TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

Still binging The King's Avatar. It's (I think?) 40 episodes and Netflix puts up 10 each Friday. After the first 15 or so I started ffwd-ing through 70% of the live-human/dialogue sections and mostly watch the game/competition/training scenes. Eng. subtitles on Netflix are pretty terrible, which doesn't  help (usually they're at least adequate, but this show it's rather bad). Although there is one character that's hilarious (to me) every time he's playing the game, since he's one of those really fast talkers. I guess he'd either irritate or make one laugh - I'm the latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOcvOZae5c

I think there's an anime version too, I'll have to check that out. At any rate, for some reason I'm still having great fun watching the "game" sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WwP6OaynQM

Edit: bah, forum isn't showing the video links embedded in-post again. So flaky for me. Whatever. :) They're both 2 minutes or less.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tried watching the first episode of the Netflix Dark Crystal. I barely remember the movie, tbh, except for the muppet factor and I recall liking it at the time.
I'm assuming it's all CGI now, no puppets? It feels odd to me that they sorta kept the awkwardness of the puppet walking and face movement - it's not a bad thing, just took me a bit to get used to I guess. Visuals are quite nice overall. I may give it a longer shot if my attention span can keep up with it.

I could've done without the one Crystal keeper and her constant goopy nose problem tho. 😑

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They mixed in animatronics and cgi. As far as I can tell, all the close ups are puppets while everything else is cgi. Personally I have no problems with that - the show looks really great.

Got two more episodes to go. Love it a lot so far.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm assuming it's all CGI now, no puppets?

"actors" are puppets. many puppets. cgi is relative limited as the vast majority o' sets is real with a bit o' green-screen stuff. 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-08-31/dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-puppets-or-cgi/

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

"actors" are puppets. many puppets. cgi is relative limited as the vast majority o' sets is real with a bit o' green-screen stuff. 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-08-31/dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-puppets-or-cgi/

Ah. I thought they'd just done a really good job at recreating that stiff face movement of those elf-like people (sorry, forget the race name). Ha. Wouldn't surprise me if they at least did some CGI post-work enhancement, on either the puppets or just to create uber-perfect lighting. There is often just that kind of ... over-polished look. Not that it matters either way.

I like the quote in the article re: CGI Yoda and his movement. Too true, and not just on Yoda.

Finished the Dark Crystal.

What I didn't liked was...

... the final Battle. That one was lame as hell, imo.

Also these "rotate around character / object" camera scenes felt cheap and weirdly unfitting to me.

Other than that I loved the show. Loved the visuals and the world and how stuff was setup. It's just fantastic. Haven't seen a show like that in a long while.
As far as I am aware, there is nothing about a season 2 yet, but considering this one gets praised hard everywhere, I'm assuming it's going to happen.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 9/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, LittleArmadillo0 said:

A mini series that based off the work Uzumaki. It's considered to be one of the best horror mangas. I'm pretty excited :aiee:

Junji Ito has been resistant to an animated series (there was a live action movie in that adapts part of the story, but ends different as it was produced before the end of the manga had been made).  Ito is apparently a fan of director Hiroshi Nagahama if the articles I read are accurate, which is why he agreed to it.  While I've liked most of Ito's work Uzumaki is a particular masterwork.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

WATCH: Alec Baldwin Gets Absolutely Torched By Daughter Ireland at Comedy Central Roast

well, that was actual a bit uncomfortable, but somehow funny at same time... which am s'posing is the point.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Carnival Row was strange. Really good acting, interesting setting, but I'd almost say it was trying too hard to be the next GoT. The ending of the season left me cold, and people seemed to make a lot of bad decisions all the time. I don't know, I'm pretty lukewarm on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Carnival Row was strange. Really good acting, interesting setting, but I'd almost say it was trying too hard to be the next GoT. The ending of the season left me cold, and people seemed to make a lot of bad decisions all the time. I don't know, I'm pretty lukewarm on it.

had same feelings regarding overt self-destructive behaviour.

am guessing it kinda builds drama... or something? if you see a child about to stick a fork into an electric outlet, there is drama. have an entire show o' toddlers armed with forks who is planning and positioning and  announcing how they is going to jam their utensils into an electric outlet is difficult to watch.

HA! Good Fun!

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs which was really great and Buffalo Boys which was not. 

thought ballad were fantastic. made mention on these boards how it were some o' the best tv we had seen in awhile.

am saddened to realize it were initial 'posed to be a limited series with each vignette receiving a full episode.

HA! Good Fun!

I watched Between Two Ferns: The Movie.

Well that's one thing where a movie wasn't necessary. The best parts were - not surprisingly! - the actual talk show segments and the outtakes of these during the credits. Everything else was mildly amusing at best, but such is often the case for me when I watch comedy.

It's well worth fast forwarding through the film to get to the Between Two Ferns sections.

The funniest joke in the normal part of the movie is when Zach goes to Peter Dinklage's house for an interview and to steal his stuff and he has a copy of The Winds of Winter.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Between Two Ferns the movie (Netflix)

I don't recall ever seeing any of the web shorts. The film is typical of a skit-idea that gets turned into a movie and nothing that great but yeah, those celebrity interview bits can be quite funny. You can ffwd and skip the "plot" and just watch those and get a chuckle. The most hilarious to me however was the very brief moments at the start of the credits that show some outtakes of them laughing while trying to film etc.  I'd love to see long editions of all the filming of interviews, including those outake moments left in.

Oh yeah - that Breaking Bad film trailer reminded me that I watched "Brightburn" last night. The guy in the knit cap (Badger?) from BB is in that one.

The film itself disappointed me since I was hoping for more of a thriller/superhero subversion and it's really just a (sometimes very graphic) horror movie. The guy playing the young son is decent and the very last couple minutes were more like what I was envisioning but by then far too little too late. Maybe if they'd made it 10-15 minutes longer and built up chrs. outside of the son/mom a tad more.