What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

Are you Asian? 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

got unseasonal gorgeous weather here in norcal. am gonna enjoy outdoors... outdoors away from our home.

we got an enormous carob tree in our backyard which provides admirable shade and doesn't need much water.  enormous is kinda understatement. current sounds as if we are living under power lines 'cause o' all the bees pollinating the carob. is perfect kinda foliage save for one small detail: it stinks. when the carob is in bloom, it has a genuine foul odor. what kinda tree blooms in autumn anyways?

*shrug*

if you are curious, you may google what stink carob is often compared.  chances are you wouldn't believe us.

regardless, we need to put some distance 'tween our self and casa de Gromnir during daylight hours for as long as temps are nice, 'cause am not gonna wanna open our windows at back of the house for the next week or so. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why I like playing stupid tablet games: they don't require expensive pc boxes that suddenly make intermittent low pitched humming noises that you have to troubleshoot.  Or any other kind of (physical) tech troubleshooting.

Is it one of the drives? the cd player/rhe case vibrating from something? I know, let's just turn the pc off and ignore it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 11/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, Azdeus said:

Are you Asian? 😄

United aren't racists, they treat everyone equally as garbage. Going to Texas will be interesting, I guess.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 hours ago, ManifestedISO said:

nice to hold on to something during this time; happy birthday, 244

Happy Birthday my brother and to our other brother @ShadySands. Semper Fi.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 11/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Why I like playing stupid tablet games: they don't require expensive pc boxes that suddenly make intermittent low pitched humming noises that you have to troubleshoot.  Or any other kind of (physical) tech troubleshooting.

Is it one of the drives? the cd player/rhe case vibrating from something? I know, let's just turn the pc off and ignore it.

But.... that's the best part! 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have to mention  since South Africa won the Rugby WC most of the country has been gripped by understandable " Springbok fever " and we have been celebrating in different ways on an almost daily basis but its coming to an end now but what a  victory :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

didn't wanna start a new thread and couldn't think where such a post would be more appropriate. in any event, is 11:38 pacific time, so is still veterans day, which means we couldn't go to the bank today. more important we wish to express our gratitude for any and all who have served their country honorably as a member of the armed forces. 

thank you.

Edited by Gromnir
spelling fails
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

didn't wanna start a new thread and couldn't think where such a post would be more appropriate. in any event, is 11:38 pacific time, so is still veterans day, which means we couldn't go to the bank today. more important we wish to express our gratitude for any and all who have served their country honorably as a member of the armed forces. 

thank you.

Well said Gromnir, support for our armed forces in such tumultuous times always makes sense .....in most Democracies you would assume people would always support there military in the majority of reasonable initiatives and or strategies. But unfortunately its not always like that 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is freaking COLD here! WTF? The dogs water bowl in the kitchen froze over. I turned on the heater for the first time in six years just now. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yep, winter came early this year.  Nothing too bad, just irritating as hell with the snow as majority of Toronto doesn't know what a snow shovel is.   So the snow will get mashed up, heel imprints harden and it turns into this horrendously uneven surface.  

On the bright side, more coworkers working from home, so I can enjoy an emptier office.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i'm playing Diablo 2 these days and decided to make me a rune word helmet. so after i got the horadric cube, i went to kill the countess in act 1 since she drops runes. i spend a total of 7 hours of killing and re-killing her, gathering runes and combining them until i could get the high level rune i needed... then in a moment when my brain was in vacation, i used the 2 runes to make the helmet... on a blue helmet with slots instead of a regular 2 slot helmet and 7 hours of grind went down the drain since the thing doesn't work on magical items

• Gasp! 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

It is 33F here today. 1 degree for those of you who follow Anders Celsius. Feels like a warm spring day compared to the last few. The chickens even came out of their house for the first time in three days. Bella and Sunny are both still in bed. Cold mornings are hard on old doggie bones.  

Thomas Sowell

Made my daily standup meetings more bearable by playing the Top Gun soundtrack in the background.

• Like 1

here in Greece we are still going around wearing t-shirts.

that "bye for now" was a missed opportunity to quote Divinity Original Sin where some NPCs say "goodbye for now... but only for now"

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

As an alumni of the University and the d20 Society there (which, as it might sound is the tabletop Role-playing society) I've been going back to run a Pathfinder campaign over the last year. As someone who's been playing and running games since I was a wee lad back in the days of AD&D 2nd Ed, I've found it slightly quirky that about 80% of my players are ladies.

Then tonight, I turn up, and somehow.. I suddenly find myself amidst a group of 19-22 year old ladies asking me on relationship/emotional advice about dating and on dealing with the guys in their lives.

• Gasp! 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

here in Greece we are still going around wearing t-shirts.

that "bye for now" was a missed opportunity to quote Divinity Original Sin where some NPCs say "goodbye for now... but only for now"

What do you mean "here in Greece" ? I am supposed to be the guy living in Greece on this forum. Are you trying to steal my job?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Freezing cold here. Then again, it's Norway.

Went to an Edvard Munch exhibition - http://kodebergen.no/en/exhibitions/edvard-munch-there-are-worlds-within-us

and then a Nikolai Astrup one afterwards - http://kodebergen.no/en/exhibitions/nikolai-astrup-–-out-shadows

Both great in its own way. Munch's self portraits are pretty amazing, couldn't find good pictures online of any except this one

NG.M.00470_pressebilde.jpg

I stubbed my toe today against the sofa leg. It hurt a bit, then I forgot about it. A few hours later it started to hurt. Now it reached a point where I took painkillers. I may have to go see a doctor in the morning. Irony: all those years of judo and muay thai, never broke anything. Walk through the living room...

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).