Politics: The Final Frontier

Amentep

7 hours ago, Elerond said:

It is in original articles that told about those supplies that were left to rot 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-water-bottles-meant-puerto-ricos-hurricane-maria/story?id=57782040

At least a thousand pallets of water bottles, meant for Hurricane Maria survivors, were left to rot under the Puerto Rican sun.

That is what Angelo Cruz Ramos, the mayor of Ceiba, told ABC News about what happened to thousands and thousands of water bottles that are sitting on the tarmac at the former naval base, Roosevelt Roads.

Cruz Ramos did not know the water was there and only found out when the images, posted to Facebook on Sept. 11, went viral, he said. The area is a restricted zone, so he is not been able to approach it.

This is a good article and explains your point, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, TrueNeutral said:

Looks like the English looked at Trump and decided "we need a bootleg version".

:lol: Too bad. We'd have offered them a great deal on the real thing

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

According to this poll 69% of Americans don't trust their government or political leaders. 64% don't trust the media: https://news.yahoo.com/us-mistrust-rise-government-seen-worst-poll-174533655.html

Just when I get to thinking we're lost a poll like this come along and restores a little hope. Gotta get those numbers up a little, at least over 70% on each. Because such things should NOT be trusted because they are not trustworthy. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

100% of americans could not trust the government or media and it wouldn't mean a damn thing if they did nothing but vote in elections and complain on the internet. 

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Predictably, Putin didn't waste the opportunity to point out last month that the UK is less democratic than Russia because British voters didn't actually get to vote for their next PM.

Given current fragmentation of support, it's doubtful that Johnson could win an actual election by himself. However Corbyn is, as usual, content to clown around, and left voters don't have two neurons to rub together as evidenced by a majority of them buying into the antisemitism accusations... so you never know.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

It was inevitable.

Boris Johnson's Trumplikeness aside, there is still potential for fireworks as a good chunk of his party (and likely a good chunk of the rest of Parliament) are threatening to revolt if he tries to force through no-deal Brexit. To the point of having a plan that would involve the Queen, though it's more like leverage rather than actually going through with it.

There's still a chance of course, of no-deal Brexit going through whether Johnson is trying to force it through or not.

Edited by smjjames

I mean what are other options if they don't want deal and don't want no-deal? sounds pretty schizophrenic to me.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

https://www.newsweek.com/afghanistan-president-clarification-trump-kill-10-million-people-1450709

"I could win that war in a week. I just don't want to kill 10 million people,"

Trump said. "I have plans on Afghanistan that if I wanted to win that war, Afghanistan would be wiped off the face of the earth, it would be gone. It would be over in, literally, in 10 days. And I don't want to go that route."

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thomas Sowell

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49084605

Now its time to support Boris Johnson so we can finalize BREXIT one way or another, his intention is now to leave the EU by the 30 October which is the extended EU deadline

The UK must either leave with no deal or not leave by this date as this uncertainty is destabilizing everything . The UK parliament cannot seem to agree on anything else so now its up to Johnson to make the difficult but necessary decisions

Either way there will be both economic and political disruption but if England can win the WC then they can weather this storm....but its time now for decisive action that the well meaning but failed Theresa May approach attempted :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Biggest protest in the world, not Hongkong but US colony instead. I'm surprised  because colonies exist still and I surprised  even more because last colony in the world is US colony. US has been born through colonial rebellion against British metropoly in the past but become last metropoly in own turn now. This is so ironic.  

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49084605

Now its time to support Boris Johnson so we can finalize BREXIT one way or another, his intention is now to leave the EU by the 30 October which is the extended EU deadline

The UK must either leave with no deal or not leave by this date as this uncertainty is destabilizing everything . The UK parliament cannot seem to agree on anything else so now its up to Johnson to make the difficult but necessary decisions

Either way there will be both economic and political disruption but if England can win the WC then they can weather this storm....but its time now for decisive action that the well meaning but failed Theresa May approach attempted :thumbsup:

He could show that he means what he say and make UK leave EU as his first action as prime minister. As he says that he wants hard/no-deal brexit as clearly do people who voted him to become PM so there is no need to negotiate with EU and wait that extended deadline by EU.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Elerond said:

He could show that he means what he say and make UK leave EU as his first action as prime minister. As he says that he wants hard/no-deal brexit as clearly do people who voted him to become PM so there is no need to negotiate with EU and wait that extended deadline by EU.

Yes, this post is fundamentally true in the sense Johnson doesn't need or particularly want to negotiate with the EU. He won the Conservative Party nomination by 60%, the UK is a Democracy and we need to respect there Parliamentary system and rules so yes I predict he will guide the UK to leaving the EU with no deal

John Milton 

1 hour ago, ktchong said:

ldz51zr543c31.png

calling bs. 

$8.6 trillion debt were added by obama. $5.6 trillion were added by george w bush. as such, single year deficits numbers is gonna be misleading... if you are a "moron." % debt increase can be a flawed approach and so too may dollar increase w/o adjusting for year, but is not gonna be a big adjust from obama to bush. am suspecting largest debt increase with adjusted 2019 dollars as measure would be fdr, but y'know, decreased revenue from great depression plus new deal and war makes for kinda unique circumstances. 'course population were also 'bout 1/3 what it is today, so...

as an aside, trump is on pace to add $5 trillion in first term. before obama and trump took office, expectations were that there would be an increase in debt for both guys in spite o' obama being democrat and trump being a republican promising debt reduction. after all, both Presidents were s'posed committed to grand infrastructure plans which always cost money short-term. 'tween corporate bailouts, stimulus and obamacare, there were no money in the till for obama to consider meaningful and major infrastructure... and lord only knows what debt increases would look like if trump had cut taxes for rich, increased defense spending and implemented infrastructure overhaul. 'course trump couldn't find a way to get an infrastructure overhaul done during first two years when he had republicans controlling both houses o' Congress in spite o' fact infrastructure overhaul had largely bipartisan support. sure, republicans and democrats disagreed on how to pay for infrastructure, but if art of the deal guy can't work out a compromise for something both parties wanted, what does that say 'bout likelihood o' trump getting anything more contentious passed before the next election? 

regardless, calling bs on this deficit nonsense. obama increased debt by ludicrous amounts. trump is doing similar debt increase w/o having great recession to blame. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

calling bs. 

$8.6 trillion debt were added by obama. $5.6 trillion were added by george w bush. as such, single year deficits numbers is gonna be misleading... if you are a "moron." % debt increase can be a flawed approach and so too may dollar increase w/o adjusting for year, but is not gonna be a big adjust from obama to bush. am suspecting largest debt increase with adjusted 2019 dollars as measure would be fdr, but y'know, decreased revenue from great depression plus new deal and war makes for kinda unique circumstances. 'course population were also 'bout 1/3 what it is today, so...

as an aside, trump is on pace to add $5 trillion in first term. before obama and trump took office, expectations were that there would be an increase in debt for both guys in spite o' obama being democrat and trump being a republican promising debt reduction. after all, both Presidents were s'posed committed to grand infrastructure plans which always cost money short-term. 'tween corporate bailouts, stimulus and obamacare, there were no money in the till for obama to consider meaningful and major infrastructure... and lord only knows what debt increases would look like if trump had cut taxes for rich, increased defense spending and implemented infrastructure overhaul. 'course trump couldn't find a way to get an infrastructure overhaul done during first two years when he had republicans controlling both houses o' Congress in spite o' fact infrastructure overhaul had largely bipartisan support. sure, republicans and democrats disagreed on how to pay for infrastructure, but if art of the deal guy can't work out a compromise for something both parties wanted, what does that say 'bout likelihood o' trump getting anything more contentious passed before the next election? 

regardless, calling bs on this deficit nonsense. obama increased debt by ludicrous amounts. trump is doing similar debt increase w/o having great recession to blame. 

HA! Good Fun!

Hi Gromnir, welcome back. I was wondering where you have been, I have  missed your comments and insights :thumbsup:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, ktchong said:

ldz51zr543c31.png

OK, spending deficits are bad. But the real measure is debt. In 2009 on the day he was sworn in the US debt was $10.6T. The day he left office it was $20T (19.947 actually). He nearly doubled it. It also bears mentioning that through much of his second term the US did not have a set budget. Just a continuing succession of spending resolutions. I really don't know why I'm bothering to even respond to this. It's not like you are someone with whom a rational discussion can be had. There are no good Presidents in recent memory. Clinton's surplus came as a result of a Republican congress who literally shut the government down over excessive spending. Would that that Republican Party were still around.  Well, they are not. Now it's spend more, and spend more faster. 

Edit: Gromnir beat me to it by a  minute

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

One man's opinion the 2020 election will be close: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/454323-top-strategist-projects-narrow-electoral-college-victory-for-democrats

You know what would be funny as hell? Trump wins the popular vote, loses the electoral vote.... except: the three states that have changed their elector selection to the popular vote have to give their electors to him and THAT pushes him over the top. THAT would be funny as hell. Maybe then the Democrats will STFU about the electoral system. 

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

OK, spending deficits are bad. But the real measure is debt. In 2009 on the day he was sworn in the US debt was $10.6T. The day he left office it was $20T (19.947 actually). He nearly doubled it. It also bears mentioning that through much of his second term the US did not have a set budget. Just a continuing succession of spending resolutions. I really don't know why I'm bothering to even respond to this. It's not like you are someone with whom a rational discussion can be had. There are no good Presidents in recent memory. Clinton's surplus came as a result of a Republican congress who literally shut the government down over excessive spending. Would that that Republican Party were still around.  Well, they are not. Now it's spend more, and spend more faster. 

I would guess you are responding to him for similar reasons I sometimes respond to him, I find his comments to be normally about race-baiting ( intentionally made to upset, vilify  and frustrate white people in this case ) and uninformed generalizations or just commentary on something arbitrary which he then formulates as a " conclusion " about a certain perceived reality or outcome 

For me I sometimes hear this  on talk shows and in the SA media where I dont get to ever respond so ktchong becomes symbolic for people and there  views  I dont normally get to dispute or discuss with  🤓

I dont expect him to actually respond but I do enjoy being able to comment on what he posts 

John Milton 

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

I would guess you are responding to him for similar reasons I sometimes respond to him, I find his comments to be normally about race-baiting ( intentionally made to upset, vilify  and frustrate white people in this case ) and uninformed generalizations or just commentary on something arbitrary which he then formulates as a " conclusion " about a certain perceived reality or outcome 

For me I sometimes hear this  on talk shows and in the SA media where I dont get to ever respond so ktchong becomes symbolic for people and there  views  I dont normally get to dispute or discuss with  🤓

I dont expect him to actually respond but I do enjoy being able to comment on what he posts 

He's not going to respond. And if he does it will be a rant tinged with more than a little racism. Ktchong is not a real poster. Hell, he isn't even a troll. He's the guy that runs naked into the room, s---s in the floor and dances around it while screaming incoherently then runs out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

One man's opinion the 2020 election will be close: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/454323-top-strategist-projects-narrow-electoral-college-victory-for-democrats

You know what would be funny as hell? Trump wins the popular vote, loses the electoral vote.... except: the three states that have changed their elector selection to the popular vote have to give their electors to him and THAT pushes him over the top. THAT would be funny as hell. Maybe then the Democrats will STFU about the electoral system. 

Are you talking about the National Popular Vote thing? Not sure which states you mean.