Politics: The Final Frontier

Amentep

Ok,  I just thought this was funny as hell 

45070B29-908E-4C81-A1C4-C0A7B8637488.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, he said "you", your stuff is another story...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

21 minutes ago, Malcador said:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So the US says is shot down an Iranian drone. Iran says we shot down out own drone? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/07/19/iran-disputes-trump-claim-u-s-navy-destroyed-its-drone/1775051001/

Who is right? Who cares for the moment. Just imagine this exchange:

*Phone rings in the situation room*

USAF General: "Mr. President I'm sorry to report the Iranians have shot down another one of our drones"

President Trump: "Very well

*hangs up*

*phone rings again*

Navy Admiral: "Mr. President I'm please to report we just shot down an Iranian drone!"

hCC5A0A3E

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

Iran does seem rather calm for having one of it's drones shot down. If that's the case, *insert Trump double facepalm pic*

Also, if it's really the case of having one of our drones shot down, that'd be a bad case of combined friendly fire and possibly confirmation bias on the part of the crew.

Also2, it may also be possible that it belongs to some third actor, but the proof is now at the bottom of the Strait.

Skarpen, do you own stock in a prison or something? 

Nobody in their right mind is saying we should release murderers and rapists and other violent offenders. Pretty much everything I've seen has been calling for low level offenders generally ones with possession charges of personal use amounts of drugs. Some of these plans also have some decent bipartisan support and Trump has already supported and signed the First Step Act.

If you want to keep taking all the worst cases and applying them across the board then I guess that's your windmill to tilt at

Free games updated 3/4/21

People just love to drop the hammer.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well, they are supposed to be representatives for their district, so Trump is really speaking to everyone who voted for them.

44 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Well, they are supposed to be representatives for their district, so Trump is really speaking to everyone who voted for them.

Oh I wouldn't hold that against the voters much if I were him. Three of the four never held office before... much like someone else I could think of. You don't really know what you're going to get. Of course if they get re-elected, well, it IS on them after that. Much like someone else I could think of! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I don't get the Lincoln joke.

That's 'cause yer ah gahddamned noatherner! 

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

The South didn't like the country so they tried to leave it

PS and if I'm not mistaken one of the original plans for abolishing slavery was for them to leave the country afterwards

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 1

Wait, you were being serious? You know, 1861 seven states told the rest "so long" and seceded. Five more joined shortly after? Confexit? We fought a war over it. 

In other news many of the Dem candidates are spending campaign funds faster than they raise them: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/presidential-campaigns-burn-through-cash-faster-than-they-bring-it-in

Well, they are better qualified to be President than I though. They will fit right into the role. 

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, smjjames said:

Iran does seem rather calm for having one of it's drones shot down. If that's the case, *insert Trump double facepalm pic*

Also, if it's really the case of having one of our drones shot down, that'd be a bad case of combined friendly fire and possibly confirmation bias on the part of the crew.

Also2, it may also be possible that it belongs to some third actor, but the proof is now at the bottom of the Strait.

The suggestion the US shot one of its own drones down was the Iranian being snarky- and given it's Iran, a bit of a back handed reference to IranAir 655. And yeah, if it wasn't Iranian there are a lot of others it could be. Iran wouldn't really care if they lost a drone (they'd likely wave their arms about dramatically, of course, and shout stridently about imperialism etc) as their drones are for the most part very cheap and very disposable, unlike a Global Wotsit. They seem to lose a couple a month in Syria, and not really worry about it.

Looks like the IRGC have nabbed a couple of British tankers in the Straits of Hormuz in the last few hours. Not exactly an unexpected development, given events at Gibraltar.

If this doesn't convince people that the Hague is a tool of the west, then I don't know what will. Don't get me wrong he fully deserves to go there for the **** he has done.

https://www.serbianmonitor.com/en/breaking-news-ramush-haradinaj-resigns-as-kosovo-pm-indicted-by-the-special-court/

Edited by Sarex
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Skarpen, do you own stock in a prison or something? 

Nobody in their right mind is saying we should release murderers and rapists and other violent offenders. Pretty much everything I've seen has been calling for low level offenders generally ones with possession charges of personal use amounts of drugs. Some of these plans also have some decent bipartisan support and Trump has already supported and signed the First Step Act.

If you want to keep taking all the worst cases and applying them across the board then I guess that's your windmill to tilt at

Well of course I do. Because people can only support something you are against if they have personal interest in it, right? Come on ShadySands, you are better that this.
I wasn't aware that the Dems campaing to release imaginary people. There are no people in prisons with only possession charges or personal use. Contrary to what Dems are telling. The fact that their pet case is a violent drug lord that murdered people should be a red light for their supporters, but I guess they follow Democrats in a way they accuse Trump supporters of doing. Which is also a tradition, Democrats doing exactly what they accuse others of.

166215__front.jpg

Well, you clearly have some investment in this for some reason.

Is it overblown that prisons are filled with people with just possesion charges? Yes, very much so but to say that nobody is in prison because of it goes against the data available.  Also, this is just counting prisons and not jails which I'm sure would increase the numbers quite a bit.

Edited by ShadySands

39 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Is it overblown that prisons are filled with people with just possesion charges? Yes, very much so but to say that nobody is in prison because of it goes against the data available.  Also, this is just counting prisons and not jails which I'm sure would increase the numbers quite a bit.

I was gonna respond to skarpen whether he'd be willing to test that hypothesis by coming over here with some personal drugs and get caught with it, but your response is more reasonable.

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

If this doesn't convince people that the Hag is a tool of the west, then I don't know what will. Don't get me wrong he fully deserves to go there for the **** he has done.

https://www.serbianmonitor.com/en/breaking-news-ramush-haradinaj-resigns-as-kosovo-pm-indicted-by-the-special-court/

I'm confused, how does getting what he deserves make the Hague a tool of the west? In one breath you basically say it's all political and seemingly imply that he doesn't deserve it, then the next you say he deserves it.

9 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

In other news many of the Dem candidates are spending campaign funds faster than they raise them: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/presidential-campaigns-burn-through-cash-faster-than-they-bring-it-in

Well, they are better qualified to be President than I though. They will fit right into the role. 

I think I read somewhere that the high burn rates, especially for those polling around 1%, is that they're pushing hard to meet the debate requirements, thus they have to burn more than they'd probably like in order to get there.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The same investmemt as everybody else here posting and discussing things. *shrug*. If you provide some data I would be happy to look at it. But from what I know simple possesion isn't even a crime, it's misdemeanor. Well jails and prisons are different things and I don't think anyone is campaigning to release ppl from jails, that would be wierd. Assuming they work the same as here, which I think they do.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

I was gonna respond to skarpen whether he'd be willing to test that hypothesis by coming over here with some personal drugs and get caught with it, but your response is more reasonable.

Different situation as I would be noncitizen. Also a wierd way to check the law. It's easier to check what the law says. And it says simple possesion is a misdemeanor and is not punished by prison time.

166215__front.jpg

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

I'm confused, how does getting what he deserves make the Hague a tool of the west? In one breath you basically say it's all political and seemingly imply that he doesn't deserve it, then the next you say he deserves it.

I

Its not and it never has been,  Sarex and some other  Serbs have never  accepted any responsibility for there countries war crimes in the conflicts in the Balkans . He will tell you that Serbs have been unfairly targeted but they weren't. Both the Croats and the Bosniaks have citizens  also facing war crimes but Serbia does have the most people at the Hague because proportionately they committed the most war crimes. This should be something that people just accept as a bad time in there countries history and move on, its not a negative reflection on Serbia nowadays but trying to deny history is unhelpful 

https://www.juridipedia.com/NL/The-Hague/213571248658853/International-Criminal-Tribunal-for-the-former-Yugoslavia---ICTY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Tribunal_for_the_former_Yugoslavia

It reminds me of criticism from certain African dictators and leaders who committed egregious war crimes and human rights abuses and now undermine the ICC and claim " its a Western tool to prosecute African leaders "  when in fact it provides a way to prosecute people who cant be charged in certain African countries because these countries simply dont have the institutions or resources to effectively do it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, smjjames said:

The west wants the "negotiations" between Serbia and Kosovo to continue, Serbia refuses because of the taxes (100%) that were imposed on it by Kosovo. Haradinaj is their proponent and doesn't want them removed, his political carrier depends on him not giving up on them. So what does he do when the pressure from the west is getting too great? He gets called to Hague, which gives him a reason to resign, thus not be involved in the removal of the taxes and then he will be released and come back to run for another political position. Also he will get prove his "innocence" by getting release from Hague, which is a win/win for him.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383

More provocative actions from Iran as it seizes a UK tanker for unnecessary reasons....Iran doesnt seem to understand its precarious reality in any military conflict 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela