Politics: The Final Frontier

Amentep

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That fake Democrat would do anything for attention, fancy using military service to boost your profile. Shameless. Then again she's only running because she wants a cabinet or VP position and has no actual chance so why bother voting for her. Did you know she also didn't like gays 20 years ago, or is a big fan of gAssad and wants him to run Israel? Plus she only gets attention due to Russian bots or because she's pretty and she hasn't guaranteed she won't do a 3rd party run and support Hillary Joe when he inevitably wins the nomination because she's so awesome.

No no no, I haven't joined Shareblue and am not running through an obvious sponsored list of talking points with no regard to context or the person I'm replying to- only Russians run influence campaigns and the only shills and bots on the internet are people who disagree with me.

(Think I hit every note for the typical reply every time Gabbard is mentioned on reddit/ FB/ Twitter- including the self contradictory ones like running as a 3rd party candidate and only running to get a cabinet position- except for the enormous 'spontaneous' and totally not potted list of links illustrating her badthink)

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

First I was glad I didn't go to the Garlic Festival, then these two incidents.

imo the biggest issue is really still the sheer number of guns in the US, legal and not legal. Even with better checks or if state/gov started required licenses to purchase ANY guns (eg, like needing a drivers license, with training and checks and fees included in the registration etc), it'd still be easy to get hands on one if one is determined, I'd guess. I have no idea how you'd reduce them effectively at this point, however. It would take a long time and a lot of shaking up which I doubt is going to happen any time soon, if it's doable at all. At any rate ... gun injury/deaths in the US (not just "mass shootings" which get most of the mega-press) is way too high and countless years of production and piling up of merchandise and the ease of acquiring them (by any means) is not going to be solved by stricter "background checks" or whatever.

It's always the same circular (official gov. and armchairs alike) talking points every time incidents like these become a major news story and nothing ever changes. Maybe in another 50 years.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

SwampWetlands.jpg

Kakistocracy in action. ...I'm fairly certain that my browser thought "kakistocracy" wasn't a word a year or two ago, and now it does. Hmm.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There's a difference between an hour of standup and over 2 hours of Joe talking when he's had a dime.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, KaineParker said:

There's a difference between an hour of standup and over 2 hours of Joe talking when he's had a dime.

am only knowing rogan from news radio and from his moon hoax nonsense. thought news radio were funny. thought neil degrasse tyson revealing depth and breadth o' rogan's willful ignorance were also funny... though mr. tyson were trying to be as polite as possible. only stuff we know rogan from has been funny, though am suspecting joe weren't going for laughs with his moon hoax position.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

57 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

" They've also declined to answer questions about whether any employers had been arrested or would face charges. "

Seems odd to be coy about that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

" They've also declined to answer questions about whether any employers had been arrested or would face charges. "

Seems odd to be coy about that.

Well this operation was just a shameful roundup of future patriots. The plant owner will be buried in state and federal charges. Plus, hes got nobody to staff the shifts! :lol:

'Undocumented'. Follow the laws. I'm a Kanadian citizen and I still need ID to buy booze,  drive, smoke (I don't smoke or drive), and do a host of other things. Why are people so against  this stuff that actual citizens are expected to follow? Certainly, SA coutnries wouldn't want a bunch of undocumnbeted Kanadians running amok in their countries?

Oh, but these 'undocumented' are refugees from hoME horrible conditions.... but, don't dare refer tot heir home countries as '****holes' as that is 'racist' despite them fleeing them.

Why would anyone flee awesome countries risking their very lives and freedom to go to a ****hole country like the US that has mass shootings and is full of hateful racists and sexists? MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE.

p.s. Also, of interest, is the rweaction when Amerikans/Kanadians/Westerners end up in legal trouble in non western countries. It is often 'they asked for it', 'gotta follow the laws of the country your in no matter what' but  visitors to western countries don't have to? Weird.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I shouldn't have to point out but I will I'm not anti immigrant. I work with  more than a few and   99.9% of them are good people but from my understanding they came the legal way. And, every single one of them mentions how the process can be grueling but is ultimately worth iut. Hell, one even mentioned one 'rule' he has to follow that I find is stupid. He is a young guy who came for school. He was limited  for a while on how many hours he could work. I think it was 25 or something like that. I thought it was dumb but he followed it. IMAGIEN THAT. Someone followed the alw. (I would change this law it is dumb).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know youre not anti-immigration :thumbsup:. Ive had positive experiences with immigrants too. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale during the Mariel boatlift and somehow we wound up taking in a boarder. One of the nicest, hardest working, person I have ever met. He eventually moved out and bought his own house. He was so proud to invite us over and show us. I still remember his name, Rolando. Huh.

Anywho, I was originally for complete unrestricted immigration. Throw up a new statue on the TX / MX border and form a line. But apparently that's an economy wrecker so they selfishly impose immigration limits per year. Rat bastages.

I say work permits for anyone who wants one. Make them legal, make them pay tax like the rest of us. No more fear of the knock on the door in the middle of the night. However, no path to citizenship from a work permit. THAT is the trade off, Of course, children born here ARE citizens. Here is the thing the anti-immigrant yahoos don't get. The appeal of migrant workers is you can abuse them, under pay them, exploit them and they can't complain. If they all have legal standing now the HAVE to be paid at least the minimum wage and have workman's comp and access to social services like every other legal resident. That will put a damper on demand for their serivices which might even reduce their numbers. No thinks outside the box any more. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

51 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Where did you read it is an economy wrecker?

Republicans.

43 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I say work permits for anyone who wants one. Make them legal, make them pay tax like the rest of us. No more fear of the knock on the door in the middle of the night. However, no path to citizenship from a work permit. THAT is the trade off, Of course, children born here ARE citizens. Here is the thing the anti-immigrant yahoos don't get. The appeal of migrant workers is you can abuse them, under pay them, exploit them and they can't complain. If they all have legal standing now the HAVE to be paid at least the minimum wage and have workman's comp and access to social services like every other legal resident. That will put a damper on demand for their serivices which might even reduce their numbers. No thinks outside the box any more. 

While I might disagree with not allowing a path to citizenship on work permits, (or maybe work permits alone, there should be a path to citizenship if they want it, as long as Conservatives don't interpret it as amnesty, whatever that means anymore), something like what you propose could help resolve the shortage in low-mid skill workers. Quote from that article: " One of the driving factors behind the “enormous growth” of undocumented immigrants living in the US in the 1990s and 2000s is the lack of legal avenues for low-skilled immigrants to work in the United States, write Madeleine Sumption and Demetrios Papademetriou at the Migration Policy Institute. "

Of course though, immigration hawks apparently don't understand that (or perhaps understand why Americans don't take the jobs) and would rather zero out immigration completely.