I'm looking to build a pure DPS caster class but can't decide between the Wizard, Druid, Priest and Chanter (no Cipher, as I already have one) or a combination thereof.

What is the general consensus on the best caster for damage?

Edited by Seriphos

Priests perform way better as supports.
Chanters will have limited casts so I wouldn't say they qualify as pure nukers (although an empowered Eld Nary can wipe clean entire encounters at normal difficulty).

Both wizard and druid (fury) can qualify as nukers and dish out spectacular spell damage with their high PL spells.
Ancient Druid can also be considered a great caster dps, but with stacking a lot of dots rather than direct damage.

Debonaire/Wizard if you use your Cipher for mass charming. 

Debonaire gets 100% crit conversion on any charmed enemy. And Wizard has many friendly-fire spells.

This can completely remove the PEN issues of most damaging wizard spells on PotD.

Use items and abilities which increase crit damage.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I guess it depends how you quantify "Nuker" but Priests have a lot of great damage spells. The Symbols, Shining Beacon, Pillar of Holy Fire, Storm of Holy Fire, Divine Mark, Magran's Might, Hand of Weal and Woe...

They're maybe not as efficient at Damage over Time spells as a Druid or as great at burst damage as a Wizard but they're a good mix of both damage options. Dual wielding Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon is a nice setup for most Priests. 

They can also do the trick that some Warlock builds like to do which is equip the Revku gear and stand in their own fire spells healing themselves and laughing as enemies blow up. Wade in, drop an empowered Holy Fire right on your own face, and watch them all burn.

I've decided to go with an Evoker. Just tested it in the Crucible during one of the arena matches, and this was the result after two fights:

image.png.94f4ff8e5092f529591f5619c31dc7ed.png

I guess that answers it.

However, I have another question, and don't want to create another thread. I'm building a group of mercenaries and I'm trying to utilize every class while at it. Since you can only hire 8 adventures, that leaves a total of 9 people (including the main character) that I can create. So far, I've the following composition pretty much set in stone:

Main character - Paladin(St. Elcga)/Fighter(Unbroken)

Companion 1 - Rogue(Assassin)/Ranger(Sharpshooter)

Companion 2 - Cipher(Beguiler)/Rogue(Trickster)

Companion 3 - Paladin(St. Elcga)/Wizard(Blood Mage)

Companion 4 - Wizard(Evoker)

Companion 5 - Priest(Berath)

Companion 6 - ???

Companion 7 - ???

Companion 8 - ???

As you can see, I need three more, and there's still 4 classes I haven't utilized: Chanter, Druid, Monk, Barbarian.

How would you build the rest of the characters? I'm thinking pure Barbarian and Monk (too good PL8 and 9 abilities to pass up) and then Druid/Chanter. But I don't know how I feel about multiclassing two casters.

What would you guys suggest? If you can utilize the remaining 4 classes within two chars, feel free to suggest another combination for my 8th character.

Edited by Seriphos

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Debonaire/Wizard if you use your Cipher for mass charming. 

Debonaire gets 100% crit conversion on any charmed enemy. And Wizard has many friendly-fire spells.

This can completely remove the PEN issues of most damaging wizard spells on PotD.

Use items and abilities which increase crit damage.

Goddammit now I have to start a new character again. Any suggestions on a build, particularly stats distribution? 

While I like a Warlock nowadays I think Druid/Barb is even nicer.

TryBerserker/Ancient. In my opinion that's even better. Berserker/Fury is nice, too. Although I like the DoTs more.

Ancient/Helwalker is also very nice. +10 MIG/+10 INT with AoE DoTs is great. 

For a Debonaire/Wizard you just want to play it as a ranged caster. Since Debonaire can't engage (so no Persistent Distraction) he wants to stay at range anyways. Makes it also easier to keep party members around to prevent "Cowardice" from happening.

Stuff like Kalakoth's Minor Blights with Toxic Strike is still very nice. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

20 minutes ago, Seriphos said:

What do you think of a Barbarian/Monk and a Paladin/Druid? If you think they're good, which subclasses would you recommend for them?

Can't say much about Liberator but I've had good success with Berserker/Nalpazca for fast Wound generation and obvious synergy with Svef (prevents Berserker Frenzy's Confusion and satisfies a drug requirement). It's definitely a crit-based build, and there is some wasted overlap with Swift Strikes and Frenzy, so it can be a bit ropey early on. Positioning is vital for that multi: to trigger One Stands Alone and avoid hostile Arcane Dampeners (they'll wreck you fast if they connect).

• Like 1

Interesting. So this is what I'm thinking for the remaining 3 classes:

Paladin(St.Elcga/Chanter(Troubadour)

Paladin(St.Elcga/Druid(Lifegiver) OR Druid(Ancient)/Barbarian(Berserker)

Fighter(Devoted)/Monk(Nalpazca) OR Barbarian(Berserker)/Monk(Nalpazca)

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seriphos said:

Thanks to whoever suggested Berserker/Nalpazca. I'm having a ball with this combo, and I especially love the character concept from a role-playing standpoint. Think it's one of my favorite classes now.

Ravager is the bomb. Like I said, watch out for Arcane Dampener. If it connects, it will remove your drug effect and inflict a crash. Clarity of Agony is recommended.

Kinda related to this topic: what would the best nuker class with foe aoe spells only? Evoker is the greatest nuker sure, but all of his spells will destroy your frontline.

Would it be cipher? Seems like all the DPS spells are pretty much foe aoe.

I can easily get away with the Evoker firing off AoE spells while avoiding my front-liners. Remember that the outer part of the AoE circle doesn't inflict friendly fire-- positioning is key. And I don't mind friendly fire once in a while because the chances are that once my Evoker's spell goes off, the battle's finished as they're usually an insta-kill. Not to mention that my front-liners are pretty tanky and can easily heal.

For my last character, I'm having trouble deciding between a Berserker/Ancient and Paladin/Lifegiver. HELP.

On the one hand, I want another Paladin just so I can run an all Paladin party for RP reasons, but Berserker/Ancient sounds intriguing. 

Edited by Seriphos

Frenzy, Blooded, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst works with DoTs. Druid spells have quite long recovery and multiclassing with barb can reduce it a lot, or often remove completly with blood thirst.

If you aim for casting from behind, fury shaper would be better, but if you want to jump into middle of the fight and use DoT+Blood Thirst kills effect, to swing your weapon faster, then pick berserker.

2 hours ago, Seriphos said:

The primary reason for multiclassing an Ancient with a Berserker is Frenzy, correct? For the bonus to damage/PEN and AR? What other abilities would you pick for the Barbarian?

Echoing Powerotti here: I'd pick up Furyshaper (normal Barb in melee). As an Ancient a majority of your damage will come from raw damage, which isn't impacted by PEN.