New to the game and looking for a good wizard dps build. I have tried searching for builds but I saw there was a big nerf to wizards in earlier patches. How are wizards currently? Anyone have a fun, viable build? Thanks.

This is my favorite Wiz build.

EHxseNr.jpg

Equipment:

- Thaos headdress: +1 INT + 5 accuracy +10dmg against flanked targets.

- Kuaru price: +1INT/PER +5% dmg with spells.

- Chamelon touch: +1 INT. Late game: Ring of prosperity

- Cloak of the theocrat: +1 INT/RES

- Girdle of Eothun: +3 CON

- Charm of bones: +2 INT

- Boots of the stone: +1DEX/RES, resistance to might afflictions

- Weapons: Eye of wael/Amailorra + Chromoprismatic quarterstaff

- Kana blood pool from POE1 to get an additional +1INT.

- Pet: Milx (+1INT +5% crit with abilities and spells)

- Armor: Aloth armor +15% AOE

- Gloves: Gauntlets of accuracy +3 ACC

Late game you can have 35INT with the permanent boost potion.

I don't care too much about DPS because I focus on debuffs specially those you can cast from the unique grimoires. I pick all the passives on level up and use the grimoires for spells. My advice is to hunt the unique grimoires as soon as you can because the unique spells you can cast from them are very powerful.

Edited by indika_tates
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leit Motif said:

Can you please elaborate on your Helwalker Sage build? What is your role and playstyle? What difficulty? How do you stay alive with Max Might and average Con?

My role is killing 😅 Difficulty PotD.

Started 10/10/15/18/15/8 

• Thanks 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

On 6/14/2019 at 4:08 AM, Waski said:
On 6/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, Leit Motif said:

Can you please elaborate on your Helwalker Sage build? What is your role and playstyle? What difficulty? How do you stay alive with Max Might and average Con?

My role is killing 😅 Difficulty PotD

Can you spell out how you got those stats? I'm curious if I can match it. So far you've got +10 MGT from Helwalker and +10 INT from Duality. +1INT and +1 DEX from Chameleon's Touch while I can't place the rest. The other equips don't contribute to it so it's either you got those stats from inspirations (+5 ea.) and other bonus spells or events (If you had a Chanter, that's another +5MGT, +5CON and +5PER(?) from The Brideman Slew... Invocation) Any assistance? Much obliged.

As for a WIzard build suggestion, you can't go wrong with the following: 

• A "Pure" WIzard (I prefer Universalist for flavor but Blood Mage would work) 
  • Chanter (Bellower) + Wizard (Universalist or Blood Mage).
  • Wizard (Evoker) + Druid (Fury) [Evoker + Life-giver for a more versatile experience]

The main difficulty of the first build is resource management (supposing you're not going Blood Mage).

Wizard builds can basically divided into three types: Casters, Summoners and Martialists (note that this is not an in-game division, I just grouped them for simplicity). You can  focus on 

• hard-hitting single-hit spells (Evocation) 
  • field-changing skills like traps, tentacles, and the like (Conjuration and Transmutation) and
  • Weapon Summons and Self-Buffs (Enchantment and Illusions).

Building your mage around each of these (admittedly artificial) "archetypes" allows you to get a good idea of what your Wizard will look like without getting lost with the sheer number of skills available to the class. You need not stick too closely to the archetypes (naturally) but they are a good basis for finding synergies with other classes. Say you want to be a Shifter (The Druid subclass that specializes in transformations). Taking all the important buff spells (mostly Enchanting and Illusions) will allow you to build a shifter that can make the most of its melee aptitude while field spells can be of great assistance in keeping enemies in place. Something like that.

So, with that out of the way, I can focus on discussing the builds. I'll make this quick just so that we have an overview.

1. Wizard (singleclassed, any subclass) - Compared to other varieties, a singleclass Wizard has more resources than most martial alternatives. 2 resources may seem dinky at first but you'll find that in almost all battles you take your Wizard to, you'll be left with 2 spells in other categories. You will always have more than you need but never enough of what you want so the best way to fight would be to find two good grimoires with spells you really like for each of the PL. For this route, the name of the game is Power Level (abreviated PL) and spell variety. Read up a guide on what PLs are if you're into it, but the most obvious sources are levelling up (the row headers on the Abilities screen tell you what PL you are at, single-class gets you to PL9, multiclass gets you to PL7), Empowering abilities (+5 PL to any Empowered spells).
  2. Bellower multiclass (Bellower + any Wizard) - Building on the idea of PLs, the Bellower's special is giving PLs based on the number of stored Phrases from the Chanter class. This makes for a very powerful wizard once you hit a maximum of 7 Phrases, giving a PL bonus of +7 upon using an Invocation. This makes for a very powerful set of endgame spells due to the bonus. Needless to say that this build only really takes off at endgame when you can get the Bellower bonus.
  3. Druid multiclass (Fury + Evoker) - If resources were a problem earlier, this will hardly be the case with this multiclass. Of all the caster combinations, this pair takes the cake for sheer casting variety, allowing you to throw around any number of spells while having almost double the resources of a singleclassed Wizard an a wide variety of stuns, holds and burns. Fury makes you give up some healing, but you get more damage instead.

There are other alternatives--primarily martial alternatives--but I've listed these three because I find them fun. Hopefully you do as well.

Edited by Aeodred
Clarity
  • Like 1

@up I don't remember what gear I had then( I switch a lot), but 

Str: 10+2BB+2bonus from bog+15monk+1gift+1Rabunya boon

Con:10+2BB+2bonus from the bog+1belt(and +5 with infuse) 

Dex:15+2BB+2bonus from bog+5monk+1ring+1shoes+1 Rabunya boon

Per:18+2BB+3Bonus from bog+1sagani+5eldrich aim(+1maybe background or kuaru prize) 

Int:15+2BB+2bonus from the bog+1ring+10 monk+2 necklace + 1maybe kuaru prize

Res: 8+2BB +2bonus from the bog +2shoes+2Rabunya +2 Nature resolve

More or less that what is on the screenshot ,  later I can check  exactly. 

• Thanks 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

3 hours ago, Aeodred said:
  1. Bellower multiclass (Bellower + any Wizard) - Building on the idea of PLs, the Bellower's special is giving PLs based on the number of stored Phrases from the Chanter class. This makes for a very powerful wizard once you hit a maximum of 7 Phrases, giving a PL bonus of +7 upon using an Invocation. This makes for a very powerful set of endgame spells due to the bonus. Needless to say that this build only really takes off at endgame when you can get the Bellower bonus. 

Not OP but any chance you could elaborate a bit more on chanter synergy as in which phrases and invocations to use?

29 minutes ago, Rimiu said:

Not OP but any chance you could elaborate a bit more on chanter synergy as in which phrases and invocations to use?

Isn't that bonus PL belower only??? 

Edit,  wrong quote.  It's about wizard/belower 

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

1 minute ago, Waski said:

Nevermind😂,  btw you can extend bellower +PL bonus with wall of draining 😉

Not a fan of Wall of Draining cheese. Might as well just go priest with it and never die. It's so lame.

Island with Bipara,  north west corner.  You have to drink from the pool and you can gain 3 different temporary bonuses +2might and con, +2 per and dex and +2 int and res,  or injury.  And You can make special potion there too for permanent +1 bonus to whatever you want. 

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

10 hours ago, Waski said:

Isn't that bonus PL belower only??? 

Just tested it to be sure and yes, it is. I seem to be mistaken in thinking that it applies to Wizard as well but the idea is still pretty good. Several Chanter spells benefit greatly from power level. The best I can think of are Thrice Wronged, Singt o' Eld Nary, Seven Nights She Waited, Hyel-Hyraf, etc. Basically avoid the summon spells. PL affects duration, damage, penetration and projectile count. The spell that benefits most would be Eld Nary since it has a projectile count, penetration and damage. The spells that will benefit least would be the summon spells since they only get duration and have pretty good duration as they are. 

Failing Bellower, you can try a Skald. Just pick up CItzal's Lance and some Crit-conversion like Merciless Gaze. Since the attack is AoE, the chance to Crit would be much higher than normal, meaning more spells to cast in a shorter amount of time.