What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

49 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I've been contemplating the idea of running a marathon, and if I did that, then I'd probably want to try and qualify for Boston. My regular running group has a bunch of people that qualified for Boston this year, and it has definitely been fun to watch them on that journey. But it is a pretty ambitious time for my age group. At 41, you need a 3:10 time to qualify, which is about a 7:15 mile pace. I can do that pace for a long time. I mean, with good conditions and a fairly flat road, I can hold that for a half marathon. But I've never actually run more than 15 miles, and I know it gets super hard to keep the pace going. Most people seem to hit a wall around mile 17-18, an again around mile 23. So yeah, just bouncing it around right now. I'd probably train for a year to get ready.

Hats off to you for the tremendous level of fitness you have achieved. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 10/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Win10's Defender kept auto-deleting/not letting me copy over an .exe file it deemed dangerous and the only way I could find to make it stop  (simply, easily) was to blanket exempt all .exe's, not just that specific one. What idiocy.

It's been a while since I used any of my old trainers that typically get blocked, but I don't think you are many steps away from specifying  what file you want off their lists.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I've been contemplating the idea of running a marathon, and if I did that, then I'd probably want to try and qualify for Boston. My regular running group has a bunch of people that qualified for Boston this year, and it has definitely been fun to watch them on that journey. But it is a pretty ambitious time for my age group. At 41, you need a 3:10 time to qualify, which is about a 7:15 mile pace. I can do that pace for a long time. I mean, with good conditions and a fairly flat road, I can hold that for a half marathon. But I've never actually run more than 15 miles, and I know it gets super hard to keep the pace going. Most people seem to hit a wall around mile 17-18, an again around mile 23. So yeah, just bouncing it around right now. I'd probably train for a year to get ready.

Haha, every time I read your fitness updates I get cramps 😛

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Here's a reminder that we all used to use Windows 7 for a decade without any of those terribly obnoxious security features and never got viruses without them. Well, I didn't, at least, :p.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

haven't done it yet, but i was thinking of a way to bypass the need for an adapter to connect my GPU's display port to the screens VGA. so i came up with the idea to plug in an old HD4850 with a VGA output and connect that to the screen. the basic idea is for my RX470 to do the work and then pass the signal through the HD4850 to send to the screen. this way i avoid the myriad of drawbacks the adapter has, but i don't know if it can be done and what impact it may have on performance. google has been very unhelpful in search for info on the subject so i guess i'll have to go with trial and error... or send a request to AMD's support for info on if it can be done and how

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Was "headhunted" for a job, with promises of really nice pay (better than my profession usually gives). They made it really clear that I was the only candidate. After the interview, they said they didn't even want to interview anyone else.

Then the offer came, and it was much much lower than they originally said.

Didn't even get an apology from them when I brought it up. Thanks for wasting my time, ****.

Life in Initech gets better as we are to be slaves to biweekly planning sessions. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

there was a problem with my experiment... i can't find the old HD4850 anywhere.

well, i guess when the time comes to get a new PC, i'll get a new screen with it

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

When a 2-step stool isn't tall enough to let you reach the last couple inches (edit - even on  your most tippy of toes), you don't have a 3 step, there's no counter to stand on, and your tall husband isn't home.  🙃

tooshort09.jpg

...there's spots like that in bathroom and kitchen, where humidity, open windows and greasy steam means walls that need a light sponge cleaning once or twice a year. Also, the top of the range-hood is gross. I can't see it (or the top of the fridge, or anything half a foot or so taller than me.... ), so to me it doesn't exist - until I get on a stool for something else one day and suddenly get a reminder.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Met up with a friend yesterday, had Japanese food. Excellent Sashimi 😋

Then we went and saw The Joker. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. A Gotham City movie with no explosions, cape wearing super heroes or any of the usual trademarks. A very interesting movie about a naive guy, who gets gradually worn down by society, his mother, himself and eventually cracks after enough having taken enough abuse, both physically and psychologically. The trailer for Pavarotti looked like it could be an interesting movie too.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

since i took the time to clean my keyboard and removed all keys from it, i decided to also fix a problem that has been driving me crazy since i got it: the fact that the left shift required me to press it very hard to make contact. so, since the keys were out, i took a file and ground the base a bit (half mm or so) and now the key makes contact without any effort. it could be a defect on just this keyboard or could be bad design on this model in general but whatever the case, i won't be buying a logitech keyboard again because most of all i don't like the key layout

-Teknoman2-

i think i'll get an external drive and use it to make ISOs of every old game i have on CD/DVD. the drives are getting out of fashion and soon they won't even be supported by motherboards anymore.

-Teknoman2-

Loading up the camper, truck, and of course Sunny & Bella for four days of camping, fishing, and canine hijinks at Chemin-A-Haut State Park in Louisiana. Tropical Storm Nestor may f--k this all up however. Watching....

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The vacation is now a staycation. That Tropical Storm is going to drag a lot of rain in behind it. Might go camp at my place upstate. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Huge weekend for the Rugby World Cup and numerous games

England is first team through to semi-finals , New Zealand vs Ireland and  of course the most important game tomorrow, South Africa vs Japan. We should win but the courageous Japanese shouldnt be underestimated 🏉

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

South Africa just won so they through to the semi-finals, so the last 4 teams are NZ, Wales, England and SA

SA plays Wales next and hopefully England beats NZ next weekend .......a SA vs England final will be ideal :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My girl got put under today for her cheek lump and thankfully it was just an abscess and not another tumor. She's hating life right now but it's good to know that she hasn't had any new tumors.

Went to a concert in Boulder last night with my wife and her friend and all I can say is that I'm old and I can't do it like I used to. We were laughing on the way there that we were going to a concert at what should be our bed times.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

My girl got put under today for her cheek lump and thankfully it was just an abscess and not another tumor. She's hating life right now but it's good to know that she hasn't had any new tumors.

Went to a concert in Boulder last night with my wife and her friend and all I can say is that I'm old and I can't do it like I used to. We were laughing on the way there that we were going to a concert at would should be our bed times.

The secret to sustainability at these events is simple....Tequila :thumbsup: 

Before you get there have about 5-7 shooters and you should be fine and loving life 

John Milton 

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Went to a concert in Boulder last night with my wife and her friend and all I can say is that I'm old and I can't do it like I used to. We were laughing on the way there that we were going to a concert at would should be our bed times.

Now that is what you call a good news - bad news post! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

I'm right there on the early bed times. Haven't seen 10 PM in ages. :p

I ran a 10k yesterday at my target 7:15 pace. It was difficult. I need to figure out a way to hydrate better on the runs, because I was a bit light headed when I stopped. But it did feel good to sustain the pace and I was able to increase speed on the second half of the run. Still a long ways to go, but I have about a year to get there. 🏃‍♂️

73515672_10157834163240746_6707760471262

The last minute rush before MCM Comic-Con London on Friday.

Currently sewing heroically. Tomorrow will be spent sorting out the strapping of the armour and the appropriate padding for it all....

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have had an excellent day so far, I passed an exam I have been studying for and tonight one of my customers is sponsoring an event around an advanced hacking seminar  and how customers can be exploited. There is going to be some ex-hacker from the UK  who is only 17 and  is apparently going to demonstrate live how devices can be compromised and how data can be stolen

Interestingly the customer is an asset manager but clearly this type of risk matters to them so it will be very interesting to see how the hacker operates 8)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Interestingly the customer is an asset manager but clearly this type of risk matters to them so it will be very interesting to see how the hacker operates 8)

You'll most likely be bored unless you're into technical stuff and watching textoutput. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.