I said, at least these days for streaming first-run shows you can (usually) just wait a month or three and watch them all at once, vs. those old days (or current ad-networks/non-streaming shows) where if you missed it, you missed it until it was in syndication, if it got syndicated at all.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I watched them, but then I realized that it might be a tad too many spoilers. Seems they really cranking up the hype machine now. Better not to watch any more trailers, imo.

Lost in Space season 2. Watched the two trailers via YouTube (I'd link but they never embed for me)

Trailer 1 - meditative, reflective - my reaction, "ok, this might be good."
Trailer 2 - slam bang action - my reaction, "Michael Bay in Space?"

I mostly want to see robot's arc and to find out if they were able to turn Ms. Smith into an actually interesting chr. with a bit of depth vs. over the top annoyance. It's still funny how the 1st season, I wanted to turn it off for 30 minutes but then it became pretty fun.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Lost in Space. I don't recall it committing any cinema sins, it also wasn't anything to write home about, but has promise. It's a refreshing take on sci-fi for our age, particularly given it's focus on family. Most human values grew up in an area where it was family vs nature, and this is a modern take on circumstances that reinforces that same fight for provision and raising the next generation. Most families in modern shows are either in the lap of luxury or just vehicles for laughs. So it's nice seeing principle adults, both mom and dad, acting as a formidable and admirable couple/team. You don't see that often.

AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's  AT-ST's

• Like 2

Oddly enough, this right here is a great breakdown of why The Mandalorian fails as well, from an aesthetic standpoint. It too suffers from a really drab grey palette, of an unengaging protagonist who's made less interesting by the fact that his face is concealed behind a static helmet and his body language is hardly ever emphasized through the framing or performance, of the general conflict between the cartoonish and the "realistic" throughout, and so on. Quite an interesting watch.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

This week's Mandalorian episode can serve as a pretty decent showcase for various issues and a decent thing (no, really). First of all, Bill Burr as mercenary guest star making meta-fun at both Stormtrooper accuracy and Gungans? Thanks, but no thanks. That's so distracting it killed by suspension of disbelief (and that's somewhat hard to do).

Secondly, what's up with those terrible Twi'Lek costumes? Fan clubs have higher standards than that. Jeez.

On the other hand the ending of the episode shows that you can set something in the Star Wars universe, whip out a flight of X-Wings and not have it be pandering fanservice. How? It just needs to make sense in-universe.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I still think the Mandalorian half the time looks like a fan-movie. The short episodes, the way stuff is cut, the .... quality of the acting at times. It just feels to me like something you watch on youtube (except for the better cgi budget).

It started out pretty well, but now I'm getting a little bit tired of it. There's only a few episodes left, but barely any real story progression so far? Bet this season will end in an annoying cliff-hanger.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

I still think the Mandalorian half the time looks like a fan-movie. The short episodes, the way stuff is cut, the .... quality of the acting at times. It just feels to me like something you watch on youtube.

Are any modern works of Star Wars not fan-works?