What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

Right by my workplace, DHL parked a trailer over a year ago, I've told my bosses about it and they said they'd fix it, but the trailer hasn't moved, so I've decided to take it on myself to call and make sure they pick it up. 

DHL sent me speaking to everyone in Sweden and noone had any idea about who is responsible for it. I kind of understand why the trailer is still here.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

38 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Right by my workplace, DHL parked a trailer over a year ago, I've told my bosses about it and they said they'd fix it, but the trailer hasn't moved, so I've decided to take it on myself to call and make sure they pick it up. 

DHL sent me speaking to everyone in Sweden and noone had any idea about who is responsible for it. I kind of understand why the trailer is still here.

Geez as I always say, you Swedes are hardcore

There are about 9 million people in Sweden, I cannot believe how DHL can just expect you to speak to all of them....very unreasonable but well done for doing it. As I said HARDCORE :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There's a DHL driver that comes by here about once a day, and not even he knows who's responsible, heh..

The foreign drivers that came here last winter used the trailer as a portapotty, it's kind of gross XD

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

42 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

There's a DHL driver that comes by here about once a day, and not even he knows who's responsible, heh..

The foreign drivers that came here last winter used the trailer as a portapotty, it's kind of gross XD

Eew. There it would sit then!

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It should! I don't want to be the one to clean it out, let me tell ya! It's been stewing over the summer aswell... 🤮

The power blackouts in CA inspired me to pick up a project I'd dropped some time ago: making my house energy independent. I've been looking at how to do this for a few years and the solution is actually easy... but expensive and inconvenient.

Right now I have two solar panels for a total of 1100' sq. They are connected in series to four 12V lead acid batteries. The whole system in full sun produces 4A to charge the 240AH 48V DC system. That is connected to an inverter. The inverter's output is connected in parallel to the input from the power utility. So the house draws off both sources equally because Kirchoff said it does. It is possible to separate the two by means of a transfer switch. I already have one for my generator. But, if I put the solar system on a transfer switch I can't use it unless I disconnect the utility (via the switch). It is either/or then.  

The other problem is demand. Inverters are very inefficient because of a pair physical phenomenon called hysteresis and THD. These are problems that inverters, by design, overcome but I'll sum it up this way: it costs you power to make power. So although my battery string has a 240AH (theoretical) capacity the inefficiencies of the inverter mean we really only get a little over half in AC power capacity. As you use batteries their voltage drops. As an inverters input drops it's output drops. Household electronics do NOT like that. So I have a low voltage cut off set at 42V. My house draws between 60 and 75 amps off the utility. Shut down the AC & water heater and you cut that nearly in half. So if I keep the total demand under 40A the solar system can theoretically power the house for 3 hours give or take until the batteries are dead. But because of the LVD they will never run that long. The drain curve on those batteries at 40A has them hitting the LVD after about 50 minutes. After that.... lights out

So the trick here is to either reduce demand, increase solar system capacity, or better batteries. Well, solar panels are expensive, bulky and you only get 2A for every 300' sq of surface area. Ideally four panels each charging it's own battery is the way to go, But, they MUST be close to your house because the cabling between them and your batteries has impedance which increases with cable length. There is no perfect transmission medium. Your yard gets cluttered pretty quick. Increasing panel capacity to add batteries isn't the best way to go IMO. I was looking at replacing the  batteries with hi capacity (200 AH 12V AGM) models. Expensive. Four GNB Marathon FTX would have a capacity of 800AH with a much more gradual drop curve. At 40A they could power the house for 8 hours give or take. The idea behind using only the solar system to have sufficient capacity to keep the power on until the sun comes back up and charges the system, 

The question is if the 4A the panels produce is sufficient to charge those batteries. The answer is yes with a "but". The "but" is not in one days charging cycle. 

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

well, "you can shovel sh!7, can't you?"

all you need do is wait for the pokyclpse and then the government won't be in your business no more. can burn all the methane you want at that point.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

:lol: Nuts to that! Once the government is out of the way I'm going to dam Cold Creek and use the spillway to turn a turbine. I'll take kinetic/piezioelectric energy over this photoelectric crap any day!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

My son is full swing into the hockey season. I love watching him play the game, but I also love that they built a bar above the rinks where you can watch all the different practices and games. So I am relaxing with an IPA, watching him skate after my long and cold bike ride this morning. It's a good Saturday. 

• Like 3

Lazy weekend with my girlfriend. Ended up tuning into "Meet Joe Black" which... the ending with Anthony Hopkins somehow really struck a nerve. Like a Seriously struck a nerve.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

California is on fire again.

The Santa Rosa/Sonoma county one, the really high winds and the direction has the smell of smoke down on the Peninsula being much stronger this time than with the "Tubbs Fire." Go outside for 3 minutes, my clothes/hair smells like I was standing by a huge smokey bonfire. Inside the house is sitnky too. Air has that haze. My allergies are going nuts.

Other than that, watching hubby finish up Borderlands 3. He's getting close Troy boss, wonder if he'll get stuck for a bit there like I did, heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I went for a group trail run today on a mountain. We meet at the bottom, then drive about halfway up to the end of the paved road. Then we run about a mile and a half up to a trail head and run through the woods for awhile. It was beautiful and not too smokey, but the wind started picking up in the last couple miles. We started hearing a ton of trees creaking, and dirt and dust was kicking up all over. It was pretty intense. We saw a couple trees fall and tried to regroup near strong redwoods.

We made it out alright and got back down to the car, but on the drive down, a tree had collapsed and blocked the road. Thanfully we got out and were able to push it aside as a group. Quite an adventure!

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

California is on fire again.

The Santa Rosa/Sonoma county one, the really high winds and the direction has the smell of smoke down on the Peninsula being much stronger this time than with the "Tubbs Fire." Go outside for 3 minutes, my clothes/hair smells like I was standing by a huge smokey bonfire. Inside the house is sitnky too. Air has that haze. My allergies are going nuts.

Other than that, watching hubby finish up Borderlands 3. He's getting close Troy boss, wonder if he'll get stuck for a bit there like I did, heh.

It's not a game I'm really interested in, but damn if that soundtrack isn't awesome...

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

What with PG&E already sued into oblivion, who will be the scapegoat for this round of fire damage?

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/10/28/pge-reports-lafayette-fires-may-have-been-caused-by-its-equipment/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 10/27/2019 at 7:10 PM, Hurlshot said:

We made it out alright and got back down to the car, but on the drive down, a tree had collapsed and blocked the road. Thanfully we got out and were able to push it aside as a group. Quite an adventure!

Sounds like what we were always getting ourselves into back in our late teens/early 20's. eg, sounds like fun.  Why are those things always so much fun on hindsight.

23 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It's not a game I'm really interested in, but damn if that soundtrack isn't awesome...

There are some tracks from the first two games that I like better, but overall BL3 does have a good soundtrack. It fits/enhances the combat pulse quite well most of the time, it's just not one I'd listen to outside of the game, if that makes sense.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Third paragraph made me lol. They're just going to have to shut everything down because they bankrupt. Even the utility poles randomly fall over! :lol:

Wonder if they've cut maintenance over the years.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In my 49 laps around the sun, Ive never seen a utility pole "fall" unless it was struck by a vehicle. They don't rot and are treated against insects. Oh well. :shrugz:

I wonder if the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection actually does anything about the thousands of acres that needs clearing?

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

In my 49 laps around the sun, Ive never seen a utility pole "fall" unless it was struck by a vehicle. They don't rot and are treated against insects. Oh well. :shrugz:

I wonder if the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection actually does anything about the thousands of acres that needs clearing?

I hear they have invested in a few rakes.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Trump-s-claim-of-poor-California-forest-13400503.php

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I've seen some come close to falling, even here in Toronto there are some that list pretty badly - poor tension management I guess.  May also be a case of them not keeping the lines clear of branches.  

A little Googling tells me that while the utility pole is owned by the electric / cable company, they have to pay the property owner for an easement that its mounted into. YAHTZEE! Theres the next huckleberry to pin responsibility on! Man, I should do this for a living. :lol: 

I logged in because new game is good and thought "damn, these dudes are all still here."

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?