TV and Streaming: The Thread

Amentep

I started watching Nightflyers and Im really enjoying it, I did some reading up on it and noticed it was cancelled after 1 season 

It made me wonder why do so many good Sci-fi series only get through 1 season and then get cancelled? Why aren't these types of series popular...most of us enjoy them and Im sure we representative of a broader audience?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sci-Fi programs and movies tend to be more expensive to make, so one would think they probably need to have a greater degree of popularity to get a second season than, say, a contemporary drama with a similar size ensemble cast.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Sci-Fi programs and movies tend to be more expensive to make, so one would think they probably need to have a greater degree of popularity to get a second season than, say, a contemporary drama with a similar size ensemble cast.

You make a good point, the budgets would be greater and therefore require a larger and consistent audience 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Emmy nominations are out, for anyone interested.

[Edit: For the quality of S8 GoT got a ludicrous number of nominations including some bizarre options, but much like the Lord of the Rings movies the worst part seems likely to win most awards as a proxy for better times. If they wanted to give a Stark brother a nomination it should really have been Robb this year, and Lena Headey was barely even a supporting actress given Cersei had so very little screen time.

Obligatory meme observation: Chernobyl got 19 noms; compared to expectations that's not great, not terrible.

interesting forum bug with long spoilers: my comments at the bottom were outside the tags but got included, and they're uneditable too. Had to copy them out of the page before editing]

Summary, blatantly stolen off of reddit then trimmed a bit more:

Outstanding Comedy Series: Barry; Fleabag; Russian Doll; Schitt's Creek; The Good Place; The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel; Veep

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Bill Hader (Barry); Don Cheadle (Black Monday); Anthony Anderson (black-ish); Eugene Levy (Schitt's Creek); Ted Danson (The Good Place); Michael Douglas (The Kominski Method)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Christina Applegate (Dead to Me); Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag); Natasha Lyonne (Russian Doll); Catherine O'Hara (Schitt's Creek); Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Stephen Root (Barry); Henry Winkler (Barry); Anthony Corrigan (Barry); Alan Arkin (The Kominski Method); Tony Shalhoub (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Tony Hale (Veep)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Sarah Goldberg (Barry); Sian Clifford (Fleabag); Olivia Colman (Fleabag); Betty Gilpin (GLOW); Kate MacKinnon (Saturday Night Live); Alex Borstein (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Marin Hinkle (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Anna Chlumsky (Veep)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Matt Damon (SNL); Robert DeNiro (SNL); John Mulaney (SNL); Adam Sandler (SNL); Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Rufus Sewell (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel); Peter MacNicol (Veep)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Fiona Shaw (Fleaag); Kristin Scott Thomas (Fleabag); Sandra Oh (SNL); Emma Thompson (SNL); Maya Rudolph (The Good Place); Jane Lynch (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: Alex Berg (Barry / "The Audition"); Bill Hader (Barry / "ronny / lily"); Harry Bradbeer (Fleabag / "Episode 1"); Mark Cendrowski (The Big Bang Theory / "The Stockholm Syndrome"); Amy Sherman-Palladino (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / "All Alone"); Daniel Palladino (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / "We're Going to the Catskills!")

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: Alex Berg and Bill Hader (Barry / "ronny / lily"); Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag / "Episode 1"); Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle (PEN15 / "Anna Ishii-Peters"); Allison Silverman (Russian Doll / "A Warm Body"); Leslye Headland and Natasha Lyonne & Amy Poehler (Russian Doll / "Nothing in This World is Easy"); Josh Siegal and Dylan Morgan (The Good Place / "Janet(s)"); David Mandel (Veep / "Veep")

Outstanding Drama Series: Better Call Saul; Bodyguard; Game of Thrones; Killing Eve; Ozark; Pose; Succession; This Is Us

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul); Kit Harrington (Game of Thrones); Jason Bateman (Ozark); Billy Porter (Pose); Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us); Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Emilia Clark (Game of Thrones); Robin Wright (House of Cards); Viola Davis (How to Get Away with Murder); Sandra Oh (Killing Eve); Jodie Comer (Killing Eve); Laura Linney (Ozark); Mandy Moore (This Is Us)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Jonathan Banks (Better Call Saul); Giancarlo Esposito (Better Call Saul); Alfie Allen (Game of Thrones); Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones); Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones); Michael Kelly (House of Cards); Chris Sullivan (This Is Us)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Lena Headey (Game of Thrones); Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones); Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones); Gwendolyn Christie (Game of Thrones); Fiona Shaw (Killing Eve); Julia Garner (Ozark)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Michael McKean (Better Call Saul); Glynn Turman (How to Get Away with Murder); Bradley Whitford (The Handmaid's Tale); Kumail Nanjiani (The Twilight Zone); Michael Angarano (This Is Us); Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Apocalypse); Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones); Cicely Tyson (How to Get Away with Murder); Laverne Cox (Orange is the New Black); Cherry Jones (The Handmaid's Tale); Phylicia Rashad (This Is Us)

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones / "The Iron Throne"); David Nutter (Game of Thrones / "The Last of the Starks"); Miguel Sapochnik (Game of Thrones / "The Long Night"); Lisa Bruhlmann (Killing Eve / "Desperate Times"); Jason Bateman (Ozark / "Reparations"); Adam McKay (Succession / "Celebration"); Daina Reid (The Handmaid's Tale / "Holly")

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Peter Gould and Thomas Schnauz (Better Call Saul / "Winner"); Jed Mercurio (Bodyguard / "Episode 1"); David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones / "The Iron Throne"); Emerald Fennell (Killing Eve / "Nice and Neat"); Jesse Armstrong (Succession / "Nobody is Ever Missing"); Bruce Miller and Kira Snyder (The Handmaid's Tale / "Holly")

Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special: Stephen Frears (A Very English Scandal); Johan Renck (Chernobyl); Ben Stiller (Escape at Dannemora); Thomas Kail (Fosse/Verdon / "Who's Got the Pain"); Jessica Yu (Fosse/Verdon / "Glory"); Ava DuVernay (When They See Us)

Outstanding Directing for a Documentary / Nonfiction Program: Free Solo; FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened; Leaving Neverland; RBG; Three Identical Strangers

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Program: 30 For 30; American Masters; Chef's Table; Hostile Planet; Our Planet

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special: FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened; Jane Fonda in Five Acts; Leaving Neverland; Love, Gilda; Minding the Gap; The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie: Hugh Grant (A Very English Scandal); Jared Harris (Chernobyl); Benicio Del Toro (Escape at Dannemora); Sam Rockwell (Fosse/Verdon); Mahershala Ali (True Detective); Jharrel Jerome (When They See Us)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie: Patricia Arquette (Escape at Dannemora); Michelle Williams (Fosse/Verdon); Amy Adams (Sharp Objects); Joey King (The Act); Niecy Nash (When They See Us); Aunjanue Ellis (When They See Us)

Outstanding Television Movie: Black Mirror / Bandersnatch; Brexit; Deadwood; King Lear; My Dinner with Herve

Outstanding Limited Series: Chernobyl; Escape at Dannemora; Fosse/Verdon; Sharp Objects; When They See Us

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie: Ben Whishaw (A Very English Scandal); Stellan Skarsgard (Chernobyl); Paul Dano (Escape at Dannemora); Michael K. Williams (When They See Us); Asante Blackk (When They See Us); John Leguizamo (When They See Us)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie: Emily Watson (Chernobyl); Margaret Qualley (Fosse/Verdon); Patricia Clarkson (Sharp Objects); Patricia Arquette (The Act); Marsha Stephanie Blake (When They See Us); Vera Farmiga (When They See Us)

Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance: Kevin Michael Richardson (F is for Family); Alex Borstein (Family Guy); Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy); Hank Azaria (The Simpsons); Eric Jaconson (When You Wish Upon a Pickle: A Sesame Street Special)

For the quality of S8 GoT got a ludicrous number of nominations including some bizarre options, but much like the Lord of the Rings movies the worst part seems likely to win most awards as a proxy for better times. If they wanted to give a Stark brother a nomination it should really have been Robb this year, and Lena Headey was barely even a supporting actress given Cersei had so very little screen time.

Obligatory meme observation: Chernobyl got 19 noms; compared to expectations that's not great, not terrible.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/warhammer-40000-series-eisenhorn-in-the-works-the-x-files-frank-spotnitz-1203270041/

Frank Spotnitz (X-Files) and his production company Big Light in conjunction with Games Workshop will be making a Warhammer 40,000 tv series based on the Dan Abnet penned novels about Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn.

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Loved the books, but considering the quality of everything non-books in the WH40k universe, I'm skeptical.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ciaphas Cain would be better

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So apparently this is not a "cgi show". I'm really curious how edgy they will make the costumes. I'm imagining it to look either extremely cheap or not like all the WH40K art at all.

• Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

19 hours ago, Lexx said:

So apparently this is not a "cgi show". I'm really curious how edgy they will make the costumes. I'm imagining it to look either extremely cheap or not like all the WH40K art at all.

Will be both.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Still, Kurtzman.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.