What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

I am in JHB now and staying with my mom and stepdad, its been great seeing them again because I havent seen them in person for the last 8 months. I use to get really annoyed with my mom when I lived in JHB over small things but thats all behind me now and suddenly the small things that use to frustrate me around her comments and mannerisms dont bother me anymore 

I am also looking forward to seeing  my friends over NY and partaking in the NY celebrations and revelry  👯‍♂️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nightshift left a mess for me at work, even though they worked overtime until 9. Now it's 9:39 and I've cleaned up their mess and done all the work I can do to prep for the day. Time to sit back and wait until 14:30 when the rush is supposed to come.

😑

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

54 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Nightshift left a mess for me at work, even though they worked overtime until 9. Now it's 9:39 and I've cleaned up their mess and done all the work I can do to prep for the day. Time to sit back and wait until 14:30 when the rush is supposed to come.

😑

Never ever forget the benefits of your shift work ......remember the free and endless coffee ☕

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Never ever forget the benefits of your shift work ......remember the free and endless coffee ☕

True, true :) 

Think I'm on my 6th cup now. And probably umpteenth cigarette, lost count an hour ago. >_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We were going to see the Star Wars movie this morning but I was too sleepy. 😛

My PC case  made noises again after several hours so now the case-side is technically off, just lightly leaning against the rest of the case. I used painters tape to "seal off" the gap openings re; dust. The entire HDD holder (detachable modular component thingie) is a cheap piece of plastic **** that likely can't handle the weight and vibration of 2 (or maybe even 1) HDD's.

Maybe I should just go all 4TB sata SSD's for storage/image and video writing even if they might not last as long and say screw HDD's entirely. I could buy 6 of such SSD's, toss in two and have two sets of spares until/if I ever build yet another rig. 😛

Edit: holy crow, 4TB samsung Pro sata ssd's are like $1k. I have moolah but I'm not that crazy. Never mind. Maybe in a year or two.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Been there, I know the pain.

I was close to quitting again around spring this year, but then broke some fingers, a coworker quit and my boss reassigned me to a mindnumbingly boring job position. Needless to say, I basically started chain smoking since there is nothing to distract me from my cravings.

Applied for 50 days of vacation, starting April 16th, and while my boss told me it'd be ok, I've yet to gain confirmation on paper. Got to pester her a bit on thursday.

Okay so we decided what our NY plans are going to be today, For lunch today I  have found this very interesting restaurant that specializes in off cuts of meat, the restaurant is called Bosveld. Its basically a traditional Afrikaans\Dutch eatery but they have some very unusual items on there menu like tripe, kidneys and even sheeps head. For example I am going to order for starters the Lamb Tripe and Trotters ...check the menu out for those interested in unusual food

http://www.bosvelder.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Untitled-1.pdf

The funny part is none of my friends going with me eat off cuts of meat....but they can order steaks and ribs if they want 

Then we going to a Mexican theme restaurant\bar in the early evening for the main NY party and dinner. They going to arrange a DJ so the night will be combination of great music, Tequilas and general NY revelry 🥳

• Like 1

John Milton 

Alone at work, watching a documentary on Jonestown.  Reminded of the Agile evangelists at work, for some reason.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

My horoscopes are becoming strangely accurate lately.  I've always had a sort of vague/passive-but-not-important interest in them but lately they've kicked up a notch.

True Communists reject such frivolous things as horoscopes.....dont be be fooled by the attempts of evil Western, Capitalist, Imperial, neo-Colonial countries to control your destiny ....its all a lie to ensure Capital controls the world and prevents you from leaning the truth :p

John Milton 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:23 AM, BruceVC said:

Okay so we decided what our NY plans are going to be today, For lunch today I  have found this very interesting restaurant that specializes in off cuts of meat, the restaurant is called Bosveld. Its basically a traditional Afrikaans\Dutch eatery but they have some very unusual items on there menu like tripe, kidneys and even sheeps head. For example I am going to order for starters the Lamb Tripe and Trotters ...check the menu out for those interested in unusual food

http://www.bosvelder.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Untitled-1.pdf

The funny part is none of my friends going with me eat off cuts of meat....but they can order steaks and ribs if they want 

Then we going to a Mexican theme restaurant\bar in the early evening for the main NY party and dinner. They going to arrange a DJ so the night will be combination of great music, Tequilas and general NY revelry 🥳

I had a very eventful and enjoyable  NY night. Firstly the lunchtime restaurant we went to on the 31 was amazing, its offerings and quality of off cut meat really didnt disappoint. It had rustic decor which was part of the charm and ambiance. Massive portions of food but extremely tasty, they also had numerous drink specials where you get 4 tots for the price of 2 on  all spirits that included Brandy and Whiskey

Then the Mexican restuarant which was the main event also was great, they has a live band which played Spanish music from about 10 pm which added to the vibe. This particular restaurant obviously also had a massive Tequila selection. I love Tequila which suited me fine but this also created the only real problem for me of the evening, The manager focused on our table particularly to offer us free and different Tequilas, some of course we paid for but we had at least 3-4 free 

But then he came to me personally with a unique " Ghost pepper Tequila "  which is suppose to be hotter than the hottest measurement of the chili Scoville rating. I have never understood, or really respected it,  the Scoville rating system for heat in chili's because it seems to jump around a lot  to values in the millions but basically he said to me this is extreme heat contained in the shooter. He let us dip our finger in a bit of the Tequila to sample it

I was inebriated at this stage of the evening but in a very good way and full of Dutch  courage and it really didnt seem that hot....I decided to have one. He asked me to sign an indemnity form which I did and then I downed the Tequila....

What a mistake it was. 30 seconds later I started sweating and I had to rush to the toilet to down about a litre of water, I returned to the table but for the next 20 minutes my entire body and stomach felt like it was literally on fire 🔥 It literally sobered me up and almost ruined my appetite

I will never do that again and learned an important lesson about not eating food or drinking something on that heat level because the experience was not pleasant at all 😎

John Milton 

First day back at work in three weeks. Also the day I meet my new boss.

81091648_2665554776864598_82361755218560

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you are interviewing a candidate or employee for a position and you care about where they went to school (one college or university being superior to another in your mind) then please do me a favor. Put down your phone, close your laptop, proceed to the nearest train track, site down between the rails and await further instructions. 

It does not make a goddamned bit of difference if you earned an engineering from MIT or Northwestern Polytechnic (total enrollment 52), or wherever. If they are accredited, real universities they teach the same things. A degree from one is exactly the same as a degree from the other. They don't teach the "real math" at MIT or Cal Tech. A teacher from the Bennett College for Women is just as qualified as one from f-----g Vanderbilt. And probably a hell of a lot less in debt.

Thinking otherwise makes for a first class snob and you should immediately follow my previous instructions.

Had to get that off my chest.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Hell, we can all learn "real math" online if that were the case.

You already can. Self education is totally a real thing. The only thing you "need" from the university you are paying so much to attend is to affirm you passed their tests and fulfilled the requirements set by that state to receive that degree. Just as an example it took me seven years to complete my degree going part time. I attended less than half my classes and logged the barest minimum of lab hours because I had a full time job. Most of what I know I leaned on my own.

Sure, better instructors, better facilities, I get that. But the coefficient of static friction is still higher than kinetic friction in Boca Raton just as it is in Cambridge.

Edited by Guard Dog
Grammar
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

As I say tirelessly, education is much more about skill development than content. You've shown an employer you are capable of showing up and completing work when you show them a degree. You've learned to follow through on a long-term goal.

• Like 1

Another annoying thing is if someone has a 20 year body of work in their field where they attended school should be little more that a brief conversation point. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Some universities are better than others, also the workload and pressure they put on students also matters.  But that's really a small part of the interview, at least in the ones I've given.   I'm a pretty easy interviewer, only rejected one person out of about a dozen because he was a douche that 1) insulted my schooling before saying hi, 2) mocked our choice of DBMS and 3) bragged about some corporate award.   Did have one guy boast of being #3 in the Toronto DOTA ladder...which was pretty odd.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm thinking about learning russian. It'd help alot in my work, but I really don't feel like commiting even more to my current job. I mostly get by with pizdets and idi nahui, cyka. It's a bit crude though.

But oh so much fun. 😄

• Hmmm 1