TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

algroth is a disney plant! How much are they paying you, corporate shill?

I did exclude here from that criticism, as I'm 100% certain we're all real and genuine people united only by our wholly amateur interest in great RPGs whose superb quality is only bettered by their tremendous value for money, fantastic production values, deep and involving storylines, easy to learn yet hard to master game systems and long term replayability..

..but overall while I'm sure there are many many people who are genuinely excited I've seen an awful lot of "wow as I real and genuine person I find the low low subscription price of Disney+ coupled to exceptional and varied offerings from Marvel(TM), Star Wars(TM) and the core Disney(TM) business and back catalogue to be exceptional value and as a real and genuine person I shall certainly be giving Disney my business. And as a real and genuine person who cares deeply about everyone experiencing such great content at a bargain price I urge all fellow real and genuine people to subscribe to Disney+(TM) as well. I shall also be cancelling my Netflix subscription post haste as they have poor content and are too expensive!" type stuff as well.

(to be fair the latter is pretty accurate, there's literally nothing on NZ Netflix that I would classify as must watch and they've just upped prices. OTOH Marvel TV and recent Star Wars doesn't give me much confidence in the key adultish Disney+ offerings either)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, algroth said:

*runs away after signing Hulrshot up for a year-long subscription*

Ah, he's a Comcast shill.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Semi-excited: a 2nd season of Mindhunter! *gets to watching posthaste*

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Taika Waititi is directing an episode, so I'd expect at least some humour. I don't think he could do 100% serious under threat of anything.

I'm sure there will be some jokey moments or the "sorta funny chr" ala 3PO. I just meant it wouldn't be at all the emphasis.
As to Disney channel/sub....eh, I have nothing against Disney per se anymore than I do with CBS, but to me those aren't TV-subs that can fulfill a generalist role like Netflix ("I'm bored, I'll  surf Netflix for something mindless") or Amazon or even HBO (general films vs. only their own series). Disney and CBS etc are specific company products. So I may be willing to sub to something like Viki because otherwise I'd have far far less access to ANY Asian TV series, but I'm less inclined to sub to something that only showcases one company's products. If Netflix/Amazon ever became nothing but their own branded shows I'd be a lot less interested in retaining them, too. It may happen one day.

Btw, Netflix seems to be using Asian dramas (and some others here and there) as platforms for not releasing all episodes at once. Like My First First Love was split into two seasons with a few months between, when it's really just the typical kdrama 16 eps. season/arc, and some that are "new episodes weekly" even tho they've already been filmed/aired in Asia months ago. The latter could just be part of their deals to have access to those shows (or maybe in some cases they haven't actually quite finished airing in Asia so airing weekly/being a few months behind is how they can get such series in a more timely manner vs. waiting a year or two). It wouldn't surprise me if eventually they do more and more of the "weekly episodes" style or split things into two or three chunks with a month or three apart to fight that "sub and cancel next week" habit some have.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, Raithe said:

As in that mini pilot episode that was shot purely to keep the licence?

In part, it was terrible, but actually, I really liked Billy Zane's role in it. It was basically that opening prologue of Eye of the World with Ishamael's almost monologue to the newly insane Lews Therin.

But Zane manages to inhabit that role with that..slightly over the top zest that you expect from Ishamael.

The one adaptation that I would actually get a subscription for, but I would expect more screaming, angst and Dragonmountexplodeying in a full production.

****. I'm going to have to get my friends to start a new tabletop WoT campaign now, and read the books again - the cravings came back with a vengeance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just finished watching Preacher season 3.

Season 2 was a real boring and annoying turd that killed all my interest in the show. I've only ended up watching season 3, because there was nothing else right now and I had a desperate amount of boredom in me. Now as it turns out, season 3 is actually pretty good again and I don't regret having picked it up again. In fact, I'm not kinda tensed to see how everything continues in season 4.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I watched the show and I thought it was pretty funny, and a healthy antidote to the twitter mob who get to decide what the right opinion on anything is.

Dave Chappelle can do whatever he wants. Permanent immunity, they can't touch him.

It would take something out of the ordinary. I so hope he's not a secret pervert. I don't want to lose another Louis CK caliber comic. 

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It only has 5 reviews from fairly mediocre sources at this point. I watched it, or rather watched 30 minutes of it. For some reason that is my limit for standup comedy specials. I think I've watched 30 minutes of a dozen Netflix comedy specials and never gone back to finish. :shrugz:

Wu Assassin - ok, the first episode is pretty bad. The actors delivery of dialogue, cheesy setups, overused Asian cliches. Still, it's kind of more the bad it's entertaing then just plain bad. I stuck it out a bit and by episode 3 it improves a fair bit. The actors no longer feel as stilted (maybe the director/s improved, or maybe it's because they start talking a tad less...), the chr. Uncle Six is rather interesting, and the fight sequences are at least fun. 

So far the biggest weakness to me is the bits with the lady in white (the Wu Assassin advisor if you will) in the "magical no space and time" zone. They're largely for exposition and the actress isn't up to it imo, and the sets for those scenes are the cheapest. Also, the lead actor isn't the most impressive yet. Anyway, once past that 1st episode it's not too bad. Nothing special, but kind of entertaining regardless.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Wu Assassin. At best I'd give it maybe 3 stars out of 5, so average.

--Fight scenes were great, and it's nice to see ones where you can see more of the action choreography vs. just a stuntman's head, foot, flash of a fist.
--Episode 9 ... "Summer Glau! Awesome!" ... Episode 10: "What a waste of use of Summer Glau."
--Beyond the 1st episode, it takes itself a bit too seriously to be wacky and the writing of the plot threads is pretty bad. Things happen out of nowhere, too many chrs. leading to too many side bits that throw any rhythm or storytelling pacing off.
--Uncle Six and the main antagonist were the best things. Plus the guy playing the Earth Wu, can't recall his name, but recognizable face.
--Lead actor never grew on me, outside of the fact he can TV fight really well.

Edit: I also tried to watch HBO's "Ballers" the other day. It has comic moments but the whole sports theme - not for me.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Do they show them all at once or once per week? Don't really want to pick it up if it isn't fully available yet.

/Edit: Looks like everything is out already. Cool.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

wu assassin have the same problem a lot of other netflix movie or show have

the ending often seem rushed and writer have no idea how to end the story and leave some awkward sequel bait

It kind of feels like some of the writers don't know what to do with the 8-10 episode format. Either they don't have enough story and end up with too much filler or they go plot-overboard and too much ends up on the cutting floor.

Wu has a couple spots where it literally seemed to me that a fight scene or two was cut out (at least it would've made a lot more sense if there had been even partial fight scenes in those instances) as well as the chrs. that have to be there (there had to be 5 Wu's and 5 good guys) but are given no time to make impression.

16 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

"Face of stone and chilling blue eyes"... uhh.

Also, al'Lan Mandragoran is supposed to be around 50 from what I remember.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken