Steam-addiction

5 hours ago, Rubarbarian said:

I wishlist 300+ games in Steam. It's normal?

Nope, you should have wishlisted them on GOG instead 😛

• Like 8

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I do not know, how it is on Steam, but in GOG you get an email notification, everytime your wishlisted game is on sale. I am putting on my wishlist mostly games where I am not sure, if they will be my cup of tea or not, but spending few bucks on them once in a while is not painful. I found few awesome jewels that way.

• Like 1

You get the email.

Also when looking at a game on the store, the store shows you a list of friends who own the game, but also who has wishlisted it. And yes, when you look at a person's profile, you can check their wishlist, so you can use that to plan presents.

This should be mine for example:

https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198007554934/#sort=order

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I have exactly one game on my Steam wishlist that goes on sale pretty often but I'm just too lazy to log in and remove it. So I keep getting the emails.

My problem is that the longer I have to think about if I really want the games the easier it is to take a pass on them.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I don't let my wishlist get over 30. If I see it at 31, something has to go. I could probably trim it down to 10 realistically.

That said, most of the stuff I bought this summer sale is stuff I deleted off my wishlist a year ago. And one item that was on my wishlist at the time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hmm I probably should not use it then! I have bought way too many games on GOG when they have been reduced to a quid or whatever and I haven't even installed yet. I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED MORROWIND YET! Hell, I have The Witcher 3 because it was reduced to about 5 pounds and I haven't even played that yet.

Don't you think as you get older you really can not justify spending so much time playing on games as when you were young? I would spend 8 hours a day playing WoW for years. Now I can barely get an hour in on a weekend.

• Like 1

nowt

Well it is harder to find play time for sure, but I am trying to find enough time once in a while to finish some games at my backlog. Sometimes more successfully, sometimes less. I still love RPGs, and I try to find enough time over time to finish them even if it takes few years 😄 Thankfully I still have good enough memory, to go back to the story after few months of break 🙂 

• Like 1

I love choices. I hate filler. I'm turned off by even sidequests. "Please go kill the bandits for 14 copper and a piece of lint. They've been sitting in a cave 15 minutes ride south not bothering a single person who was worth having a name. But it says bandit over their head so they really just need to be gone." No.

But I HATE grinds. "Here's a stick for a weapon and some roughly spun wool that we think passes for armor. To actually avenge the death of your wife, you'll need the DEMON HEART ENCRUSTED DIAMOND SWORD of +2000 agility and a suit of THUNDERBOLT IRON PLATEMAIL with enough defense stat for a starship hull. But to even get that you'll need the PICKAXE OF WOE that has a 20% droprate from the demon lord AB'ZZTHFR and he only spawns once a day. Then you'll need to mine 3 cubic miles of METEORIC IRON and kill roughly 50 demons for two hearts. Don't worry about mining for diamonds, just buy them. To get the gold you have to murder and rob the entire population of the nation 3 times over. Now get started."

Quit->Uninstall

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think I'm around 20 games on my wishlist at the moment, but it's mostly because I'm cheap.  I've gotten to the point where I won't buy (most) games unless I can get the whole game (including all DLC, etc.) for under $20 (preferably under $15.)  About the only exception that comes to mind at the moment would be XCOM 3, if it ever gets made.

• Like 1

I think I have some games left over on the wishlist back from when they had a promo where you might win some of the games on it. But in terms of actual practicality, I'd use the wishlist on a third party price aggregator site instead so you know you're getting the best price overall, not the best Steam price. gg.deals (yes that's a URL) is the hot new thing, or there's good ol' IsThereAnyDeal.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

On 7/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, daven said:

I'm starting to think RPG's aren't for me anymore. The thought of starting and completing Witcher 3 is intimidating.

Nah, it's just you getting old. 

I own an embarrassing quantity of games on GOG, but am gradually starting to fret less about never playing majority of them. Biiig -ing deal, it's just entertainment, I'll leave oodles of unread books, unseen films etc when I eventually kick the bucket, so a hundred or two or three unplayed games make no difference. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 9:18 PM, melkathi said:

God, games where you need to make choices. Loved them when I was young(er), quit them for several months now whenever a choice comes up 😄

Depends on the length of the game. Doing something that precludes a satisfying ending in a 10hour game is a lot less agonizing than making a "wrong" choice in something like The Witcher 3...

On 7/12/2019 at 10:35 PM, Tale said:

I love choices. I hate filler. I'm turned off by even sidequests. "Please go kill the bandits for 14 copper and a piece of lint. They've been sitting in a cave 15 minutes ride south not bothering a single person who was worth having a name. But it says bandit over their head so they really just need to be gone." No.

But I HATE grinds. "Here's a stick for a weapon and some roughly spun wool that we think passes for armor. To actually avenge the death of your wife, you'll need the DEMON HEART ENCRUSTED DIAMOND SWORD of +2000 agility and a suit of THUNDERBOLT IRON PLATEMAIL with enough defense stat for a starship hull. But to even get that you'll need the PICKAXE OF WOE that has a 20% droprate from the demon lord AB'ZZTHFR and he only spawns once a day. Then you'll need to mine 3 cubic miles of METEORIC IRON and kill roughly 50 demons for two hearts. Don't worry about mining for diamonds, just buy them. To get the gold you have to murder and rob the entire population of the nation 3 times over. Now get started."

Quit->Uninstall

Well, depends on the type of grind, how mandatory it is (is it progression blocking or optional) and how many ways there are to get to your goal.

I absolutely detest "daily quest" grind in the likes of WoW but I don't much mind murdering the same mooks over and over to gain reputation with a faction, or to get some item to drop, or somesuch (assuming said murdering is, in itself satisfying aka. the combat system isn't total garbage, but then why play in the first place?). If I can combine that with something else (eg. some quests here or there, or collecting doohikeys I can do something with) then I don't really mind. There shouldn't be downtime though, not "kill this guy, now stand around for 5minutes so you can kill this exact guy again". Yeah, no thanks.

So basically if there's no pressure behind it (eg. you shall do this grind to get your "item level" high enough so we arbitrarily allow you to now enter this new dungeon) then I'm generally fine with it. Case in point: I've grinded quite a few reputations in EverQuest 2 just to get cool titles or new furniture to make (my character was a carpenter), neither of those was the kind of progression blocking chore games like to (try to) foist on you and they didn't prey on FOMO by making it time limited either. Some of those took me months to years to eventually complete but it's not like they were going anywhere. They also have the advantage of not being bound to chance (this recipe book has a 0.01% chance to drop from Lizard People) while still making certain things somewhat rare (as not everyone will bother with them)

As for wishlists, the Steam one is annoying in the sense that you can't hide it without making the entire profile private. Using it as a "watchlist" has backfired around my birthday on a few occasions, and the "follow" feature is too invasive as it then just spams you with all their news updates. Gog's nicer in that way (I think, don't have any "friends" on Gog) and the e-mails are a nice feature.

My biggest problem with choices is that I do not trust game writers to have reasonable results. I could go into a long rant about how good and bad are equally valid and everything is gray really, is an idiotic, cowardly and selfish stance that paves the way for evil men, but I'll save that for when I am not eating ice cream. Suffice to say, if we went with Kotor II Kreia logic, all mothers should be tried for conspiracy to commit murder, as none of their children would die if they hadn't given birth to them in the first place.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).