What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

Nah, you need to get away Azdeus. Leave your phones, laptops, etc behind. Find some remote place faraway from everything and just go fishing for a few days. The stress that modern life creates is killing us all. The things we own, own us all. Just walk way from it all for a little while. 

Just my $.02

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, a break from my job would be nice, which is part of the problem though; There is noone to take my place, and so they deny all my requests for vacation. 😕

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, a break from my job would be nice, which is part of the problem though; There is noone to take my place, and so they deny all my requests for vacation. 😕

Sounds like good leverage for negotiating a raise

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We have negotiations in september, though I am pretty certain that I am going to be blocked by the union. They refuse to anyone getting a higher raise than anyone else. Unless they're part of the union leadership ofcourse...

I am getting a 100$ "add-on" on my pay though, but it's not going to count towards being able to get a bankloan or anything like that since it's not a permanent raise.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Anyone else remember these? They're from the 50's originally I believe. My mom had one and I loved it. I need such a thing more than ever now (rubber circles are no longer quite enough at times) but all the new fangled jar openers are too bizarre, too large/awkward, too cheap/annoying. One store on the web apparently is making or at least selling the one I like again (or something) but I don't know them from Adam, so do I go for it. A reseller on Amazon has it but they're charging more than twice the price of the actual webstore, lol. Anyone have a fave jar opener tool they like? I need grip twist/leverage strength, one-hand tool (other hand on jar).

gil.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Rubarbarian said:

I bought tickets to local music fest.

I dont know much about Jazz but this looks great, I would definitely  buy a ticket for a day 🎹 🍻

Edited by BruceVC
Mistake

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the engine of my brother's car overheated a bit when he strained it to go uphill. its a 20 year old car and the engine has had problems before and burns oil. so he stopped to let it cool down a bit and despite my warning to not do it, he decided to open the cap for the coolant to see if the tank is full. being very hot and in a pressurized system, the coolant formed a small geyser as soon as the cap was off and burned him from head to toe but mostly the right hand that he used to open the cap and cover his face. fortunately none of it went in his eyes and he had a towel over the cap when he opened it (used it because it was too hot to touch, which should have been a warning to leave it be) and that protected him a bit from worse burns. as soon as it happened i grabbed some bottles of water and poured it on him to wash off the boiling coolant and cool down the skin and we went  straight to the hospital where they kept him for 2 hours with an IV full of painkillers and antibiotics, because all burns are considered infected wounds by default. thanks to the quick washing off, most burns  on his torso and head did only superficial damage to the skin that will be healed in a couple of days but his right hand is now almost double in size and red like a soviet flag from the heat it absorbed but the actual damage is not serious because the coolant did not stay on for too long.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

That is terrible! It could have been a lot worse though. Hope he heals quick

Thomas Sowell

My sympathies to your brother, but he was warned :)

I saw a volvo 960 on an auctionsite today, 350$. The springs has been cut away and they've drilled the levelling system, but the straight six and gearbox is in good condition, so are the bumpers, headlights, bonnet, grille  and side wings. I'm thinking about buying it, putting the gearbox and engine in my Volvo 240, and the bumpers, wings, headlights, bonnet, grille on my Volvo 940.

A straight six Volvo 240 and a Volvo 940 with 960 trim for the price of 350$ + whatever the cost of painting the parts would be. 

It's a bad thing having to little to do during the workdays, I get all kinds of stupid ideas. 😛

i actually blame my mother for it. his car was supposed to be scrapped 4 years ago when the engine was blown because the coolant pump died during a trip and the car just shut down on its own due to overheating. my mother, for sentimental reasons, decided to pay herself for a new engine but for a then 16 year old car, the only possible engine would be from a scrapyard and so it was that an engine barely in better condition than his original dead engine was put in the car and he's been fixing it ever since. with all the money that was wasted to keep that car, he could have gotten a much newer used car that would have none of the problems

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

This week one of brothers and his family is down from Durban, so tonight  we all going to this  steakhouse that apparently makes delicious ribs..Im very excited as I love ribs and Im always ready to try another recommendation

https://www.hussargrill.co.za/find-us/western-cape/mouille-point/

Then I have to work on a tender response which is going to take most of the weekend so I dont see myself doing much except for that o:)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I cut the cord today. I discontinued DirecTV.  I have just one television and I hardly ever watch it. I still have Hulu, Amazon, & NetFlix so there is still plenty to not watch. SiriusXM has become my primary entertainment. Tonight it's Classic Vinyl, a few glasses of Four Roses small batch, a sunset and then later stars. 

The older I get the more I have come to realize I prefer life simple. I'd have saved myself a lot of heartbreak and money if I'd only realized it long ago. 

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

13 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I cut the cord today. I discontinued DirecTV.  I have just one television and I hardly ever watch it. I still have Hulu, Amazon, & NetFlix so there is still plenty to not watch. SiriusXM has become my primary entertainment. Tonight it's Classic Vinyl, a few glasses of Four Roses small batch, a sunset and then later stars. 

The older I get the more I have come to realize I prefer life simple. I'd have saved myself a lot of heartbreak and money if I'd only realized it long ago. 

Geez GD, I wouldnt want you to impact and harm your quality of life too much in your well meaning objective of " cutting the umbilical  cord of being connected " ...

You have clearly made some serious steps in discontinuing DirecTV but now you only have access to  pirate bay, live streaming, gaming, online gaming, Hulu,  Amazon, HBO and Netflix...Im concerned you are not going to survive by removing yourself from all access to the digital world ....dont be a hater 

:p

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 1

John Milton 

Actually Bruce you know what I love to watch? Don't laugh. It's https://www.dogtv.com/

I've had it for years. I leave it on for the girls when I'm not home. Tommy would actually watch it. And I have to admit there is something almost mesmerizing about it. The video seems a little odd at times because of it's refresh rate (dogs eye see faster than 60 hz so when watching TV they see not just the picture but the blank spaces in between). Sometimes the video is just a swirl of colors and odd sounds, some of which you can't even hear (they can). It really is meant to entertain dogs. But I find it hypnotizing.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Plans for today:

large-cremation_urns_wilbert_burial_vaul

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Witnessed something pretty odd today. An anti-Islamist organization had a demonstration against Islam in a park downtown, with hundreds of counter-protesters showing up and making a lot of noise. At the same time, maybe only 30-40 metres from all this noise and chaos, a couple was getting married. They were seemingly unfazed through it all. I wonder if they cursed their timing, or whether they found some humor in it.

• Hmmm 1

Followed Cold Creek to the river to do some fishing. Didn't get a nibble. Read a book, took a nap on the riverbank with Sunny & Bella. Watched them splash in the water. Walked back. Going to make some veggie soup and iced tea for dinner and catch the Marlins vs Rays on the radio. Life is good. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Had a mammography, my doctor thought I had breastcancer, shockingly, it turned out to be just gynecomastia - a known sideeffect of the medicines I'm on. 

at login, the forum asked me to update my info with my birth date... so i put today

• Like 2

-Teknoman2-

A while back, I wrote this post:

They ended up murdering some of their family instead. I guess that takes care of that. ...At least it wasn't me?

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.