TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

Watched the final season of Orange Is The New Black.

There are times I wish my mind would compel me to keep watching shows that clearly spent their creativity and quality after the first (or second) season. I'm not entirely sure what this last season was supposed to be. An attempt to outdo A Song Of Ice And Fire in terms of terrible things happened to people without understanding the difference between a meaningful and a pointless character death*? Trying to cram in all the social commentary the show lost in the past four seasons? Making Piper even more insufferable than she already was?

I'm glad it is over.

Taystee hanging herself would have been so much better than anything else that happened this season - like Lorna's kid dying, Janeway having early-onset dementia and Dogget overdosing (and of course passing the GED anyway).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I actually sat down and watched that Blood and Treasures.

Entertaining, in that slightly escapist, pulpy adventure way. A bit of tension, a bit of action, a few smiles, a dash of cliche romance. A lot of good supporting actors working it along.

And apparently its now been given a second season, which I'll be curious as to see just what they do with it then.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thanks for the link, Raithe. I watched the whole thing, and it was bad, but it reminded me of a lot that Ive forgotten since I read the books. Its also funny to me to compare how Ive been saying some of the words in my head (ie: Aes Sedai) vs how its supposed to be pronounced. :lol:

• Like 1

Can't say I care either so long as it's consistent. I imagined them being a bit more 'Meditteranean' than the castings but so long as Rand looks noticeably different from the rest of the Two Rivers folks- which the guy does- I don't see any reason for complaint.

I have to admit than I am kind of hoping Billy Zane gets to be Ishamael again, he was certainly good for a giggle in the pilot.

• Like 2

Got around to finishing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 6.

Well Coulson's back as an LMD copy of his framework backup. A bizarre choice given the actual, organic, monolith-created Coulson copy that's been in the entire season. Also Fitz-Simmons now may or may not be robots or robot copies of their original selves.

All in all maybe the weakest season since the first, but still pretty entertaining all in all, but it sure was weird... even for a show set in the MCU (or not, any more, what with Endgame and all).

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Got around to finishing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 6.

Hide contents

Well Coulson's back as an LMD copy of his framework backup. A bizarre choice given the actual, organic, monolith-created Coulson copy that's been in the entire season. Also Fitz-Simmons now may or may not be robots or robot copies of their original selves.

All in all maybe the weakest season since the first, but still pretty entertaining all in all, but it sure was weird... even for a show set in the MCU (or not, any more, what with Endgame and all).

Weird indeed. But they got me interested in the next season.

sign.jpg

On 8/16/2019 at 12:38 AM, majestic said:

Watched the final season of Orange Is The New Black.

There are times I wish my mind would compel me to keep watching shows that clearly spent their creativity and quality after the first (or second) season. I'm not entirely sure what this last season was supposed to be. An attempt to outdo A Song Of Ice And Fire in terms of terrible things happened to people without understanding the difference between a meaningful and a pointless character death*? Trying to cram in all the social commentary the show lost in the past four seasons? Making Piper even more insufferable than she already was?

I'm glad it is over.

Hide contents

Taystee hanging herself would have been so much better than anything else that happened this season - like Lorna's kid dying, Janeway having early-onset dementia and Dogget overdosing (and of course passing the GED anyway).

Yeah, to me it felt like... did they not know this was the final season until about halfway through? They introduced lots new stuff and then... wrapped it up quickly? Why? I appreciate how they tried to show the migrant stuff, but at the same time i'd rather have seen the old characters again which weren't shown in the past season and now appeared for 10 seconds in the final episode. And the Piper storyline angered me too. They crammed in drama where none was necessary, imo. Oh yeah, and the Piper vs. Alex storyline annoyed me since EVER. Ugh. Couldn't they just stop?

All in all a very mixed bag.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 8/16/2019 at 11:21 PM, InsaneCommander said:

I don't think I ever learned how to speak Ta'veren and Tel'aran'rhiod lol

As for the Wheel of Time cast, I don't care how they look, except for the people that have specific hair color or other characteristics for a reason.

Well as I recall, the producers had talked about how they plan to actually try to cast specific ethnicities for the different regions in the world. Since the books highlighted the different aspects so much, they want to try to do the same thing in the series.  Not just have that generic mix.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wu Assassins seems pretty fun, kind of has that Big Trouble in Little Chinatown feel. Although it is a bit unrealistic. I mean, one guy asks to borrow money for rent, and he only asks for $1200. Puhleeeze, rent for anything in San Francisco is 4 times that.

Hm, tempted to watch that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been binging the King's Avatar via Netflix. Mostly because of Yang Yang, who was in another (also gaming related/themed) series I sorta liked ... eg, name recognition mostly.
This one seems to be gaming plot centered vs. romance plotted (zero romance in 7 episodes so far, which is fine/refreshing actually), about pro gamer players and arena/team competitions. It's not all that good, but for some reason I keep watching for the "game" fighting scenes. It's not the best animation/CGI mind, but it looks like a game only with more souped up avatar faces, camera angles and action edits and oddly I find those bits entertaining.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

(Edit: Mandalorian looks like a cross between SW and Firefly, only without the humor. Well made trailer, certainly makes one curious)

--------- Breaking Bad Netflix movie in early Oct.

Written and directed by Vince Gilligan. I'm a little iffy re: whether a Pinkman coda is enough story to be riveting drama, but since it's Netflix and I can watch it right away, I'll tune in. Here's hoping it's at least good.  (trailer doesn't show much, it's more of a teaser)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/arts/television/breaking-bad-movie-starring-aaron-paul-coming-to-netflix-in-october.html

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

(Edit: Mandalorian looks like a cross between SW and Firefly, only without the humor. Well made trailer, certainly makes one curious)

Taika Waititi is directing an episode, so I'd expect at least some humour. I don't think he could do 100% serious under threat of anything.

I think I'd be a lot more interested in Disney+ if it weren't for the obvious astroturfing going on (specifically elsewhere, not here). I'm getting pretty good at spotting templated "hello, fellow Disney fans" comments and they always make we want to do the exact opposite, on principle. They're also pretty clearly going to go for a more traditional approach to holding subscribers, ie weekly episode releases and staggered series instead of dumping the whole season at once.

The Kenobi announcement was an unexpected occurrence, certainly, albeit pleasant; and is more evidence we've reached peaked meme.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Hurlshot said:

Whoa, Mandalorian looks really good. I had no interest in Disney+ and now I'm like, what subscription can I cut to make that happen?

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

algroth is a disney plant! How much are they paying you, corporate shill?

🤔

• Hmmm 2
  • Gasp! 1