TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

Finished watching Veronica Mars. Beginning was a bit boring. Was fun to see all the old people again... being old. What I hated was

how they killed off Logan, just when I started to like him again.

Meh.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finally, another K-drama (I think) I can really sink my teeth into. "When the Devil Calls Your Name." And who better to play a soul-contracting Devil than Park Sung-woon. The man who is awesome at  comedy, drama/melo, and most things between. Also, whose charisma and mature expression gives him the ability to look great in even the worst "bad" suits. Haha. Sadly I can't binge-watch it since it's still airing, only the first two episodes (both great, funny and fantasy-drama at the same time). Not sure if I'll wait some weeks so I can  binge. Lee El is also a nice presence (she had a role in Goblin).

Main star is actually Jung Kyung-ho, who I also think is superb, seen him in a lot of things. I still haven't seen the last series where they first paired together because it's not on Netflix or Viki.  :::sad face:::  These two actors together is a fantastic pairing.

Edit: I know, there are other sites you can watch that earlier series (Life on Mars). Not sure I want to go that route tho - quality of video and subs is usually low at such sites. Maybe I'll buy it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So yeah, the master storytellers Friedman and Weiss, 'creators' of Game of Thrones have landed at Netflix, rather than Amazon as rumoured. So LOTR is 100% safe from their input. OTOH Netflix is probably a good fit given the (lack of) quality of most Netflix Originals recently.

(Lol at 'GoT creators' in the headline though. They adapted it and pretty well initially, but ironically given that headline it was when they had to actually 'create' that they totally screwed the pooch. OTOH, they'd probably have done a decent job with The Witcher since that would have been an adaptation)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

I started watching Project Blue Book, its based on true events in the 1950's in the USA where the government started investigating the phenomena of UFO sightings and the mass hysteria that gripped the country

The directors of course do add some artistic license into the narrative so there is the " real " hidden UFO presence that each episode unpacks. Its very entertaining and reminds me of X-Files for those that enjoyed that type of genre  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

I started watching Project Blue Book, its based on true events in the 1950's in the USA where the government started investigating the phenomena of UFO sightings and the mass hysteria that gripped the country

The directors of course do add some artistic license into the narrative so there is the " real " hidden UFO presence that each episode unpacks. Its very entertaining and reminds me of X-Files for those that enjoyed that type of genre  

I watched only a few episodes, maybe 4. How are the other ones?

sign.jpg

26 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I watched only a few episodes, maybe 4. How are the other ones?

I enjoyed it, I watched to the end and there is definitely something about it that kept me captivated

Its not just the alien conspiracy but the other characters themes that are interwoven into the general story. Like the hot Russian blond and what she is up to :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 8/10/2019 at 6:22 AM, ShadySands said:

We watched it and enjoyed it but I thought the pacing was weird

You seem to be not commenting on the most significant part of the series, the hot  Russian blond ...did you find her...hot ? Its okay you can be honest, you amongst friends :p

42 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I really liked it too, though I found the family drama with the hot Russian trying to drive a wedge between the husband and wife a bit much. It did end on a high note so I will tune in for the second season.

Interestingly enough I found the family drama aspect of the series with the hot Russian  more nuanced and complex and what was particularly surprising as a plot development

Spoiler

So basically she was suppose to be dedicated only to the Soviet objective, she was also portrayed in the beginning as having no real emotional connections to anything or anyone  American. She also was someone who has treated violently by her handler which seems to be part of her job description. Yet she developed real feelings or at least her own kind of emotional connection to the wife's naive, well meaning  and  sincere view of the world. It was just  a nice change for me to see this very well trained agent capable of killing anyone with no remorse  actually betraying her country because she felt something....normal

I can see where its going, the captain better watch out because she will have him eating out her hands in the next season and I predict he will become unintentionally the source of information ...lucky bastard :sweat:

John Milton 

The Boys was good. I especially liked the saving the dolphin scene.

On the anime front Vinland Saga is god tier with Kimetsu no Yaiba and Enen no Shouboutai trailing close behind.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The Naked Director. Normally tv sex makes me feel embarrassed, but this ended up being funny more than anything. I'd reccomend it for the nsfw folks, but make sure netflix doesn't set your audio to the dub because it's creepy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 8/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, BruceVC said:

I hope it does well just because it doing so might mean I get a chance to see Project U.F.O. again...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 hours ago, ManifestedISO said:

only two episodes so far; that same feeling, summer '99, walking out of The Matrix, but also TRON, Assassin's Creed, LOST, probably more ... watching Westworld for the first time 🤠

I tried watching the Westworld series. I was so bored I turned it off before the first episode ended. I did love (the first) Matrix tho. I think I liked the original Tron but mostly because it was so different at the time. The more recent remake of Tron was ok but meh.

I'm (sort of) waiting for Netflix's 2nd season of their Lost in Space. Mostly because I'm curious where they're taking Ms. Smith and if I'll end up liking her any better. And for the robot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I loved Westworlds first two seasons. Much better than the previous Westworld tv series. But I imagine the way it tells its stories isn't for everyone.

I've got to watch new LiS.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I loved Westworlds first two seasons. Much better than the previous Westworld tv series. But I imagine the way it tells its stories isn't for everyone.

the cookie monster westworld were even better than the first two seasons. weren't amentep the person who linked?

am not recalling all attributes, but cm received max for appetite and "nom nom"? dancing were 12. grouchiness were a zero and sharing were... either 12 or 17. only saw for an instant so is only a few numbers am able to visualize. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sad to see the trippy series Legion come to an end... and just fade away like that. It felt a bit Fringe did when that was over. Now what am I going to watch? Everything good is on streaming services these days.

OMG, Robert Jordan's WoT series is coming to Amazon. Will that last for 150 years before finally coming to an end?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

As in that mini pilot episode that was shot purely to keep the licence?

In part, it was terrible, but actually, I really liked Billy Zane's role in it. It was basically that opening prologue of Eye of the World with Ishamael's almost monologue to the newly insane Lews Therin.

But Zane manages to inhabit that role with that..slightly over the top zest that you expect from Ishamael.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."