TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

i just watched that Picard trailer three times and then replayed the scene with the Japanese Vulcan with what appears to be a cheap looking katana on his back several times just to make sure my eyes didn't deceive me. Granted it's only a wooden handle so it might just be a bent stick but the imagery alone is ridiculous.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This looks pretty cool, imo. Who knows, maybe it'll be better than the old movie. :p

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 hours ago, Lexx said:

This looks pretty cool, imo. Who knows, maybe it'll be better than the old movie. :p

Meh. Beautiful dryads looks too ugly,  the creators of the TV series confused  Slavs with Gypsies, all Slavic medieval vibe what make Witcher setting unique has been missed. We live in interesting time when videogames start surpass TV, they are just better in all.005.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rubarbarian said:

Meh. Beautiful dryads looks too ugly,  the creators of the TV series confused  Slavs with Gypsies, all Slavic medieval vibe what make Witcher setting unique has been missed. We live in interesting time when videogames start surpass TV, they are just better in all.

I think the series looks excellent, that trailer was brilliant. I am super, super and ....extra super excited for the release of The Witcher :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I think the series looks excellent, that trailer was brilliant. I am super, super and ....extra super excited for the release of The Witcher :dancing:

Yeah me too. I really hope Netflix allows you to just subscribe to a specific show only.

• Like 1

Watched the next in line of what I call Netflix adaptation atrocities. This time they went and defiled a long standing anime franchise Saint Seiya.

Being a fan for decades now it was painful to watch those 6 episodes of pure garbage. Here a few things Netflix adaptation though was a good idea:

Changing the names of ALL main characters except Seiya to some generic stereotypical names form the nation they trained in. Because they thought it was wierd they all had Japanese names. Except there is a reason they do have Japanese names - they are all at least half Japanese (don't want to spoiler, if someone wants to check why it's easy to find). And I would maybe believe them if that was the case. But either remake authors have no idea about the source material or they BS the audience. For example Cygnus Hyoga is renamed Magnus, because apparently the authors cannot differentiate between Scandinavia and Russia (original Cygnus Hyoga was half Russian and trained in Syberia) and why change Japanese character Ikki name, not to mention that I'm pretty sure Long is not a Chinese name.
Introducing some pointless human villain and have Saints fight human armies. We are talking about characters hitting with a strength of a meteorite and speed of sound at the beginning.  And somehow it supposed to be interesting to watch them shrug bullets and missiles. Not to mention they made Phoenix their lackey and turned iconic Black Knights to some technological attempt to recreate Saints that got whacked in few minutes. Why on earth would the most powerful Bronze Saint join some human? Who knows, including the authors.
They also turned the gender of one of the characters as is nowadays tradition. But they misfired badly on this and changed Andromeda Shun into a girl. I really hope SJW will for once be useful and kick someones but over this in a just cause for once. The explanation for this is delightful in and of itself. This is a quote from the authors:

"But I didn’t want to create a new female character that would stick out and be obvious – especially if she was not created naturally and has no character/personality except “to be the girl.”"

Get that? We wanted to introduce a female, but we have no idea how to write one. Ugh.

TL;DR - Netflix Saint Seiya remake sucks, don't watch 😎

166215__front.jpg

3 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Yeah me too. I really hope Netflix allows you to just subscribe to a specific show only.

Imagine how exciting its going to be as they develop each book into a different season or at least align the seasons on the general themes in the books. I have to be honest I havent read any of the books but the PC RPG are some of my favorite RPG I have ever played, especially the last one. I spent about 350 hours on W3 so I am familiar with the Witcher universe 

Also I imagine they will use degrees of artistic license but the good news is unlike the GOT TV series, which I also loved but the books were better IMO, there are so many subplots and brilliant ideas in the Witcher universe they can literally make many, many seasons and be allowed degrees of latitude in there interpretation without being heavily criticized understandably by upset fans...so I guess what I mean is the Witcher doesn't necessarily  have the same ardent and large fan base which is a good thing in certain things 

Finally I must read the books, I thought they were only in Polish but you can get them in English 🤓

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Rubarbarian said:

Meh. Beautiful dryads looks too ugly,  the creators of the TV series confused  Slavs with Gypsies, all Slavic medieval vibe what make Witcher setting unique has been missed. We live in interesting time when videogames start surpass TV, they are just better in all.

I liked the dryads from Brokilon Brooklyn actually.

166215__front.jpg

31 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

What? I mean, you pay like $10 a month for the whole library. You can watch it and just cancel your sub after a month. Heck, you can probably even watch it on a free trial period. I'm not sure you can find a better bargain for your entertainment dollars. Maybe the public libraries are a better deal, but that's about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Yes SJW revenge to hated Witcher setting must be funny, triggered fans generate content  every sec now.

Spoiler

174ccbf531909e688fdfe850c89b4c5cbf866818

1563632018125094676.jpg

1563799225180056450.jpg

The-Witcher-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

I liked the dryads from Brokilon Brooklyn actually.

My criticism is not about skin color. IMHO beautiful naked  supernatural being must be much more beautiful and much more naked than some granny from Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skarpen said:

not to mention that I'm pretty sure Long is not a Chinese name.

I think Long was the translation of the surname that's usually translated Lung these days.  Not 100% sure on that, but I've definitely seen Long on older (pinyin?) translations.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I think Long was the translation of the surname that's usually translated Lung these days.  Not 100% sure on that, but I've definitely seen Long on older (pinyin?) translations.

Well that's make it even worse, doesn't it?

166215__front.jpg

I'm not a big fan of changing names in adaptions (that said with specific cases I can see why it might be done).  However the way credits are done, writers get credited only if they made demonstrated changes to the script and one of the 'play the system' ways that's been traditionally done is to rename all the characters.  So a character who might have been Hung in one draft may become Long in another.  Its silly, but might account for the name changes in this adaption as a whole (and may not, as well).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, Rubarbarian said:

B-but the witcher creator himself has signed up and approved it!

• Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

24 minutes ago, Lexx said:

B-but the witcher creator himself has signed up and approved it!

But surly its not unreasonable to adhere to the general themes and tropes of fantasy in a universe like the Witcher in the interests of " fantasy realism"  ? Dryads and sirens should be hot fairy like creatures who can seduce men....surly ?:shrugz:

I would also approve it if I was the creator and was offered  a fat paycheck by HBO to develop the series ....Im sure you can understand reasonable criticism about how certain things in the Witcher universe need to be portrayed by fans 

Im still very excited about the series...Im just saying 

John Milton 

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

What? I mean, you pay like $10 a month for the whole library. You can watch it and just cancel your sub after a month. Heck, you can probably even watch it on a free trial period. I'm not sure you can find a better bargain for your entertainment dollars. Maybe the public libraries are a better deal, but that's about it.

Do you mean wait until the season is done and then subscribe for a month to watch all the episodes? Also, when you say the whole library, do you mean all of their shows? I am not at all familiar with streaming services.

1 minute ago, kanisatha said:

Do you mean wait until the season is done and then subscribe for a month to watch all the episodes? Also, when you say the whole library, do you mean all of their shows? I am not at all familiar with streaming services.

o:) It would be considered unethical behavior but what you can do is wait for Witcher to be on Netflix and then join for the free  month to stream it and any other series 

But as Hurlshot mentioned its well worth just paying the $10 

John Milton 

Yep, all of the shows and movies they have availble for streaming are available to you.

Our basic plan lets you stream TV shows and movies from Netflix on one device at a time in standard definition (SD). This plan also lets you download titles to one phone or tablet. $9

Our standard plan lets you stream TV shows and movies from Netflix on two devices at the same time and in high definition (HD) when available. This plan also lets you download titles to two phones or tablets. $13

Our premium plan lets you stream TV shows and movies from Netflix on four devices at the same time and in high definition (HD) and ultra high definition (UHD) when available. This plan also lets you download titles to four phones or tablets. $16

Also, nothing wrong with using a trial to watch what you want. Their goal is to get you in and have the rest of their content keep you beyond the free trial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

A.s others have stated, nothing wrong with using a trial to watch a series. Netflix typically releases the entire season all at once, so also no reason to wait for episodes. With Netflix, your subscription unlocks all the content they have licenses for.  

• Thanks 1