TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

11 hours ago, PetterJhon said:

Hello everyone,,

i recently started watching a show called Fringe, and so far i am blown away by it. i am in the middle of season four, and it isn't as interesting season one, but that is because the secret was still in the "Box" as JJ Abrams put it.  anyways i wanted to hear the communities thoughts on the show....

Fringe is good, but I liked the original show better. 

Is it for stuff from the books? I'd be okay with that but if it's some original stuff then yeah...

I really liked Fringe up until the reveals started coming then it was just okay

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

43 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Is it for stuff from the books? I'd be okay with that but if it's some original stuff then yeah...

I really liked Fringe up until the reveals started coming then it was just okay

I don't remember the source, but it is not anything from the books. I think it will be about Numenor.

Edit: Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV Show Confirms Second Age of Middle Earth and Númenor Setting

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Sad 1

sign.jpg

So I started watching new Veronica Mars and damn, I didn't recognize Logan at all. Wondered for a long time if they used a different actor. 🤔

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Smells like a contract negotiation leak to get someone to up their offer.

LOTR series already has all its major creative/ admin side roles filled, iirc, and is starting to release cast information. It's too far along for Friedman and Weiss to be parachuted in.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

GoT had a ton of great episodes and moments, so I don't see the cause for concern. Although the two properties have vastly different tones, so who knows?

Since Amazon will create almost all of the content for this show, I don't expect anything as interesting as Tolkien's books, but it could still get worse with Dumb and Dumber. Even with the good moments in GoT, I still  prefer them far away from anything else I like. Their commentaries about Arya revealed that they didn't even remember that she got needle from Jon. And Dany forgetting about the fleet that caused her so much loss is completely stupid. I don't expect anything good from them in the near future, at least.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Agreed, they aren't a great choice, but their best work to date has been in adapting other peoples material. And The Lord of the Rings is a book with a very definitive ending and a pretty straightforward plot to follow. That said it's very unlikely that's what Amazon would want to hire them for though, and this could all end in a fumbling attempt at recreating the magic of Game of Thrones.

He go boom.

I was Googling the supes and sent myself down a rabbit hole about The Boys comic. Theres significant differences to the very roots of The Boys;

in the comic, apparently they themselves (at least definitely Hughie) have taken compound V and have powers of their own.

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

He go boom.

I was Googling the supes and sent myself down a rabbit hole about The Boys comic. Theres significant differences to the very roots of The Boys;

Reveal hidden contents

in the comic, apparently they themselves (at least definitely Hughie) have taken compound V and have powers of their own.

I think it will happen in future seasons.

I'd have taken it, despite the risk, if I was in their situation. The supes were angry with them and the authorities were looking for them. I'd have expected a painful death in the hands of Homelander and taking the compound would've been better.

Also, in the comics it's Homelander that welcomes Starlight, if you know what I'm talking about.

sign.jpg

41 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I think it will happen in future seasons.

Hide contents

I'd have taken it, despite the risk, if I was in their situation. The supes were angry with them and the authorities were looking for them. I'd have expected a painful death in the hands of Homelander and taking the compound would've been better.

Also, in the comics it's Homelander that welcomes Starlight, if you know what I'm talking about.

I would take it right now!

:lol: From what I can tell, it seems to offer a baseline of (near) invulnerability and strength to everyone, and then some unique powers based on the individual? And yeah I saw that about Homelander but its even worse...I think two more supes joined in too. 🤯

I still have yet (I think) to like an Amazon series enough to finish it. I've watched one or a fewepisodes of some of their stuff but that's about it. And no, I don't think they're terrible, I can't really judge quality. Just so many shows are not my type of pacing/atmosphere or something I guess. I was going to try the Boy's but I have a feeling it'll be the same - not enough to keep my attention from wandering around. :lol: 

I tried watching  that S. Korean version of the US "Designated Survivor." I've only seen one episode of the original US series (what's-his-face now acts like he's always stuck in 24 mode) but was mostly curious what S. Korea did with it (they did a version of Criminal Minds a while back too, which was mediocre). They change things quite drastically from the US series, felt like only bare premise was the same in that 1st episode. It's kind of bad, kind of amusing. Don't care about watching it all.

I'm sure I watched some other stuff but I've already forgotten what they were.  Edit: oh, some reality crime shows, some Smithsonian tour-like series for China, and a WW2 doc. series.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Goliath is probably my favorite Amazon series. But hey, I am there for the free 2 day shipping. 👍

I also have Prime for the shipping and the shows are just a bonus.

I really liked Good Omens. Haven't watched the Boy's yet but I plan on getting around to it eventually.

Plus, they have Psych

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well I guess we're not getting the Black Noir reveal in The Boys.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, its a shame we're probably not going to get that. Probably not going to see Hughie infiltrate the G-Men or Superduper either.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hubby and I watched 3.5 episodes of The Boys.

At the end of the first two, we looked at it each other and shrugged: "Can't decide if I like this show or not." There's stuff that was sort of interesting, some silly amusing things, but also long sequences of ho-hum.
At the end of the third episode we looked at each other and were all: "Well, that was an effective way to end an episode, maybe it's getting interesting now."
Half-way through the 4th we were back to ho-hum. So I'm still undecided. 😛

I do like the main "supe" guy, the actor is killing it re: being an all-smiles/politics on stage but an a-hat off it, some of the black humor, Karl Urban, and the French guy. Huey is lost on me tho - don't like that character at all yet. The concept of ego filled, spoiled, situationally-bad to actually-bad superheroes isn't new but they're using it fairly effectively.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:10 PM, Hurlshot said:

Goliath is probably my favorite Amazon series. But hey, I am there for the free 2 day shipping. 👍

Shipping is why I got it as well. At the time I don't think they even had any "Amazon series" yet, just a poor selection of old movies. I saw the 1st ep. of Goliath because Billy Bob, but never went back for more. I love Billy but eh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 7/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, BruceVC said:

I have just started watching The Loudest Voice and its excellent, its all about the rise and genesis of Fox News

Roger Ailes was a genius, its really fascinating and insightful how he created the Fox News network. He is played by Russell Crowe who as usual is superlative as the media mogul

Highly recommended ⚡

I am nearing the end of this series and its still brilliant  but I have to say Roger Ailes really had some serious mental issues, controversial views and insecurities

You talk about creating a toxic work environment, that is if the series is to be believed and from  my research its based on the reality 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela