Do we know what they are yet?  I haven't seen a whole lot of information on the interwebz regarding The Outer Worlds, and am very curious about this.  I still yearn for the days of Arcanum, where "beauty" was a an attribute and making your character beautiful or ugly had real consequences.  I sincerely doubt that in today's politically correct world that Obsidian would have enough courage to bring beauty back as an attribute... but who knows?  

What about "luck"?  A feature in many RPGs I love (especially Fallout and Arcanum), will I be able to play my Doc Holliday character again?  Rolling around with low charisma and constitution, but high agility, luck and a pair of pistols, stealing everyone's money in card games and games of chance... and shooting those who mistake my physical frailty for weakness and vulnerability.

Are there any good screenshots of the character creation screens?

"1 is 1"

Interesting - thanks!  No idea what "temperment" is... as an attribute.  Normally that is some sort of thing that you "earn" based on your actions, decisions and statements.  I can't see how you would "put points" into having a certain temperment. 

And I find it somewhat odd that so little has been revealed, but it is supposed to release in October.  Does anyone else think that is overly ambitious and it is likely going to get delayed?  I mean, Wasteland 3 has revealed more, and they pushed their date from late 2019 (basically the same time) to April 2020... which is probably a bad idea, what with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out then as well (they should probably wait until June or something).

"1 is 1"

16 minutes ago, Michael_Galt said:

Interesting - thanks!  No idea what "temperment" is... as an attribute.  Normally that is some sort of thing that you "earn" based on your actions, decisions and statements.  I can't see how you would "put points" into having a certain temperment. 

And I find it somewhat odd that so little has been revealed, but it is supposed to release in October.  Does anyone else think that is overly ambitious and it is likely going to get delayed?  I mean, Wasteland 3 has revealed more, and they pushed their date from late 2019 (basically the same time) to April 2020... which is probably a bad idea, what with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out then as well (they should probably wait until June or something).

Eh, I actually think a lot has been revealed about this game. You might even say pretty much everything except for the character creation and attributes.

Note that the wiki page is based on a glimpse of the game's user interface we saw back in March. It's possible that the attributes have changed since then.

So... I went to that Wiki, and there is basically nothing there.  I don't care about the corporations or companions, we'll see what they are like in-game.  I have really only seen some limited amount of information about combat and dialogue options, and not much else.  We are less than 4 months away, and besides some promo trailers and a bit of gameplay, it is pretty sparse on the information.  I know that this game has been in development for a while, so that strikes me as quite odd.  I would think that they are literally in the final stages of polishing and QC right now... which means that we should have tons of information. 

Yet we don't even have a character creation screen or explanation of the combat system, attributes, minigames (if there are any), etc.  I'm not whining about this, I just find it odd.  I feel like they are not going to meet the date they set for release, given how relatively little has been shared.

"1 is 1"

3 hours ago, Michael_Galt said:

So... I went to that Wiki, and there is basically nothing there.  I don't care about the corporations or companions, we'll see what they are like in-game.  I have really only seen some limited amount of information about combat and dialogue options, and not much else.  We are less than 4 months away, and besides some promo trailers and a bit of gameplay, it is pretty sparse on the information.  I know that this game has been in development for a while, so that strikes me as quite odd.  I would think that they are literally in the final stages of polishing and QC right now... which means that we should have tons of information. 

Yet we don't even have a character creation screen or explanation of the combat system, attributes, minigames (if there are any), etc.  I'm not whining about this, I just find it odd.  I feel like they are not going to meet the date they set for release, given how relatively little has been shared.

Obsidian has always sucked at marketing/advertising. This is nothing new. You'd think Private Division would do a decent job at it, but I guess that since they already  got their money, whether the game succeeds or flops is inconsequential to them so they just no-assed it, too.

Edited by JBento
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, Michael_Galt said:

There are no minigames.

I think you're discounting the amount of information that has been revealed, but do remember that this is not a crowdfunded game. Obsidian don't have to produce crunch-filled updates for their hardcore enthusiast backers. Attribute infodumps aren't exactly prime marketing material and with most mass market titles you don't find out too much about that stuff until the game is out. It's a Bethesda-esque first person action-RPG - you've seen one, you've seen a bunch.

Edited by Infinitron

On 7/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, uuuhhii said:

temperament isn't about emotion

but effect of long cryosleep?

That actually makes a lot of sense.  More "temperament" = more "time dilation" or something to that effect.  I really hope that isn't the case, because I think that I am really going to want time dilation (aka, VATS), and I don't like the idea that I might have to dedicate an entire attribute to it rather than it just being a composite of several which have other utility outside of combat.  Unless this is ALSO useful outside of combat... maybe for conversations and technical tasks?

Also, the dictionary doesn't agree with you, unless you are talking about something that the developers said:

temperament

noun

the combination of mental, physical, and emotional traits of a person; natural predisposition.
unusual personal attitude or nature as manifested by peculiarities of feeling, temper, action, etc., often with a disinclination to submit to conventional rules or restraints.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:15 AM, Infinitron said:

There are no minigames.

I think you're discounting the amount of information that has been revealed, but do remember that this is not a crowdfunded game. Obsidian don't have to produce crunch-filled updates for their hardcore enthusiast backers. Attribute infodumps aren't exactly prime marketing material and with most mass market titles you don't find out too much about that stuff until the game is out. It's a Bethesda-esque first person action-RPG - you've seen one, you've seen a bunch.

Well, through more Googling, found out there will indeed be no mini-games OR gambling... that makes me sad.  Arcanum had gambling.  FO: NV had gambling.  I enjoyed gambling in both... so, no Doc Holliday character this time.   

I am not counting information provided in video interviews.  I know that people love being illiterate nowadays, but I don't have the time or patience to sit through hour long interviews where the interviewer will inevitably ask a bunch of stupid questions so I can potentially get a couple answers I actually care about.  I miss the day when journalists actually had to know how to write articles and I could read in 10 minutes what it took them an hour in real time to say. 

And while I fully grant that there is a difference between being crowd-funded versus not (in terms of information dissemination), there really has been very little put out.  This is the only game coming out this year that I am interested in (since Wasteland 3 got pushed to 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077 is set for the same time frame - Q2), yet I know LESS about this game than I know about either of those games.  I know A LOT about Cyberpunk 2077, which was not crowd-funded, and it comes out nearly a year from now.  I know way more about WL3 and it comes out at the same time.  I don't even know what temperament is, and apparently neither does anyone else... and this game is hypothetically going to be released in a little over 3 months. 

I understand that Obsidian had to keep their cards close to their chest for a while, for a variety of reasons... but how do they expect to build hype when there is so little information out there regarding a game they are releasing in Q4? 

"1 is 1"

On 7/7/2019 at 7:31 AM, Michael_Galt said:

Well, through more Googling, found out there will indeed be no mini-games OR gambling... that makes me sad.  Arcanum had gambling.  FO: NV had gambling.  I enjoyed gambling in both...

Lootboxes then?

On 7/11/2019 at 3:54 PM, daven said:

Kotor 2 had gambling, don't forget that as well.

Pazaak was a pretty good little game.

I actually did forget that.  Now this makes me even sadder, because I honestly enjoyed gambling in 3 different Obsidian games, and it was done well in each of them.  It seems borderline preposterous to me that I won't be able to gamble in what is essentially a "space western" with a bit of punk in it. 

I just hope that they don't make stealing impossible/worthless, considering that is something that I enjoy doing in an RPG as well... but I have heard 0 mention of it in anything I have read or watched regarding The Outer Worlds... so should probably assume that it isn't going to be in the game.  And since there is no "luck" attribute like in Arcanum or FO:NV... that means it probably isnt in.

"1 is 1"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I'm a bit of a shame that luck hasn't made it in, but as long as all of the stats are useful for most play styles I'll be happy. 

I'm glad that there are no compulsory minigames for lockpicking and hacking, but it's a shame that optional ones that could help you roleplay a character are not in. Hopefully if The Outer Worlds does really well, it might make it in to the sequels.

• 1 month later...

For one thing, if it's Tim/Leonard who are free to create the game system they like, i personnaly have no worry regarding this point. I don't expect to see a copy paste of what already exists. "Beauty" was actually a pretty surprising idea in Arcanum at the time, and there was quite a few others like this. And after playing a while, it all made full sense.

I'm more worried about how these game systems created will be used, considering how Obsidian has clearly shifted its focus regarding game mechanics in RPGs since Pillars II, going more towards accessibility/practicality than making sense. Bioware and Bethesda did the same back in the day.  Hum...

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...