Hello and thanks for the build. Just a few questions if I may.

1. Would this build work on Veteran without Berath's stat blessing and also as another race?

2. Does this build generate back monk resources in any way?

Since the build was designed for PotD it would work on Veteran too. And with forbidden fist, every time a hostile effect expires you gain a wound. With high resolve and clarity of agony, negative effects expire very quickly. In the early game FF builds tend to be starved for wounds, but this changes when you get Hylea's talons. They also shine in tough fights against foes with hard CC, which a well-designed FF can shrug off easily, gaining wounds in the process.

Don't know if that was already mentioned: when going solo (and it's totally possible with this build) you might check out the Ring of the Solitary Wanderer (from the early Drake bounty who's name eludes me... Pukuhatakatemate or something).

It has -35% hostile effect duration with no allies nearby. That's the equivalent of nearly 12 points of Resolve, even if Resolve would be maxed out at 35 (which I'm not sure how to achieve, but theoretically). I never tested how Resolve and other hostile effect reductions stack. Are they additive or would they combine more like recovery reductions for example?

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I never tested how Resolve and other hostile effect reductions stack. Are they additive or would they combine more like recovery reductions for example?

They multiply, i believe. 50% + 30% reduction is not 80%, but 0.5duration*0.7duration=0.35, so 65% reduction. Each subsequent effect have lower impact.

sorry, to disappoint, but i'm almost 100% sure it's the double-inversion fiasco. i had a max-resolve character once.

35 resolve (19 starting + 1 background, +5 cloak of poverty, +1 ring of solitary wanderer, +1 chameleon ring [priest], +1 shorewalker sandals, +2 token of faith, +5 a resolve inspiration) = -75% reduction

ring of solitary wanderer: -35% when far away from allies

Almost any negative number (regardless of what it is, e.g. con healthy penalty, int aoe penalty, reputation effects on deep faith) undergoes inversion. So what actually ends up happening is (1/(1-.75)) + (1/(1-.35) - 1 = 4.54 => 4.54 is > 0, so 1-1/(1 + 4.54) = -82%. this is not as good as a purely multiplicative effect, which sould have been 1 - .25 * .65 => -83.75%. (edit 2 - though the closer the numbers involved are to 100% and the closer any positive modifiers are to canceling out the inverted negative numbers, the more closely it approximates a purely multipliative system)

edit: what's important to keep in mind is that the resolve effects on duration are applied during the same step as intellect bonuses, they don't happen in isolation. so if an enemy has +100% duration to their effects, having your hostile effect reduction this high doesn't merely reduce it to +18% duration bonus, the double-inversion overwhelms that +100% and you still end up with something like -50% duration penalty (ballparking, because i'm too lazy to do the math) effect reduction. in the combat log, the duration of effects you see is the "final" number, and if you hover over it you get the number of what *would* have happened ignoring resolve effects altogether.

Edited by thelee

1 hour ago, thelee said:

sorry, to disappoint, but i'm almost 100% sure it's the double-inversion fiasco. i had a max-resolve character once.

I'm not disappointed at all 😁. I was testing it roughly with character sheet tooltips and the numbers seemed suitable

10 minutes ago, Powerotti said:

I'm not disappointed at all 😁. I was testing it roughly with character sheet tooltips and the numbers seemed suitable

in fairness, there's not that many sources of hostile effect reduction, and i think if you have only one negative number it ends up being very close to a multpilicative system (good enough for back of the envelope math and determining how to cancel out penalties, i do this for penetration/AR numbers). it can get really ugly pretty fast with multiple negative numbers (action speed/recovery time is the worst offender since there's so many modifiers).

e.g. at -75% PEN you need +300% damag emodifiers to cancel that out, which is very much like a multiplicative system. Combining -75% PEN and -50% graze and now you need +400% damage modifiers, which is very different from what you'd expect from a multiplicative system.

Edited by thelee