TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

great to see Wil find some healing ... he and I are within months in age and so saw myself as Wes aboard the bridge ...

would love to do the same; have not actually watched DS9 since it went off the air ... 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

good episode. thank you aron eisenberg.

"have not actually watched DS9 since it went off the air."

w/o more than a moment to reflect 'pon specific episodes, in the pale moonlight and the visitor is getting relative frequent rewatches from us.  am knowing ds9 were less in line with the roddenberry ideal than were previous series, but am thinking that were a strength as 'posed to a weakness. weren't fundamental superior for ds9 to be a bit more cynical 'bout the future, but am thinking the possibility for tonal difference made the franchise as a whole stronger. 

every star trek series, no matter how weak or strong, had at least a few fantastic episodes and Gromnir is more likely to pick individual gems than to try and marathon entire series. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

given our a la carte viewing o' star trek episodes, netflix makes sense.  breaking out all the disks, for all the seasons, and all the series is tedious when am likely to only watch a couple episodes from an individual season. also, as you note, there ain't no remaster for ds9 available in any case.

tomorrow am gonna need watch it's only a paper moon. probably will watch the visitor and in the pale moonlight as well. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We did Trials and Tribble-ations and Far Beyond the Stars to win over our converts. This was mostly just playing to the audience's sensibilities and I was trying to sell them on Sisko more than the show itself.

Netflix for us too. I used to have all the seasons on DVD but they got swiped a long time ago. We do skip some episodes occasionally and Move Along Home always but we generally watch most of a season and it takes us months to get through the whole show.

Now if only I can get around to watching the last episode of Elementary. I think part of what's holding me back is that I can imagine how the show could tie everything up satisfactorily in only one episode.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

^  Trailer looks moderately promising and while I can't say how much I'll like it or not for sure, at the least I *am* sure I'd like it a lot more than that Tom Cruise film.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 9/29/2019 at 10:27 AM, ShadySands said:

We do skip some episodes occasionally and Move Along Home always but we generally watch most of a season and it takes us months to get through the whole show.

Final shap! *skip* :yes:

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

^  Trailer looks moderately promising and while I can't say how much I'll like it or not for sure, at the least I *am* sure I'd like it a lot more than that Tom Cruise film.

there was a decent movie in there somewhere, but were baffling self-sabotage. for example, am not sure what the purpose o' the daughter were. she starts out movie as an utter helpless waif who needs protection. same at end. her purpose in the film, as far as we can tell, is to add tension 'cause at any moment she may scream and reveal the family's location when they is trying to hide. anything else? after son leaves (that whole scene is bizarre, so don't even get us started,) she is is the thing tom needs be heroic for, so, there is that... maybe?

tim robbins and the son? am not gonna get into how terribad both those characters were. 

sure, the tom cruise run has become a joke, but this were a beautiful filmed movie... at times. it were evocative and menacing. ok, but what else? the characters... am honest not certain what were the point o' the family in spielberg's war of the worlds in spite o' fact they were clear central.

HA! Good Fun!

^ Those were probably my main complaints re: the film as well. That all said I didn't hate the movie - the first 1/3 was entertaining enough and the rest was enough to keep me watching, even as I huffed and snorted along the way. It didn't really feel like War of the Worlds to me either ... just another loud Hollywood alien movie. I'd rather watch the 1953 film again instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 9/29/2019 at 1:27 AM, ShadySands said:

Now if only I can get around to watching the last episode of Elementary. I think part of what's holding me back is that I can imagine how the show could tie everything up satisfactorily in only one episode.

was satisfying personally

will miss Joan's outfits, week after stylish week, Jonny Lee Miller's delivery, Marcus' fidelity to friends and neckties, the brownstone, Denethor, and on and on ...

All Stop. On Screen.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:07 AM, ShadySands said:

They need to look back at what made season 1 great. The last season was a mess. I really disliked how they balanced humor and horror, it always felt out of place to me. The showmakers went way too far on making the characters unrealistically quirky and snappy all the time. It felt like they were trying to force laughs out of every situation - which doesn't work too well in a horror show.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maedhros said:

They need to look back at what made season 1 great. The last season was a mess. I really disliked how they balanced humor and horror, it always felt out of place to me. The showmakers went way too far on making the characters unrealistically quirky and snappy all the time. It felt like they were trying to force laughs out of every situation - which doesn't work too well in a horror show.

Season one of Stranger Things was most likely a lightning in a bottle situation. To be honest that the second and third seasons were as good as they are is an achievement in itself - especially since they recycled the plot of the first twice. The attempts at humor didn't bother me so much as the constant balancing on the edge of suspension of disbelief. Even for a show with extradimensional aliens and psychic powers season three tried its damndest to be somewhat... unrealistic.

• Like 2

thanks to six-degree of separation stuff, and recognizing just how much star trek content there has been over the past decades (heck, dwayne johnson was in tng,) every post on these boards could be somehow linked to star trek.

climate change?

The Inner Light

admitted trump reminds us more o' a hutt from star wars, but analogize to a fat ferrengi works... not to mention fact he were in movies like eddie and zoolander, movies with large cameo casts.

and heck, is even more obvious links
Trump Supporters Are Confusing LeVar Burton With LaVar Ball, And It's Painful

might be a few outliers. sure, lady crimson's gardening posts could get a boothby reference, but am not sure what do do with her korean media appreciation.... then again, am betting almost every korean tv or music star could get linked to lee byung-hun, an actor who were in gi joe films... and so too were the aforementioned rock. 

every post already is a star trek post, if you try hard enough to... make it so.

apologies

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"In the Tall Grass" via Netflix, a moody/visual horror movie based on a short novella by S. King and his son, unread by me.

--on my TV at least, it was so dark I could barely see anything most of the time, which is not something that happens often at all with this TV/my settings. I could've turned up brightness etc. temporarily, but the movie wasn't worth the bother.
--there were moments where I had sorta flashbacks to "The Happening." Tall grass and wind noises are so evvvvil.
--"wtf did I just watch."  No logic (not even horror logic), no explanation (what is that rock? I'd like to know more about that rock), no nothing, just chrs. running thru tall grass and mud with dirty faces and Patrick Wilson in another bad career choice. I think there was time-bending or something.

Not recommended, unless you need something to put you to sleep.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Just to cover it...

Picard: We're putting the band back together.
O'Brien: Forget it. No way.
Riker: We're on a mission from God.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What's with the TOS era Romulan Warbird? Well, granted, the show will have a Romulan or possibly Vulcan samurai and Jeri Ryan dual wielding pulse phasers so an anachronism is the least of my worries. I'm half expecting John Woo to direct and some serious wire-fu when the samurai starts deflecting energy blasts with his high tech sword.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. But I just finished watching the season 13 finale and it was a complete surprise. Kind of amazing that a show that has been in that long can amaze like that.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/its-always-sunny-mac-dance-season-13-finale.html#comments

• Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3