What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

On 10/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, Calax said:

Lazy weekend with my girlfriend. Ended up tuning into "Meet Joe Black" which... the ending with Anthony Hopkins somehow really struck a nerve. Like a Seriously struck a nerve.

Fun but random fact - my flatmate used to play poker with Mr. Hopkins when she was a film student and he was shooting a movie nearby! Evidently he's a good player.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Going to be a great workday today, instead of the normal 8 or so people working inside on the dayshift, there is 1, and me. Already have lorries in queue for empty trailers to get to customers. >_<

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Deadly_Nightshade said:

Fun but random fact - my flatmate used to play poker with Mr. Hopkins when she was a film student and he was shooting a movie nearby! Evidently he's a good player.

OK that is pretty cool!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, Gfted1 said:

A little Googling tells me that while the utility pole is owned by the electric / cable company, they have to pay the property owner for an easement that its mounted into. YAHTZEE! Theres the next huckleberry to pin responsibility on! Man, I should do this for a living. :lol: 

If you want a really sweet deal see if you can get a cell tower built on your land. Now THAT is the gift that keeps on giving. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yearly. Fifteen years ago I was a design engineer for a cell service provider in FL. Short name, blue logo. I was talking to a guy who had a tower on his land and was negotiating a lease renewal. The company he was working with (wasn't us) was threatening the move off the tower if he didn't come off his asking price. The tower was on a long stretch of highway between Indiantown and Okeechobee FL. I asked him "How many other towers are there on the highway between the two towns?" He replied "None that I know of". I told him he was right. None. I believe he got his asking price.  

Edited by Guard Dog
Correction
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I was going to buy and download Outer Worlds today but I really have a lot to do. And i know the moment I start that all my free time will be spoken for for a while. Maybe next week. 

Thomas Sowell

Heh, I got 3D Scanned while wearing my costume at ComicCon...

EIip7vlXYAEgfxE?format=jpg&name=900x900

So now I'll be getting the stl files of myself.. So I can 3Dprint off accurate models of me in that outfit...

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hubby is happily farming loot in endgame BL3 - and you know why he can do that? Because I killed Troy for him (only took me 4 tries this time around, I had lots of practice) when he couldn't get past him. I'm a good wife like that.

.....or something. Whatever. Where's my chocolate bar.

:*:lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Got a new phone and I already kind of regret it. I get Android phones because I don't like Apple phones and this new phone copied too much stuff I don't like about my wife's iPhone.

Which one did you get ?  I sort of want the Zenfone 6 for the big battery, but at nearly $1000 can't bring myself to do it

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been having a lot of stomach issues, so my doctor ran a bunch of tests. Turns out I have bacteria in my stomach, si he is treating that, but I am also allergic to wheat and nuts. So my life is over. I can't give up beer and peanut butter.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I've been having a lot of stomach issues, so my doctor ran a bunch of tests. Turns out I have bacteria in my stomach, si he is treating that, but I am also allergic to wheat and nuts. So my life is over. I can't give up beer and peanut butter.

Well technically peanuts aren't nuts and real beer doesn't contain wheat so you should be good.

:p

Kidding, kind of. Always sucks when you learn you're not supposed to consume something you enjoy. 

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Was it H. Pylori? That's what I was dealing with when I had stomach issues. That and GERD anyway.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I convinced a co-worker/ friend to buy The Outer Worlds and he is absolutely obsessed and has a much bigger grasp on the world and plot that I do!  I kinda feel stupid now, I mean, I've been looking forward to this for years and he was a little skeptical right up until his purchase and now he's schooling me on every aspect of the game that I overlooked.  Life is strange...

Edited by ComradeMaster

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Now this REALLY sucks!

Thomas Sowell

took a lot of googling and tinkering but i managed to get Diablo 2 to run in 3dfx glide (despite Blizzard's best efforts to lock in in direct 3D). it's like a different game - the game i used to play back when i had a voodoo 2. the colors are more vibrant, the dark is darker, the effects are more detailed, the animations smoother, the lighting quality could hold up to a modern game and despite it being locked at 25fps in both cases, with glide i couldn't tell that it was not 60fps if i didn't know it.

for anyone interested, you have to use a glide emulator like dgvoodoo and make a shortcut for the game that has as target file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -3dfx

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Working in Austin Peay today. My last project wraps up today. No more budget and the whole TN government shuts down in two weeks. So the rest of the year becomes an exercise in looking busy.  I think I might put together a study on the aquatic life in the Cold Creek/Hatchee River watershed. Translation: Maybe I can go fishing and call it work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

Preparing trip to Texas.  Sadly found out the flight we booked was on United, so probably will end up getting shot en route or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra