Himbo 

1. a good-looking but unintelligent young man.
    "how did she trick audiences conditioned to drool over himbos into falling for a middle-aged guy with a slight case of rheumatism?"

I have never heard this word in 29 years of life. Err... Yeah I guess he is! Although isn't he meant to be middle aged?

Edit: Since my girlfriend just falls asleep when I go on a rant about meaningless things, my only outlet is online.

I can't stand portmanteu's of words. They always come off as a desperate attempt to appeal to the hip and young or whatever but always seems like a boardroom of executives and marketing people came up with it! I think the worst part of the entire Britian voting to leave the EU thing is that AWFUL TERM everyone has decided to use. I refuse to say it, it's so stupid and that will be the word that goes down in the history books. At least one day the sun will become a red giant and all history of this nonsense will go forever. Unless someone managed to figure out the secret to interstellar travel and takes our pointless history with them!!!!

/rant

Edited by daven
A tangential rant
  • Thanks 3

nowt

Never heard of the word before but consensus suggest it means a stupid good looking man. Unless I remember incorrectly, eder has an intelligence of 10... which makes him average which is not stupid, maybe if you min max and set his INT to 3 he may qualify :p ... but then again, is Eder good looking?

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

While developing the character of Edér he went from Fighter to Rogue and back to Fighter. His INT score was changed from 13 at release to 10 because maybe some players thought that 13 INT was too unoptimized for a Fighter (they didn't understand PoE Fighters I guess ;)).

Anyways, from the official description of Edér:

"Though people tend to dismiss him as somewhat of a simpleton due to his appearance, background, and partiality to enjoying smoking whiteleaf, Edér often proves to be surprisingly observant of his surroundings and rather well-articulated."

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Anyways, from the official description of Edér:

"Though people tend to dismiss him as somewhat of a simpleton due to his appearance, background, and partiality to enjoying smoking whiteleaf, Edér often proves to be surprisingly observant of his surroundings and rather well-articulated."

I'd say this is exactly how he comes across in the game. He's not educated but he's definitely street-smart. Or, given his background, agri-smart or rural-smart, however you want to put it.

In Germany we have the perfect term for that (I mean as usual right? ;) ).

It's called "Bauernschläue" - which would translate to "farmers' smartness" or something. So basically agri-smart. :)

It describes a certain form of cunning.

Ha... I just learned that it can be translated to "peasant's cunning" - according to dict.cc. Is that a real thing?

So Edér is def. bauernschlau. And funny, too. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the equivalent of farmer's smartness exists in many European and Uralic languages (at least). I suppose it's eminently reasonable that it does, given how there have always been smart agrarian people who haven't received much in the way of formal education.

On the other hand we have the saying "Der dümmste Bauer hat die dicksten Kartoffeln" which would translate to "The most stupid farmer grows the biggest potatoes".

With a little bit of fantasy you could also translate that to "The most stupid farmer has the biggest balls" - which would make even more sense somehow I guess.

And suddenly the himbo circle is complete. ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fYNX said:

In my opinion, this saying has an obvious sexual subtext.

Not intended I guess. I never heard it used that way. Only as a saying when luck shines on the greatest dumbo... again. 

"Himbo and dumbo... dancing mumbo jumbo..."

I say summer hit!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 12:36 AM, fYNX said:

In my opinion, this saying has an obvious sexual subtext.

In general, whether a saying has obvious sexual subtext or not is not a matter of opinion. These things tend to be culturally defined and no one person's opinion matters. Meanings also change, but that, again, is not a matter of personal opinion. Like, the meaning "homosexual" in the word "gay" did not exist three hundred years ago, but it is very much an obvious meaning these days -- completely regardless of what any one person thinks about it.

It's worth pointing out that "himbo" is a male variant for the term "bimbo", which as far as I'm aware does have sexual implications to it, and is something of a pejorative/sexist term too. Maybe both also have a root on "dumbo" but that is not the specific word being referenced by the term, nor is "dumb" the only component to what is referred to with it.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden